[QUOTE=Sage Rat]
Tokyo has pretty much Japanese food or Italian.
Recently, a sort of fast-foodish Indian food has been becoming a bit popular (where you get a tray with some little bowls of curry, and a full naan to dip into them.)
Other than that, certainly you can find other cuisines, but they’re spread pretty far (…particularly by Tokyo standards–where you’ve got a convenience store every block.)
There’s a good Mexican place in Harajuku. I’ve tried some Thai restaurants, but haven’t had much success. Chinese restaurants can be found in most downtown areas, but they seem a lot more fake or plasticy or something than American Chinese places so I never much feel like going in. Some yakiniku places are truer to their Korean heritage, but most are pretty well on their way to being Japanese food.
For the most part though, like I said, it’s mostly just Japanese (noodles and fish) or Italian (noodles and fish.)
A final note: Italian is the most universal food.
[/QUOTE]
Do you remember the name of the Mexican restaurant in Harajuku? Is that the one in the basement with the faux stone interior walls? They had a chocolate chicken dish that was pretty good, as I recall.
With regard to your description of available restaurants, you and I must be eating in different Tokyos, because your characterization is completely at odds with my experience! Over the last five years, I’ve eaten in a dozen different first-rate Indian restaurants, in Asakusa, Ochanomizu, Azabu-Juban, Kichijoji and Shibuya. I can name four or five middle of the road French restaurants (and a few high end ones) off the top of my head, and I’ve been to literally dozens of good Italian places (even excluding chains like Bene Bene, which are pretty decent). There are lots and lots of great Thai places, too!
I’ll be back in March. I think I’m gonna have to drag you around a bit. 