"Excuse me, are you Jewish?"

Wow, that was very touching. And sobering.

And not to cheapen the experience or anything but I have to tell 2trew that his post had me laughing out loud. The line about the kittens was just too funny.

A lovely experience to share with us hajario. A mitzvah indeed. Toda.

Thank you for sharing that experience. How strange and wonderful and random.

Mom always told me Life has a way of tripping us when we aren’t looking…what a wonderful trip…
Peace be wicha now and forever.

That reminds me of this time I was flying back from the east coast and it turned out the people sitting next to me were just as a-spiritually dissaffected, materialistic, empty, thoughtless, self satisfied and treading water as myself and we got to talking about TV, because that was all we really had to talk about, and it turned out that we had all seen the same episode of The Daily Show…and it was, uh…sort of…oh nevermind

Damn You Ancient Religion with Thousands of Years of History and Culture (channeling Charlton Heston) DAMN YOU!!!

Beautiful! You know, I wonder if this sort of thing isn’t a larger part of the point of saying kaddish than I realized. The first time I ever even heard of saying kaddish was when my roomate’s boyfriend was trying to get a minyon together for his grandfather. Their grandfather’s passing might have simply been a passing, but it turned into the family reconnecting, enriching friendships, all sorts of good stuff that also helped the family cope better. More shoulders to share carrying the burden of grief.

Now you’ve gotten me thinking about this and so I’m going to go pester my friend Ari with questions about it all. Haven’t talked to him in ages-- another kaddish connection!