English words you think are unique to your country/region.

If a shirt is pieced together from woven (not knit) fabric, it’s “cut n’ sewed.”

To “modock” is to drive very fast.

Someone who is unattractive “would make a steam train take a dirt road.”

A bluegill here is a delicious variety of sunfish. In other places, they’re called shell-crackers, and anglers think they’re a trash fish.

A crappie (CROP-ee) here is known elsewhere as a papermouth or a calico bass, among other things.

In Montreal, a lot of words get stolen from French and used by the English-speakers as though they were English. Examples:

Autoroute (auto-root) - highway
Dep - corner store, taken from “dépanneur”
Guichet (gi-shay) - ATM
I know there are plenty more, but I can’t think of any at the moment. Of course, the same thing happens the other way, with French stealing from English. Either way, if you do it right and are bilingual enough, you can speak “Frenglish”, which is what I was doing for most of my teen and adult life while I lived in Montreal.

Some expressions, too, like “close the lights” and “just let me put my coat” are from too-literally translated French. They’ve been a part of my standard vocabulary since I learned to speak, and I’ve brought them here with me to confuse Americans.

Pittsburghese includes “redd up” as well as “yinz” for the plural of “you”.

In New Orleans we always said:
1> Brake Tag for a vehicle inspection sticker
2> Neutral Ground for a median or grassy strip between roads
3> Shrimp Boots for rubber boots, gum boots, wellingtons, waders, etc.
4> Probably a million more I can’t think of right now.

There are also more which seem to me to have spread to a lot of black culture throughout the states, like using ‘boo’ as a term of endearment or saying ‘ax’ for ask. Or ‘where y’at?’ I mean, ‘y’at’ for ‘you at’ is so New Orleans that people from parts of there are **called **Yats.
I’m **really **surprised we don’t use the ‘lawn fete’ phrase that was mentioned earlier.

Here in Northeast PA I’ve heard older people refer to green bell peppers as mangos. Never understood (or been able to get an explanation) why.

I am so glad I get to be the first to mention my favorite regionalism: “fixin to” meaning “about to” as in “I am fixin to go to the store” or “I’m fixing to wash clothes.” I have heard it mainly in Middle TN (don’t remember hearing it in NC or IN when I lived there).

As far as I know, everyone in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota calls those fish “bluegills” and “crappies”.

I’m surprised to hear of “bubbler” being used in Australia, I had never heard of it outside of Wisconsin before, without a 'Sconnie connection.

I just worked with someone from Alabama/North GA who condensed it into "fi’in’ " and it took me a long time to realize what he was saying.

Me either, it’s what my grandmother called them “because that’s what they always called 'em.”

Another good NEPA-ism is “Heyna” (or “Hain’t it”) which is roughly equivalent to “don’t you agree?” and stuck on the end of random sentences. As in “Mary’s daughter is adorable, heyna? Really hot today, heyna? I hope I hit the lottery so I can quit this job, heyna?”

One more: city chicken or mock chicken, which is actually a ball of ground, seasoned pork stuck on the end of a skewer. Never found an explanation for that one either.

My Kentucky-born grandmother called them that, too. I’m sure she never saw a regular mango in her whole life. Her chilli sauce recipe includes them, though.

Back when I was in the Boston area, some people still referred to any type of soda as “tonic.” I’ve heard that’s dying out, though.

kecks or cacks for underpants or trousers sometimes here. Cacking myself for shitting myself. :smiley:

In Norn Iron (Northern Ireland) there’s a movement supporting a dialect called Ulster-Scots which is essentially heavily accented English with various dialectal words. In West Ulster (where they aren’t said to speak Ulster Scots) speech is littered with various terms that don’t seem to be prevalent elsewhere.
For example:
I mind - I remember “I mind the time you fell off the fence”
I doubt - I think “I doubt you’re wrong when you say I fell off the fence”
oxter - armpit (which I think maybe is used in parts of England and Scotland)
a ween - a lot (Scots I think)

I have various dictionaries of Ulster English that are chockful of these terms. I think they’re a mixture of local terms, more broad Irish terms, Scots terms and English terms that may have died out elsewhere.

I’ve heard a few times that there are parts of the country who don’t use the term “all set.” As in “would you like another cup of coffee?” “No thanks, I’m all set.” This site has several words and phrases it claims to be regionalisms, but I’m not so sure about some of them. Other people don’t use the term “directionals”? Or say someone is “all decked out”? And their homes don’t have “cellars”? Doubtful. This other site says that conniver, hornpout, puckerbush and bulkie rolls are regionalisms too. hmm. OTOH, I didn’t know until a thread this week that what I consider a “normal” hotdog bun (since that’s what 80%+ I’ve ever seen look like) is considered New England style elsewhere.

You can chide him for not being well-read, then. Laura Ingalls Wilder uses it repeatedly throughout the Little House books.

Bayard’s “Cornhole” caused some uproar at work last fall. We were reading essays from some southern middle school kids when we came across one that said something like “After school my friends and I like to use ATVs, play football and cornhole.” And the only usage any of us had ever heard before was :eek: in the context of 12-year-olds’ favorite passtimes. We got someone to look it up and discovered the bean-bag game. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s a directional?

On edit: Nevermind, I looked it up in the link you provided (I r smrt). If we were in a car at the time and you said something about directionals, I’d probably figure it out, but left to my own devices, I wouldn’t come up with that word in a million years. They’re always turn signals or blinkers.

Mooch or mooching, meaning to amble around with no particular destination in mind.

Can also mean nosying around, as in “Just having a mooch through my mates stuff”

chowder got the general NW England words. Wigan has some more specific ones:

klempt - hungry “I wa fur klempt”
mard - soft (mums say “stop being so mard” if you cry as a child)
barm cakes - bread rolls
marrer - friend “y’alreet marrer”
yonder - distance
beltin’ - great
yon mon - that guy
babbiesyed - pudding from chippy, looks like a baby’s head
munkon - sulking (“aye, ers got munkon er”)
skrike - cry “shut yer skriking”

“Thee” and “thou” are also still in general use in parts of Wigan. Pretty strange accent/dialect.

I don’t think you can claim yonder, belting or barm cake as Wigan-specific. Never heard of the others, though!
Edit: ‘yon mon’ sounds like it might be a version of ‘your man’, which is certainly heard in Ireland, and possibly also parts of NW England.

Klempt is said Klemmed here, as in "I’m fair klemmed, meaning I could eat a dead ferret wi’ out sauce on.

Skrike is common, as is mard…“yer mardarse, shut yer bleedin’ skriken, it weren’t nowt but a lumpie I bashed yer on’t 'ead wiv”

Aye laddie, t’English language is a grand thing, innit?

Barm cakes and bread rolls are 2 different things, barm cakes you put burgers on. rolls are for hot dogs

An Gadai writes:

> I’ve been told that bold in the usage “the bold child broke the windows” is
> unique to Ireland too although it can also have the other meaning.

So what does the term “bold child” (or maybe just "bold’) mean in this context?

Another few:

“slutch” - mud
“cut” - canal

Yeah, probably. Wigan’s pretty close to Liverpool, and there was a lot of migration here from Ireland and Scotland (one of the villages near my own is called “Little Scotland”). “Munkon” is also short for “got the monkey on”.

Both often referred to as the same thing, around here.

Huh. Here it means a person who cons people they know into giving them things for free without ever returning the favor. A freeloader.