Exempting mandatory testing from students receiving vouchers

You didn’t answer my question.

She absolutely answered it, as long as it was a relevant question–that is, as long as the “them” in your post applied to “stupid people” in order to make your question relevant.

monstro, as far as I can tell, was specifically objecting to spending public money on bad private schools, not all private schools.

The only way she didn’t answer your question is if you were asking if she supported defunding all public schools because of some bad apples, in which case you were asking her an irrelevant question.

Can you describe the appropriate level of reading and math skills that a child exiting 3rd grade should be able to demonstrate?

If you can’t, then how are you supposed to know the quality of education that your child is receiving? I can do 3rd grade math, but I don’t know the difference between 2nd grade math and 3rd grade math, and I haven’t a clue how I would personally determine whether or not my child was ahead or behind without a professional teacher helping me, or without a standard test of some kind to show what he has and hasn’t learned.

This thread started with the question of whether private schools receiving vouchers should be held to the same standards in testing as public schools. Several people pointed out that the market holds private schools accountable. monstro replied only with something about the market being full of stupid people and implied this meant that schools not accepting standardized testing shouldn’t take voucher students. So I’m trying to tell if public schools should that have lots of stupid people should also be cut off from public money. Thus far, all we’ve got is “I fully endorse defunding a public school that advocates teaching the sun revolves a 6,000-year-old earth”, no general answer to the question.

Thankfully monstro doesn’t run the education system in this country, so it’s not terribly important.

What you’re saying is not what’s happening. Parents are not voting with their dollars. They’re voting with tax payer funded money so tax payers have a say in how they spend their vouchers. If they don’t want to accept those conditions, they don’t have to accept the vouchers.

And if all educations are the same, what’s the point of vouchers? Obviously some schools are better than others. And the ones that accept government money - including vouchers - should be subject to government standards. Again, if they don’t want to accept those conditions, they don’t have to accept the vouchers.

The market should be allowed to hold schools accountable only if the schools is getting all its money from the market. Once a school accepts government money - including vouchers - it should be subject to government standards. Schools that fail to meet minimal standards should be cut off from public money.