Examples of canon violations

Actually I think James was just a bigger loser.

You talking about Garthe? He wasn’t the twin brother of Michael Long (i.e. the police officer who was shot in the face and underwent extensive plastic surgery and was “reborn” as Michael Knight). As I understand it, Wilton Knight, the somewhat eccentric and dead-in-the-pilot-episode CEO of Knight Industries had Long’s face altered so he would look like Garth, Wilton’s estranged bad-apple serving-three-consecutive-life-sentences-in-an-African-prison son.

Why Michael’s and Garth’s voices are the same, I dunno.

I just started re-reading Jingo. Another questionable thing is where Carrot is teaching organizing the city’s young hellions into football teams and the scene ends with him telling the kids that Angua may come and teach them the “campfire howl.” In at least some later books Angua’s werewolfhood was treated as a big secret to the general public.

Well, James was a big loser. (Incidentally, what was it with Angelus and pretty boys? James, Penn, Spike, Wesley…)

I missed the edit window–but I forgot Holden is Spike’s doing. Of course, Holden had a piece of Spike’s soul, which complicates the whole discussion further.

Everybody knows Knight Industries has access to Cylon technology scavenged from Galactica: 1980. They clearly used that tech to reconfigure Michael Long’s voice, on the orders of Wilton, who, just asclearly, was a wackjob repressing homosexual longings for his son. Sort of a homosexual and generationally-reversed Oedipus complex.

In the episode of Futurama where Zoidberg goes into must/rut/pon-farr and goes back to Decapod 10 to mate, it turns out his people mate once, lay eggs, and die. But in another ep we see flashbacks of little Zoidberg catching crap from his parents – how would he even have met them?

In a Red Dwarf episode, Rimmer takes an escape pod to flee danger, gets marooned on a habitable world, and uses on-board equipment to clone himself – even though he is a hologram and lacks any of his own DNA samples; a problem touched on in another episode where they come across an abandoned gene-changing machine and Rimmer hopes to use it to make himself a body (he finally finds a 3-million-year-old flake of his own dandruff, and the Cat sneezes on it).

Wesley? I can’t recall a lot of Angelus-Wesley interaction. Even in Angel S5, his focus was on the BuffyVerse’s baddest badass only so long as it took to escape. (And YES, I am saying that Wesley was badder than Angel, Buffy, & Faith. They just have the advantage of super-strength.) Once Angelus was free, he didn’t give Wes another thought.

Well, I was thinking of Wesley more in terms of Angel(us)'s need to be surrounded by a “family.” William/Spike and Wesley had some similarities and I think there’s a sort of pattern there once you factor in Penn, James, and Lawon but…that’s really neither here nor there. Even so, Angelus was not unaware of Wesley’s considerable charms and in S4, Angelus used sexually charged words to get to Wesley the way Angelus used sexually charged language to get to William in S5.

Couldn’t the kids have just thought that Angua was a pretty lady who was good at making animal noises?

In later books it’s pretty well known that there is a werewolf on the Watch, but Angua isn’t “out” and a lot of citizens assume it’s Nobby.

Yes, but in that case he was manipulating Wes for a purpose, not for fun.

I will agree that **Angel **& Wesley has a unique relationship, but the emotional connection there came more from Wesley than from Angel. For Angel, Wesley was the FangGanger he trusted most on a technical level. But the ones he LOVED were Cordelia & Fred.

I believe Anakin became a full-fledged Jedi Knight sometime between *Attack of the Clones *and Revenge of the Sith. The tension in *Revenge *comes not from his being held back from Jedi Knighthood, but rather from the unwillingness of the Jedi Council to accept his appointment to said council by Palpatine.

In Unleashed, Vader’s apprentice is a **secret **from the Emperor – Vader eventually hopes to assassinate him with his apprentice’s aid.

But, of course, it’s actually all part of the Emperor’s plan.

I like to think of this as the Jello mold theory of souls. An individuals personality is the mold: their motivations, fears, desires, etc. The soul is the Jello, and determines how they act on the above. When someone is turned into a vampire, their human soul is replaced by a demon spirit: all the yummy strawberry Jello is scooped out, and is replaced by something terrible and evil, like pork-flavored Jello. The personality still determines the shape of the vampire, but the soul determines the flavor.

And sometimes, the mold doesn’t get properly washed out before it gets filled with pork Jello, and you get vampires who still have some trace of actual humanity mixed in with all the evil, which is how you end up with vamps like Spike, or the bespectacled vampire who helped resurrect the Judge.

That’s just… weird. I clearly remember reading an article in which the writer(s) said, basically, “Yeah, we didn’t think anyone would notice.”

Clearly, I did too much LDS in the sixties.

BrainGlutton:

Were those explicitly said to be his biological parents? I’d just assume they were child-rearers in whatever mass orphanage the children of his people are raised in. Or foster parents, if they go for the more individualized touch.

By the time Rimmerworld occurs, Rimmer has his hard-light drive. It is established in Legion that he can touch and feel, eat and drink. He may well be able to provide a DNA sample.

Alternately, we don’t know how the cloning equipment works - it may be able to read the data from his light bee to receive his DNA code for cloning purposes.

Damned Mormons!

I like that theory. I might steal it and use it uncredited :wink: :smiley: