Eve Upgrades Her Edison Wind-Up Computer and Needs Advice

Given the subject of your work, I think it’d be a great thing to have a portable movie player.

–Cliffy

As far as Manhattan ISPs go, I’ve had excellent experiences with TimeWarner’s RoadRunner cable service. Very fast, and generally trouble-free. Avoid Verizon DSL like the plague; ditto any service offered by RCN.

I love my HP DeskJet 5550 color ink-jet printer. For less than $150, it does very nice b/w and color printing. And it is reasonably quick about it, too. My one complaint is that it takes up a little more square footage (well, square inchage) on my desk than some of its competitors. But DeadlyAccurate raises a good point: if you don’t need color printing, and if you do a lot of black-and-white printing, you might consider a low-end laser printer.

And, weighing in on the DVD question: if you’d like to be able to watch movies as you traverse Europe by rail, an in-laptop DVD player serves nicely. However, if you confine your home-cinema habits to your lushly-appointed drawing room—or even your delicately-perfumed boudoir—then you might as well just buy a DVD player that you can connect to your television set. Last I checked, you could get a decent DVD player for under a hundred bucks. What fun is spending an evening with a favorite movie if you have to sit at your desk and watch it on a 12-inch screen?

That’s a good point. Eve, if you don’t have a DVD player at all, you might consider just getting one. Really. As big a change as the VCR. It almost brings the movie experience home. You see things you wouldn’t see except on the big screen.

Anyhow. Perhaps not Publisher, but something like it, not for books, but as a desktop publishing item, for posters and signs and greeting cards and so on.

EVE! Get off this Board and get back to your typewriter! (Click Clack Clickety Clack)

Swear to God I read this as Her ELGIN wind up watch.
But of course we all know Eve is too young to know about wind-up watches. And of course that I can’t read worth a damn.

As You Were.

Jake

Eve, if you haven’t yet, I would suggest going to www.apple.com. You can check out the Ibooks, components, and ram and get exact prices. That way you can go into the store and know exactly what you want.

Well, I am being taken shopping by a hard-headed computer expert, so I am relying on her to keep me from buying a pup.

That sobbing you hear wafting over the breezes on Sunday will be me, trying to make heads or tails out of the instructions.

You do know that iBooks only come in white nowadays? Doesn’t this mean that you can’t use them after Labor Day?

Before you buy, check out dealmac.com and look for good buys on slightly older models. Just because you’re a starving author doesn’t mean you have to spend it all on a laptop – it’d be nice to have a few lumps of coal to throw on the grate as you shiver in the garret.

Hey, Eve, bring your computer expert over! We can say hi!