Europe Vs America. Who wins?

Fine stand by it, but I hope you brought scuba gear. Even if I were to concede every point you made in your last post your statement:

…simply can’t be held onto. Just pointing out Nimitz class aircraft carriers ends it. I would never have claimed that the US can beat European military assets across the board and you should not have tried the reverse.

Now as to the combat record of US assets when are detractors ever going to be satisfied by the parity of the conflict to declare that yes, that was true proof of that US weapon platform? There will always be some excuse. If such a nightmare ever happened it would be…well, the European fighters didn’t have good vectoring because of their lack of airborne detection capability and the lack of tanker aircraft meant that they were at an unfair fuel disadvantage. So that fight won’t be fair either.

The Europeans have some excellent aircraft. I’m a big fan of the Rafale. But it isn’t deployed yet. Additionally, the Europeans don’t have the amount of experience the US does.

As far as only have “one” Seawolf. When a weapon system has enough firepower to sink a fleet, one might be good enough. But I’ll grant you slight nod in the question of it’s effectiveness. Is it detectable or not?

Another thing,

There are no equal modern forces. Someone always has an edge somewhere. To even begin to compare to the US, we have to imagine them fighting not one European nation, but all of them. This is not due to any fault of the European powers. The US is simply a much larger nation.

In answer to your question about comparing European CAS aircraft to the A-10, my response is that the difference is in survivability and payload.

None of those aircraft can loiter over a target like the A-10, carry anything like it’s payload or survive the damage that the A-10 can handle.

Tomahawks. We were talking about the present. The Tomahawk is a land attack weapon capable of air or sea launch. I’m not comparing it to anti-ship missiles. The fact that many European nations are developing similar weapons shows its value.

GPS

Yes. You can only hit stationary targets. Factories, powerplants, radar stations, HQ, nothing important huh? And geeze - “There are no GPS bombs” - how narrow do you want to define things just to disagree with me? Stick a GPS kit on it and it’s a GPS bomb. Stick a laser kit on it and it’s a laser guided bomb. Paint a big smile on it and it’s a happy bomb. And then you feel you have to lecture me on the different types? Did I say that it was the only kind? The point was that stand off munitions are not in the current inventories of most European nations.

The major punch of a fleet is aircraft. But I guess you aren’t in a position to argue that point very well since right now only the British have shipborne aircraft available. Although I’m sure the French will eventually resolve their problems.

You still have never addressed my point that European armies suffer serious gaps in their deployment and air offensive capabilities.

But as you and I have tangled with each other the debate has passed us on reaching a conclusion that stalemate would most likely result. I’m willing to accept that conclusion, but I believe Europe would be totally defensive throughout the conflict. And why shouldn’t they be? That’s what their armies are designed to do.

If nothing else, perhaps in the future you’ll hold your tongue a bit more before dispensing the rude comments.

The debates’ heated up a bit hasn’t it? Lots of stuff I agree with from everyone, but I still think certain aspects are getting overlooked.

Joe_Cool - ‘Of course, deciding factors would be technology and total materials. The U.S. currently has the largest military in the world (possible exception: China) and without question the most technologically advanced. As I posted in this thread, the U.S. accounts for nearly twice as much of total spending as all the rest of NATO combined. Since NATO makes up the majority of EU member nations, and since any combat has to cross an ocean first, it looks like the U.S. would have a pretty heavy advantage.’

• Your missing a BIG factor here. Not all of the countries in Europe commit troops to NATO, and those that do only send something like 10(? perhaps Mekhazzio could confirm?) of their forces, and so spending to NATO. Your maths includes total US spending so is clearly unbalanced. Furthermore, considering the large scale of the conflict which would ensue, conscription in Both Europe and America would almost certainly occur - and here Europe would have a significant numerical advantage.

Black Claw - ‘Now I would give the European powers a nod in some air to air missile capability. But the British only recently purchased E-3 Sentries of their own. I’m not sure what the rest of Europe is currently using for their airborne detection, I suspect nothing. Ground fixed radars are easy targets and will no longer exist after the first day. If you don’t know where the enemy is but they know exactly where you are, you are in for a bad but short day.’
Fair point, but I agree with Mekhazzio that comparisons with Iraq would not compare. The british based Rapier surface-air missiles are amoung the best of there type, capable of tracking even stealth bombers. Furthermore the American Patriot missile defense system is dire, hardly in the same class. In the Gulf war it achieved a low efficiency rate against Iraqi attacks - The resulting US deaths are well documented, inc a missile that struck a field hospital. I can’t rememeber whether it was u saying that the Allied Fleet would be wiped out by American carriers within weeks. For arguments sake tho, I’m gonna address u Blackclaw :-). The British Fleet is well defended with Goalkeepers, Sea darts etc easily capabale of suppresing American Fighter Bombers, and I presume that the other G8 coutries fleets contain similar counter measures. Britain and France have major new Carrier developments online within 10 yrs too giving them upwards of 150 strike fighters each. Added to the exsisting Harrier force and The heavy industry of Germany, Czech Republic etc, I presume that a sustained defense if not perhaps attack, could be maintained.

The Rapier system that I know of is an older type of short range missile system. Perhaps I am thinking of the wrong system? I don’t believe either it or the Seadart have the capability to deal with the 60+ NM range threat of the US harpoon missile. Goalkeeper is an in close defense system and may be capable of knocking down incoming missiles. The only way past Goalkeeper would be to overwhelm it. I believe this could be done. I certainly wouldn’t try to fly an aircraft directly over a ship that has this system though. It would be literally cut in two.

I know of no info concerning British radars ability to detect US stealth technology. But the SAS doesn’t share its info with me so that might not mean much.

I wasn’t aware that Britain had begun a carrier initiative. US deck design orginated from British design so I’m eager to see what they are coming out with. But again, I was addressing present circumstances. Within a decade, I don’t believe that the existing disparity will be quite so widespread.

The Patriot missile was used in the Gulf War only against enemy missiles, something for which it was not designed to do. Even so, it hit 90% of its targets. Unfortunatly, hitting a scud didn’t necessarily destroy the warhead which would often fall and explode on the ground causing much damage. The patriot was designed to knock down enemy aircraft, considering its record against missiles I think it would do this quite well.

Mekhazzio I don’t think you quite know this area as well as you think you know it (And it looks like HugeHuw is getting a real debate after all)…

First…

Um…in actuality, both platforms have flown undetected through US Aegis radar, the most powerful radar in the world. It has been proven that stealth works, I’d like to see you try to prove otherwise.

The US M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank is a far superior fighting vehicle. It has better weaponry, better targeting systems, and it’s crews are highly competent tankers.

Concerning the A-10: This is an anti-tank fighter. This is designed to go head-to-head against multiple AAA and SAM sites protecting valuable ground assets and come out alive. This has been battlefield tested, and it works. It carries bombs, missiles, and it’s gatling gun. While it is an outdated platform (relatively), it is a one of the best designed fighters for it’s purpose.

The Harrier: Woo…VTOL capabilities, and not much else.

Rapier vs. Patriot: From what I’ve read in various Jane’s series books and internet websites, the Patriot has a faster reload time, longer range, and better detection and tracking capabilities.

Now, there are many other aspects of war we have to consider. What about attack choppers? The US has the AH Apache and the RAH Comanche helicopters. What about training considerations? The US has the best trained Navy ships and fighters in the world.

I’m pretty sure of all this information, as I’m quite a military hobbyist. I’ll provide cites if necessary.

Both the United States and Europe are defacto federations ravenously consuming the resources of this world. There are still a lot of resources left however and the crunch is a long way off. While Americans compacently feel secure in their** present** economic and military pre-eminance, giving no thought to expanding the federation, Europeans are quitely forging ahead into building a federation from the Atlantic to the Pacific, encompassing all the present countries of Europe including Russia. After 40 years, it appears that they are already halfway there. In less than a hundred years,** present technology **will be obsolete and the largest federation with the largest in house resource base and a long term plan for the future will have the best technology,military,economy and alliances to force its will against the other when the big crunch comes. Of course the military conflict will be preceded by endless GATT disputes and diplomatic negotiation, but a population facing a winter of no fuel, is not going to react kindly to a president who says that any remaining fuel resources in the world are tied up by contracts with the United States of Europe.

By the way, the fighting will most likely take place on the sea or on third party territory. Canada’s tar sands (which require a fairly high price to justify extraction) contain more oil than all the middle east(I heard that somewhere) could be the scene of fighting as the only oil reserves left in the world.

I’ll agree with Blackclaw, it’s not really fair to pick on the Patriot’s performance in Desert Storm against tactical SSMs (which was nowhere near 90% Pk). The fact that it worked at all on them is fairly good praise, and Patriot really is a pretty good medium-range air defense asset. My beef with it is that there’s just not enough of them, nor a longer-legged big brother of it, to make anything more than sparse point defense a realistic possibility. It makes the army extremely dependent on the air force, with no way of supporting them from the ground.

I can also understand the love for the A-10. It’s simple, well-armed, and plays in the mud instead of soaring around with fancy electronics like the fighter jocks do. You gotta love it. I love it, it’s sexy. But morale isn’t enough, and one of the reasons for the A-10’s repeated visits to Congressional chopping blocks is because of its survivability. You see, no matter how “well-armored” you make an aircraft, they’re still fairly fragile things, particularly compared to tanks. You’re way off base in thinking that “It’s designed to go head-to-head with multiple SAM/AAA”, it’s not, not in the least. Other, more capable aircraft perform full-scale SEAD. The A-10 just tries to survive them long enough to run away if encountered. Consider it a design that gives healthy respect to Murphy’s Law, and even more respect to the zero-casualty policy of all American armed forces.

And, given the dire threat they pose to forces on the ground, any CAS aircraft automatically becomes the primary target of anything with any capability at all of downing it. Yes, the A-10 can take relatively substantial damage, any CAS aircraft can (with the exception of Harrier, but its special). “Loitering” is the one thing they do NOT want to do on a modern battlefield, and the extreme swiftness that a CAS aircraft (and helicopter, for that matter) can meet its demise is why standoff weapons (like Maverick) and area effect weapons are strongly preferred in that kind of mission. As impressive as the “big gun” on the A-10 is, it just isn’t practical, not compared to alternate weapons. And, it can be convincingly argued argued that those alternate weapons are better off being delivered by multirole fighters that are better able to defend themselves, and can ingress and egress much faster (read: F-16s and F-18s) and, in a pinch, can serve as interceptors as well.

The A-10 is cool, and yes, it can do what it’s designed to do. But so can other CAS aircraft, and the A-10 is really no better than any of its counterparts (maybe less so, due to its usefulness in only the one role). The A-10 may have short-field capability, but so do others, and the Harrier, in particular, has no field capability. That’s an extremely valuable asset, one normally enjoyed only by helicopters. Just discussing the differences and strengths/weaknesses of traditional fixed-wing CAS and the Harrier could fill a thread of its own.

Speaking of helicopters, that’s another area where there’s more or less parity throughout all major forces. England also has the Apache, the German Tiger is supposed to be quite good, and Russia has a lot of very good attack helicopters (arguably the best in the world, in fact). The Comanche may or may not be all its supposed to be, but the subject is moot as it’s (still) deep in development (they still haven’t settled on a tail design, for one thing, and its FCR is still being worked on). Hellfire and TOW are also getting pretty long in the tooth these days, too. I’d love to see a western helicopter equipped with BILL.

I can’t help but directly address this quote, though:

Right off the propaganda sheets. Is this just a knee-jerk, or had you actually heard of the Leopard 2 before I mentioned it? I’ll assume you have and reply to the statement properly…

Better weaponry? Well, actually, the most recent incarnation of the Leo has a better gun (an extended version of the same Rh120 they both share) that gives a substantially higher muzzle velocity, thus range, accuracy and power. Rumors say anywhere from 15% to 45% improvement, but it’s still the stuff of secrecy. But other than that, they share the same gun. The ammo…well, Germany does have dU ammo, but they don’t like to use it (it’s not fun spraying heavy metals over your home turf, after all), and even their best tungsten ammo is about 10% less effective than comparable dU…nature of the beast, really. The M1 and Leo are both quite capable of knocking each other out even with the Germans keeping their dU in storage. Given a mythical European Alliance scenario that resulted in invasion of US soil, I doubt they’d have any compunctions about doing so.

Better targetting systems? Well, I suppose this is more a matter of dogma than anything else, but everything I’ve seen indicates the Leo’s fire control system is definitely the superior one. It’s designed with a better mind towards user-friendliness and natural instinctive use, and in combat where life and death is measured in fractions of seconds, every little bit counts. I also think the M1 FCS’ system of always involving computed lead into the equation by default can be potentially disastrous, but I’ll admit that it’s a relatively slim inferiority that can be minimized (but not fully eliminated) by extensive training. On the other hand, from what I’ve heard, US M1 crews don’t receive very…realistic…training, or the flaws in the FCS would have been noticed and corrected long ago. That could potentially be a much more disastrous problem than the FCS.

The quality of the crew comment I find especially amusing…it just drips with so much implied arrogance. What, you think only the US Army is able to train anyone? You think we’re the only ones in the world that know what a good soldier is? That nobody else is possibly fit to judge the capability of their fighting force? We have a well-trained military, yes, but not as good as it COULD be, and I would definitely never pretend that someone else couldn’t be better.

The turbine engine is another argument unto itself. I’ll simply say that I think diesel is currently a better solution for an MBT, for both immediate tactical and broader-term logistical reasons. The comparison of crew survivability for the two is also another argument, as is the case for/against a commander’s MG. (The lack of a TC MG in the Leo is just stupid, if you ask me) In practically everything else, the two tanks are quite level (Both have digital mapping systems, both have independent commanders’ sights w/ independent thermal viewers, etc, etc) If you deal with what’s actually the large bulk of both forces currently, I’d have to give the strong nod to the Leopard. The Leo2A5 and the M1A2 may be a close race, and the M1A2SEP and Leo2A6 may be a close race, but I think there’s a rather clear distance between the M1A1 and Leo2A4.

(Ye gods I hope an M1 tanker doesn’t read this message. We’d be in a holy war forever :smiley: )

Anything else? :slight_smile:

I don’t think you quite know this area as well as you think you know it (And it looks like HugeHuw is getting a real debate after all)…

I sure am, and I’m out of my depth myself. I’ll pug on anyway tho, and let you guys sort out my inaccuracies…

Concerning the A-10: This is an anti-tank fighter. This is designed to go head-to-head against multiple AAA and SAM sites protecting valuable ground assets and come out alive. This has been battlefield tested, and it works. It carries bombs, missiles, and it’s gatling gun. While it is an outdated platform (relatively), it is a one of the best designed fighters for it’s purpose.

The Harrier: Woo…VTOL capabilities, and not much else.

I agree with you that comments to the detriment of the A-10 are unfair. It was designed as a Tank buster, and its damn good at its job (even if those Uranium shells might take out a few thousand of your own men! :-)). I would argue that discounting the Apache or a nuke - the A-10 is the finest Tank buster available. As a point of information, Britain DOES have 24 Apaches at the moment. A paltry number, true but more importantly I’m reasonably confident that British Aerospace has the designs and order. I think you could confidently expect many more to be produced following the outbreak of war.

The Harrier however is a completely diferent prospect. As a fighter it has average ability but as Mekhazzio has pointed out, as a bomber it excels from having the strenghs of both an attack helicopter and a jet. In addition, The British GR7 model has increased targeting and infra-red detection over the American model giving it a distinct edge. Unfortunately (for Europe in this scenario) tho, I believe that an improved American model is currently late in the design stage.

Rapier vs. Patriot: From what I’ve read in various Jane’s series books and internet websites, the Patriot has a faster reload time, longer range, and better detection and tracking capabilities.

I Concede - I was off the mark on the Patriot. My info on its effectiveness came from a 45 minute documentary on its design flaws in missile to missile defense. As such I think that BlackClaws quoted statistics of 90% are significantly off the mark. Its effectiveness against Planes tho I don’t know, So It may have an adv. over the Rapier. The Rapier mrk 2’s capacity to track Stealth is not a myth tho - It followed an American B2 at the 1998 Hendon Airshow. It was in the British news and all. Honest!

The US has the best trained Navy ships and fighters in the world.

Whoa. Major Pro US bias alert here. Your clearly intelligent mate, but I really don’t think you could substantiate this statement with anything but the most suspect source. While the US undeniably has some of the best equipment and a high quality of training, the above quote is a sweeping generalisation. The British and American Navy are on a par in training terms, and in terms of comparable air force effieciencies The Brits have won Red flag for the last 3 yrs. We’re quite a bit smaller than you too…
personally I reacon that the Navy of say, Sweden, is far in advance of our own and some of the equipment they have is beyond believe - The Stealth Boat, S-Tank etc.

[/QUOTE]

I apologise for the lack of quotation marks in my above message - I’m still getting to grips with quoting. For anyone trying to read it the, more intelligent bits were written by Monster104, and I’m the one criticising them.

So anyway, you said -

Black Claw - ‘I wasn’t aware that Britain had begun a carrier initiative. US deck design orginated from British design so I’m eager to see what they are coming out with. But again, I was addressing present circumstances. Within a decade, I don’t believe that the existing disparity will be quite so widespread.’

Well yes, I believe that Britain is carrying out a major update across the board on its Navy. The Carrier updates are forming a crucial part of this. This exsisting three will be replaced with Two bigger ones - capacity for 40 or so aircraft. Hardly the Nimitz I know, but modern and efficient. Broadly based on the French design, they’re better defended (3 Goal keepers + various missile defense systems and Marlin air Radar cover) + hopefully will get rid of the Design problems that have plagued said French boats. In addition to this, I’m reliably informed by my Navy-head mate that the Joint Strike Fighter project will give the Royal Navy the ‘Best Plane Ever’ ™! I can’t give you the names of the top of my head, But I’ll try and get back to ya with them.

ha ha

"We have balls, and they have…
The French. That practically gaurantees us the win. "

The french are actually quite tough, as long as you don’t attack at lunch time.

We Europeans have loadsa subs ( no surface ships, i admit that ) so it would be difficult to cross the atlantic.

To be honest, I think it would be a long drawn out war which would end because of domestic pressure, remember vietnam ?

Its simple, Europe sees a large invasion force coming across the atlantic and nukes it ! Nukes at sea, easy.

Even if we have to send a bomber on a one way mission we can reach it or use a submarine on a suicide mission ( i think the current info is that as soon as a sub launches a missile its detected but the missile is already in the air by then ).

Ok, you have good air defence but we can overhelm it by attacking with subs and air forces at the same time.

Either way your stuffed.

Even if you did get some ( reduced numbers ) troops to Europe its a big land war, most european countries ( not the UK ) have large reserve armies from when they had conscription ( from when we thought the USSR was gonna invade ).

Ok, not crack troops but they all know how to shoot and don’t forget the motivation of defending your homeland AND they don’t need to be transported very far (BIG advantage).

Forces wise I think the US has a slight edge BUT you have to get across the atlantic which kills your slight advantage and we can sink your carriers but you can’t sink the UK.

Okay several folks have rightly questioned my stated hit percentage for the Patriot. So I did some research and I found this.

Which simply doesn’t help my position at all. Perhaps the allied aircraft was at the edge of range when fired upon or the Patriot crew realized their mistake and turned off their radar before the missile’s own guidence system took over.

From the same article I also found this:

So the Israeli percentage is lower because they held it to a different standard. The Patriot missile is a point defense system, not an area coverage system. It does it’s job well at defending a military base but when it came to defending a wide spread region, which is what the Israelis wanted, it simply wasn’t designed for the job. No matter how well the Patriot engaged enemy missiles, it would never be able to engage them at a point from which the resulting debris wouldn’t fall into what the Israelis wanted protected.

So I drop my Patriot percentage claim in the face of the murky truth.

Link: http://www.afa.org/magazine/perspectives/desert_storm/0492scud.html

Now when it comes to A-10 verses the Harrier, I don’t really think it’s a true comparision. Both aircraft have similar roles but different circumstance under which they were designed to carry them out. The A-10 has better payload and survivability but that doesn’t mean it’s a better plane. Those advantages are traded off by it’s need for an airfield. So the needs of the deployment will determine which aircraft is best suited for the situation. It should also be noted that when I say the A-10 has better survivability, I do not mean and never have said that means it’s invulnerable to ground fire and missiles. It simply means that it has a better chance of surviving a hit.

The A-10’s advantage in loitering time does not mean that it loiters directly over the enemy. It means that it can be on station in friendly air space for longer periods of time than other aircraft. The result is ground units have an air asset on call instead of having to wait for CAS aircraft to take off and fly to the target point.

Mekhazzio: I was slightly incorrect saying that A-10’s can go up against the AAA/SAM themselves. I should have said they can go up against targets within AA envelopes of fire and come out alive.

As for M1A2, I was just saying information I read in a military books a couple years ago. Granted, the data is outdated (I don’t know what changes have been made to the equipment), but in there the M1A2 had small leads on the Leapord II in many categories (Which, like you said, could easily have been enhanced).

And as for training, I never said that US soldiers are the best. I said they’re highly competent. Completely different statements. I know the German army and British army are highly competent, but I don’t know all of Europe’s armies and how well they’re trained.

Hugehuw:

I agree that the Patriot is not the most proven system. I don’t think it has really been proven in much combat (I may be wrong).

As for the training of the US Navy vs. other navies, I guess I’ll have to take back my comment. I had forgotten the decline of the size and training of the Navy because of lack of funds…

However, your scenario says it’s 20 years in the future. In 20 years, a lot could happen. If we get a series of presidents who neglect the military, we wouldn’t have much of chance. If we have a few presidents who are quite gung ho and military buffs, I think the US would be more than prepared for a war (The same situations apply to all countries, of course).

I haven’t heard of the Stealthboat or the S-tank. What info do you have on them?

Well, I haven’t heard of a “Stealth Boat” but the S-tank is certainly unique. Try http://members.nbci.com/dgrev/s103.html for a basic overview. It’s a tank without a turret, meant for a defensive role. It’s really a rather creative & nontraditional way of going about it, and it certainly does offer some unique benefits.

I believe it’s been/being phased out in favor of import Leo2’s, though.

I thought a Mrk 3 S-Tank was coming for 2005, but a quick glance at your link proves me wrong. Oh well they were exceptional in the 70’s but obviously outdated now.

The Stealth boat is no myth tho. Just to prove I’m not bullshitting check the link http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_forces/news_briefs/jdw951021_01.shtml for evidence.

It doesn’t give much info of the prototypes tho, but basically they’re ultra quick troop transports. They look like a minature Sea Cat, and are armed with only a 50mm cannon and anti aircraft missiles (can’t remember which type). But it can reach speeds of 50 knots with a complement of 100 marines on board and was almost completely undectable from land or air based systems. Heat shielding, Radar absorbtion - the whole 9 yrds. Pretty cool, but I’m not sure in practise how useful they will prove.