Eragon - Should I pick up the books?

I had a similar thread here so I wont repeat myself to much. But, no, dont buy the books.

Yeah, tall black bald man in Jedi-like robes? I think he was watching Star Wars Prequel #2 on repeat when writing that chapter. Also note that Arwen-lite is not Arwen herself, but Liv Tyler, who Snoreragon (alias Paolini) is desperately in love with.

I don’t understand who was on meth when they decided to publish this book. It’s great that he’s a kid and all but this is straight up internet fan fic with better grammar. Does he have 12 fingers? 3 eyes? Type with his feet or train bears? I’m trying to figure out what the hook was so I can sell my own masterpiece, “The Wheel of the Lord of the Star Wars” and retire early.

Assuming this is true and assuming your parents don’t own a publishing company, I’d keep contributing to the 401K if I were you.

Wow, I hated the movie just from watching the trailer.* And now I find it’s based on books I’m likely to loathe, too? Awesome!

• Okay, my honest reaction to the trailer was to exclaim “Hey, this movie looks like it’d be awesome if I were 12.”

I too would donate my copy of the first book to anyone who wants it. Drop me an e-mail (it’s in my profile). I also thought it was derivative and “not bad for a 15 year old” – but that doesn’t mean it’s a good book on its own, ignoring the precocity of its author. I haven’t read the second one since my reaction to the first was “eh.”

And what is “Mary Sue,” please? It’s not like “Mary Jane,” is it??? :wink:

“Mary Sue”/“Gary Stu” is the author’s ham-handed insertion of themself into the story, always as a character of huge importance and worth. In fan fiction, a Mary Sue is the one all of the established characters want to be/bed/hang around.

The trailer made me angry because I thought someone was making a movie from the Pern novels.

Ha! I actually had that thought in the first few seconds of the trailer. It would have been one of the most awesomely misguided movie adaptations in a while, that’s for sure.

Movie executive #1: “Hey, this movie’s about dragons, right? We need to have more wizards and magic stuff.”
Movie executive #2: “Damn, you’re right. While we’re at it, let’s load it down with a bunch of really awful coming-of-age cliches.”
Movie executive #1: “Hey, let’s get Jeremy Irons! He’s always awesome in fantasy movies with dragons!”
Movie executive #2: “FUCK YEAH! Let’s huff this paint!”

Bleck! And I’m usually so easily pleased! I read children’s books for fun!

But if you are used to high-quality writing, don’t pick it up. I hated nearly every word and every description. :mad:

I’ve not read it so I can’t say, but the author graduated high school at 15, so that says something about his intelligence, no? (though not about his writing ability of course)

I dunno. It wasn’t soooo bad. I read it (check it out of the library-there is no need to buy it). I haven’t read too much fantasy, though. I find Tolkien longwinded, so perhaps I’m not a voice of consensus here.

It had narrative drive. Yes, it is weak in areas (somewhat pedesterian plotting and character developement)–he is neither subtle or fluid in his prose. But the story was good (I’ve read Pern and liked most of them). Eldred suffers from a complete lack of editing–what is with editors today? Are they like farmers now, and paid not to edit?

About 1/2 way through Eldred, I started skipping ahead. And then skimming. But Eragorn was ok. I am reading it aloud to my 8 year old-because he wants to see the movie. I think 12 is about right in terms of age/interest. Just my 2 cents.

Freudian slip? :smiley:

Home schooled, though, right?

hee. most likely. That is one thing that bugged me about the book-the name of the main character is just such a [del]rip off[/del] “homage” to Aragorn…

I hollered at Dave that they were making a Pern movie. Woe unto us that it’s Eragon - but I’ll probably see it anyway as my eldest (heh) wants to see it.

I thought “Eragon” was just “Dragon” misspelled.

Yep.

Thanks for making me laugh when I’m home with a sore throat/cold slortar, it really hurt! (Although I could say the same about anything related to Eragon… :wink: )

I am puzzled-what difference does this make? I live next to some home schoolers (ful disclosure-they actually live 3 houses down)-none of them are what you might call bright. They’re not stupid, and all of them went from home schooling to community college and then on to uni, but why does it matter that Paolini was home schooled? Is it that he would have time to write this book or is it that such creativity only blossoms outside of the standard schooling? (I disagree with both). Or is it that he had time to read all these books that he melded into his own?

Or am I reading into this?

Anyhoo, we (#2 son and I) are on page 130. We have a long way to go and Xmas break is almost upon us. It was #2’s idea to read this, then see the film. Since he is not thrilled with reading-I am happy he made this choice. I am running the risk of him from now on saying things like LOTR or Pern or X “reminds” him of Eragon, but so be it. He’ll figure it out, eventually…

I think you are. I think the home-schooled comment was in response to the “graduated at 15” remark. Given that (at least in my state), the GED test covers little or nothing that isn’t covered by the 10th grade in a normal curriculum and the freedom home-schoolers have to tailor their study, “graduating” from homeschool at 15 is not as impressive as graduating from a structured high school at the same age (which would require grade skipping and course doubling).