Exit ramp speed limits

The color scheme of road signs is regulated.

Black and white or red and white are regulatory signs - means you do what they say or risk a ticket.
Black and yellow - warnings, not regulatory
Green and white - informational - related to location, distance, etc.
Blue and white - informational - driver information, road conditions, etc.
Brown and white - informational - tourist/landmark

If a sign is anything other than red/white or black/white, it is NOT regulatory.

A friend who is a OTR truck drive told me that those yellow speed warning signs you refer to are primarily intended for fully loaded (80,000 pound) 18 wheel trucks. It represents the maximum recommended speed that would not shift a load.

So a black-on-yellow Yield sign is not regulatory? If so, I didn’t realize that.

I seem to remember seeing those more frequently back east. Living in California since 1979 I can’t remember when’s the last time I saw one of those here recently. Are they still used?

Google images: https://www.google.com/search?q=yield+sign+black+yellow&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2unKUqfKOubm2AXz7YD4DQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=648

I was taught in driving school not to slow down when exiting the Freeway. You’re supposed to maintain Freeway speeds until you’re on the exit ramp. Even then any sudden braking is a bad idea unless you enjoy getting rear ended.

We have a bad exit outside Little Rock where I-430 South merges into I-30. The exit makes a very sharp turn, almost a U Turn. I think its posted at 30mph? or maybe 35. If you hit that curve too fast you’re screwed.

The question is: What is considered to be part of the exit ramp? I would think that when the freeway suddenly gets a new lane to the right, and that lane leaves the freeway further on, then you can start decelerating now, even though there’s no real physical separation yet between this exit lane and the freeway’s main lanes.

If you get off of freeways & onto State highways, you will see a lot of yellow signs mounted as a diamond with curve & suggested cautionary speeds.

It has been a while since I took the written test but to not know the signage in a country that you have a drivers license for is really looking for trouble.

You realize, of course (don’t you) that snailboy actually drives one of those souped-up “Z cars”, in which he lays rubber doing 0-to-80 jackrabbit starts on city streets, and 120+ on the highways. He had his car custom-repainted to be an “S” car (as in Snail) :rolleyes: instead of a “Z” car.

He leaves all the other cars, cops included in the dust. They just roll their eyes as snailboy screams past and say “Wow. Look at that S Car Go!”

Ha ha. And when the weather is nice, I’m on one of these.

That’s not the question, because in that case, people will still start slowing down in the freeway’s main lanes.

The complete color code from the MUTCD (includes signs, signals, and pavement markings) is as follows:
A. Black—regulation
B. Blue—road user services guidance, tourist information, and evacuation route
C. Brown—recreational and cultural interest area guidance
D. Coral—unassigned
E. Fluorescent Pink—incident management
F. Fluorescent Yellow-Green—pedestrian warning, bicycle warning, playground warning, school bus
and school warning
G. Green—indicated movements permitted, direction guidance
H. Light Blue—unassigned
I. Orange—temporary traffic control
J. Purple—lanes restricted to use only by vehicles with registered electronic toll collection (ETC)
accounts
K. Red—stop or prohibition
L. White—regulation
M. Yellow—warning
It’s my understanding that yellow warning signs are advisory and not ticketable. Exception: The signs indicating bridge underclearances are yellow but disregarding these signs may be hazardous to your vehicle.