Ever known anyone who'd had polio?

I’m 60 and knew three. The wife-half of a couple my parents knew was wheelchair bound but had managed three kids. A girl in my elementary school class wore braces and could get around on crutches. A guy in my high school class from another elementary school had one withered leg in a brace. When we were playing softball he could galumph the bases faster than I could run them (Admittedly a low bar to pass).

There might have been a couple more in the classes ahead of me (Freshmen don’t look at upperclassmen) but there were none in the classes behind.

My Great Uncle had it and was left handiapped with braces and sometimes crutches. My Mother and another kid in her housing project got it and they quarantined the project back in the forties. She was in an iron lung for 3 months with six months of rehab after, because it apparently attacked her respiratory system, but she didn’t suffer the typical permanent crippling paraylsis or effect to the legs.

The newspaper article that details the victims and quarantine apparently attributed it to the nearby local, public, swimming pool.

My great-aunt, age 80ish, had it when she was a child. She swears that to this day she has ongoing muscular problems that are related to having had polio.

I’m 33, if that matters.

I am 52, born in '58 and people with polio have always been around me. I dated a girl who had a withered leg. My scoutmaster was a fireplug of a man who walked with two canes on spindly leg. Hell of a guy.

Oh yeah I know. It just boggles the MIND that a kid who was just physically disabled (wheelchair or crutches/braces user) would be sent to a seperate school/class.
Deaf/hard of hearing, blind/low vision, and cognitively disabled kids yes of course. Even kids who went dhh or blind often went off to the state special schools or classes. My state actually still has a school specificly for kids with mobilty issues.(Mass. Hospital School) But now I think it’s mostly kids with severe or multiple issues who go there. (basicly a state run nursing home)
But just wheelchair/mobilty kids? Then again, when I had surgery on my leg as a ten year old ('89) and was in a wheelchair for a month, and we asked for accomondations, you would have thought that we had asked for open book tests!

AboutAsWeird, my school didn’t have any “special classes”, but the 12th grade classrooms were on top of the Aula Magna, in a building with no lift. One of my coursemates was wheelchair bound and one of the possible arrangements that was considered was moving one of the 12th grade sections to the lower floor in the main building. The rooms in that floor were all cavernous; I’m talking something like 30’ ceilings, and except for the few offices they’re mostly set up as labs, so it would have been a bitch to rearrange, it would have required major work. I understand someone dared propose having him as a class of one, taking lessons in one of the offices, and if looks could kill he would have died right there (“he’s wheelchair bound, not some sort of criminal, to have to take class alone!”, was the headmaster’s reported retort). In the end, the 12th grade classes stayed where they were, and he’d get carried by four classmates up and down the stairs. I remember the guys took it as a matter of pride to be the ones carrying him.

Maybe having the physically disabled kid in the “special class” meant no stairs, no gym… a classroom which already had more space between the desks than usual, a teacher who was all right with helping a grown student go to the bathroom… I strongly doubt the bathrooms would have been adapted.

I MAY have, probably have, known someone who had polio, my late grandmother (who did, ftr, know people who died in the great flu pandemic when she was a teenager) and all of her 5 kids included, but I don’t personally know of anyone who experienced complications from polio.

I am 44.

I did a great deal of research on this years ago, as part of a larger research project on incidence, complications and mortality rates from all of the (then) VPDs (vaccine preventable diseases), but unfortunately, all my stuff is on floppy disc and, at the moment, inaccessible. Too bad, 'cause I really had all the numbers and cites and everything all trussed up SO nicely. Still DO, just can’t get to it on my new and improved computer :smack:

To sum up, off the top of my head:

Polio is actually a very interesting exception to the typical VPD in that complications and mortality associated with it coincided with IMPROVEMENTS in public sanitation, living conditions, hygiene and access to medical care. For virtually all other infectious diseases/VPDs, the opposite is true. (for measles, for instance, mortality had declined by 85% to 90% in the US and UK well before the vaccine was introduced, largely due to improvements in sanitation, nutrition and access to medical care for complications).

There were no reported epidemics of polio prior to the 18th century or so, and even then, they tended to occur in more developed areas.

Understanding why this was the case is key and complex.

Polio used to be an almost universal childhood infection. Meaning virtually every infant or young child was exposed, infected and gained lifelong immunity via contact with fecally contaminated water.

With rare exceptions, they recovered without any lasting harm. For most, there were no symptoms at all. For some, it took the form of a mild, flu-like illness followed by full recovery. For a very few (less than 1-2% at most, from my research), there was some form of residual effect (paralysis, weakness). In a very, very few cases, death resulted.

These complication/mortality rates still hold true, ftr…believe it or not, polio actually has a LOWER overall incidence of complications and mortality than the flu or even the common cold. Not to dismiss such complications out of hand, but based on the stats, they are rarer than those from other illnesses we take for granted.

One key factor is age at first exposure; the older one is at first exposure to the polio virus, the more likely one is to experience a more severe course (which also sets it apart form several other infectious, VPD diseases, in which middle childhood is the ideal time to contract).

In the past, it was most commonly contracted in infancy or early childhood, as most water supplies were contaminated to some degree with fecal matter and the very act of bathing or nursing or drinking water served to infect. The polio virus was pretty much ubiquitous.

But once the water supplies were cleaned up and exposure became far less likely, an increasing number of infants and toddlers were never exposed/infected/“immunized” to the virus, leaving them vulnerable to infection at older ages, when polio is more likely to assume a symptomatic or even severe form.

In the relatively sterile environment of the US circa the early decades of the 1900’s, a large percentage of the population had never had the chance to be exposed at a young age and gain immunity. They were sitting ducks.

There is also much evidence that polio, like many infectious diseases, is cyclical in nature, waxing and waning in any given population for as yet not fully understood reasons.

And as a primarily orally transmitted infection, the common practice of removing the tonsils (now recognized as a component of the immune system and esp. important in protecting against orally transmitted infections, but at one time considered a rudimentary, useless organ and yanked out en masse) may have influenced rates of infection/complications in the US as well.

As could have the emerging practice of formula feeding. Breastmilk is known to kill the polio virus in the gut and provide antibodies when from an immune mom; the UN noted this in its deliberations over how best to approach the polio issue…BFing mothers would kill the live virus vaccine in the gut of their infants, BUT BFing served so many other important health benefits, they could hardly discourage it.

Another interesting note is that the symptoms of polio (when clinically apparent) mirror those of pesticide poisoning (pesticides were first widely used in the US during the period of the US polio epidemics).

They are also clinically identical to viral meningitis. I examined a study which concluded that it was highly likely that many “polio” cases reported at the time were actually due to meningitis or some other cause. A look at the rates of each condition in several US counties shows a steep increase in “polio” and an almost exact decrease in “meningitis” in the years following widespread awareness of the polio epidemic. Some medical historians have interpreted this as an over-reporting of symptomatic polio due to diagnostic bias.

Regardless, the polio epidemic seen in the US at that time can be seen as a perfect storm of circumstances all coming together to result in an apparent epidemic in which a far higher percentage of those infected manifested clinical symptoms and experienced complications.

There have been problems with the vaccine, as praised as it is (and I want to go on record as stating that I believe Salk had the best of intentions and was a great man, donating his work to the public because, as he put it, “can you patent the sun?”).

The original version was found, in 1960, to have been contaminated with SV40, a previously unknown simian retro- virus now known to cause cancer in rodents and monkeys and which has been isolated from fatal tumors removed from humans. The source of the contamination was the monkey kidneys used to culture the vaccine. It took a few years for the contaminated vaccine to be used up/removed from circulation, so anyone who got a dose prior to 1962 or so is possibly infected with this retro-virus which is transmitted sexually and via blood transfusion, birth and organ transplants.

The switch to the injected, “killed” version of the vaccine was made in response to a number of cases of contacts with the live, oral vaccine recipient becoming infected and suffering lasting complications (one case I recall was a father, vaccinated against it as a child, who contracted it by changing the diapers of his recently vaccinated infant. It took years for him to get a definitive diagnosis because no Dr. could accept that he had polio. He did, and it was the vaccine strain).

The change-over was delayed many years, despite the fact that the ONLY reported cases of polio in the US and some other developed areas were due to the vaccine, because it was known that the live vaccine “sheds” for some time (7 yrs was the median estimate, longer in the immune depressed) and this was seen as a benefit (since in populations where there IS fecal contamination, it served to immunize infants and young children who might otherwise not be vaccinated).

How ironic…they had all but eradicated the wild polio virus and now felt compelled to re-introduce it into the environment to PREVENT serious illness. :smack:

For whatever it’s worth. Lots of anecdotal reports here, and I don’t discount them. Any injury or death is worthy of acknowledgment and honor. But this is, imo, a classic case of confirmation bias…we only know or notice those who experienced visible sequela and have no idea how many others also “had polio” and exhibited no ill effects. Ourselves included. Just offering up some of what I gleaned from my research into this fascinating virus and its interactions with its human hosts. Such interactions are very complex and
they interest me. There it is. :slight_smile:

That must be it. Everyone I knew when I was growing up had the smallpox vaccine scar; that (I think) causes local blistering at the site of the injection. Polio is usually given orally, with an attenuated live virus. Though in the last few years, I think they’ve tended toward the injectable killed virus for the first one or two doses followed by the oral live virus for the rest of the series.

I’m 50-something. I remember as a very young child being taken to the town hall and being given the polio vaccine on a sugar cube… My aunt Priscilla had polio when young, which left her with a very severe limp. She walked without a cane or braces, but dragged her leg. (This did not stop her from getting an art degree and the week after, age 20, driving in her pink convertible to Washington DC to a job involving maps for the government (this was during WWII). She married, had two daughters, an upper middle class life, was VERY artistic and artsy-craftsy, believed in UFOs and reincarnation. Everyone loved her and she died after a full and interesting life.)…I’m not sure if she suffered from complications from the polio later in life. I’m aware of a friend of my mother’s who did.

I’m 35. One of my family members whose connection to me I didn’t really understand (she was called my “Aunt”, but wasn’t, I think she was maybe my mother’s second cousin or something; she was at least 20 years older than Mom) had it as a child, and had forearm crutches to walk as an adult.

I remember she also had deformed hands with swollen joints and crooked fingers, the sort I’d associate now with rheumatoid arthritis. I don’t know if it was RA or if that was another effect of the polio.

I am 30 and know three people who had polio. One is my stepdad. One is my husband’s martial arts instructor. And the third is an old friend of my dad’s. They’re all right around age 60.

Oh, wow, I missed this whole second page before! InterestedObserver, your recollection of your research is correct as far as my own research goes. But, as they say, you can’t unring a bell. As we don’t want to “enrich” our drinking water with fecal matter because of all the other diseases that would create, the inactivated oral vaccine is the best, safest replication of the natural process that we have.

IOW, I’ve heard this whole line of reasoning from antivaxers claiming it supports their anti-vaccine stance (“it wasn’t that bad for most people!” “Nature used to take care of it until the government stepped in!” etc. etc.), and I actually see it as *supporting *vaccination. Give it to 'em orally, give it to 'em young, and it’s almost like nature in action, without the risks of hepatitis and dysentery.

My father in law has polio. Currently he is confined to a wheelchair. For most of his adult life he made it though use of crutches or a cane. I seriously consider him second only to my father in men I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Growing up in a small Alabama town during the segregated 50’s he became the under-secretary in the Dept of Agriculture, and is one of the toughest and smartest men I’ve ever met.

In my 50s, and I’ve known one. My Dad’s boss had it as a child. He had a lifelong limp but was not what you would call incapacitated.

I am 40 and know somebody who’s about 10 years older than me who was a polio victim. He’s a complete wreck, hunch back, one shorter leg, some extreme deformities and is a terminal alcoholic and not well in the head. I am not sure if polio can affect the mind, but I can believe that his constant pain and his deformities may have pushed him inside a bottle. Sad case.

I’m 43. A co-worker has it, or had it. She is 45. While I am assuming she is “over it”, so to speak, she clearly wears support shoes, stoops quite a bit, has a limp. She’s awesome attitude-wise, though, and is 100 percent capable in every way, unless you need her to run a footrace. :slight_smile: And she’s the first person I’ve ever met who <I know> has had polio.

p.s. Wow, InterestedObserver, thank you for your input! That was really VERY interesting, and I, for one, appreciate it. :slight_smile:

A boy I dated briefly in high school had a slight spinal twisting because of polio.

On a more positive note, only slightly off-topic: When I was teaching 9th grade a few decades ago, there was an inspirational story in the textbook about someone who contracted the disease, worked to succeed despite it and lived a noteworthy life. The text of the book referred to “infantile paralysis” which was footnoted as “polio.” My students still didn’t understand what that was. Someone finally remembered his baby brother getting a vaccine. What a great thing! A disease that gave our parents nightmares of fear, and now a whole roomful of kids who didn’t even know what it was!

We then had a wonderful discussion about all the things people didn’t have to worry about nearly as much as in past generations. I pointed out that prior to the development of anesthesia and clean surgery, if you had appendicitis, you very likely just died after days of horrible pain. It got very still in the classroom and everybody turned to look at the girl who had just recently returned to school after an appendectomy.

I had a friend in college who had had polio. He was from Cuba and would have been born in 1960 or 1961. His arms had very little muscle mass, but his legs seemed to have developed normally. When he needed to use one of his hands, he’d basically whip his torso around to swing the arm in question over to where he wanted it to end up. Since he’d been doing it forever, it was actually a fairly graceful move.