Excruciatingly Emotional Scenes in Movies (Spoilers)

One of the MOST brutal. Nearly unwatchable.

Another one: in Rosemary’s Baby, Rosemary is having some problems with her pregnancy and her husband pooh-poohs it every time she brings it up. At a party, several of her female friends try to console her and actually listen and want to help and it seems like maybe she’ll be okay, but in the end her husband manages to get rid of them and once again she’s completely cut off and vulnerable, alone, and wondering if she’s crazy. That really, really upset me. That movie is awesome.

I had to stop watching Eye for an Eye after the rape scene. It was too violent, and I just couldn’t take it. I also couldn’t handle the opening scenes of Braveheart, where he comes home to a murdered family - I couldn’t keep watching, and I’ll probably never see that movie.

I cried for Life is Beautiful. Who didn’t?

Others that got me weepy:
That scene from Monsters Inc (already mentioned).
The “I can’t carry it for you, Mr Frodo, but I can carry you!” scene from ROTK.
The end of Finding Neverland, when she comes downstairs to watch the play.
I tend to avoid overly emotional movies, because I’m a wimp. I cry at Tim Horton’s commercials.

My apologies if it was already mentioned, but I don’t want to read the spoilers. The one scene that got me crying like a baby, tears running down and all, was William Forsythe in The Waterdance. He is paraplegic from having been hit by car while motorcycling, and he is pinning all his hopes on the lawsuit against the driver. He finds out that his mom hired an incompetent lawyer off the TV and he has no chance. He wheels outside and is crying and screaming about his loss; up till then he had been portrayed as an ignorant and racist guy but it is still heartbreaking to see him lose the one thing he had counted on. What a tremendous actor.

The last 15 minutes of **Requiem for a Dream ** kills me every time.

Just as a note, it is easier (for me) if you put at least the title of the movie outside of the spoiler box so that I know whether the inside of the spoiler box should be read or avoided, instead of having to carefully highlight words until I know what movie it is :wink:

I don’t know the movie in question, but gigi** and TellMeI’mNotCrazy are talking about “The Waterdance.”

Yeah I suppose it might have been helpful if I had actually mentioned the title of the movie :smack:

The deathbed scene in El Cid. “No! No! My king kneels to no man!”

Mostly I will echo some already mentioned: To Kill a Mockingbird, Requiem for a dream, The Elephant Man, Monster.

The single most affecting line I heard last year, or perhaps in the last several years, was Ennis’s last line in BBM: “Jack, I swear…”
Yes, I knew it was coming; I’d read the short story several times. And it still got me. I let it come back into my mind on the drive home from the movie and I darn near had to pull over.

Can’t believe I almost forgot this one:

Two scenes in Ladyhawke: the one where Navarre wakes up, sees Isabeau as a human and can almost touch her…and then she turns into the hawk again and flies away, and he cries out.
And at the end, when they are finally reunited as lovers/humans.

They get me every single time, no matter how many times I’ve seen the movie.

It’s become something of a joke now, but “I’m Spartacus” still puts a lump in my throat.

:smack: That does make sense. :o

I would also like to add a scene that may not be the same kind of emotional, but in Rob Roy after the rape Jessica Lange’s charater comes out of her home (it’s on fire) and has to walk by the English soldiers, including the rapist.

One of the men comments, “And with the dignity of a queen.” or something like that.

I thought it was a very good scene

The “Happy Birthday” scene and “Final Remembrance” scenes of Ikiru put a lump in my throat, and I’m usual a cynical bastitch who doesn’t cry at movies.

Spoilers for Ikiru:

[spoiler]A minor government worker discovers he has cancer and a very limited time to live, so he decides to put all of his effort into doing something significant for once in his life.

The “Happy Birthday” scene is when he makes his decision, and he walks by a group of little girls singing it to their friend - that combination of being resigned to his fate and yet determined to live his life to the fullest, totally got me.

The “Final Remembrance” scene is at the man’s funeral, where his friends are recalling in flashback the man’s efforts to get a playground built in an abandoned trash dump. At long last, the playground is built, and one night the man sneaks there, sits on the swings, and sings:

“Life is so short, my friend, life is so short…”

Earlier, he had sung the song in a very bitter, defeatist tone, but this time, he is completely at peace.[/spoiler]

For a movie that so obviously pulls at heartstrings, it got me good.

I can not watch the movie “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” – it ruins me everytime.

And I am shocked, shocked! that no one has yet to mention the final scenes of . . .

Rudy.

Oh lord! I’d forgotten about it, and I’m already getting misty thinking of it. I bawled when that line came out in the theater!

I think I’ve got you all beat. Why? Because I got a little emotional thinking about a movie that hasn’t even been released yet!

I was standing in the movie theater staring at a poster for Charlotte’s Web, and I nearly cried.

Yeah, I’ve got issues.

Lot of good movies here. The Iron Giant always gets me - I always forget that there’s one more scene!

What Dreams May Come had me calling my (then boyfriend, now) husband up on the phone at 3:00 AM “just to tell you I love you” through all the tears.

The baby bathing scene in Joy Luck Club.

AI. That one got each member of my family crying in a different spot - me at the forest abandonment, my son at the Flesh Fair, my husband at the Blue Fairy. All of us at the very final end. I’ll never understand why people hated that movie so.

*Moulin Rouge *used to get me at the end, until I realized it really only has 32 chapters. Nope, I can’t hear you! Lalalala!

i manage to hold it together pretty well until juliet says “oh, happy dagger, here is thy sheath!”