Expansion of the Universe: a two-part question

Maybe when I’m paid to be a birthday clown and not an astrophysicist. :wink:

Bravo! A brilliant reply, Stranger. It’s enough to make one disappointed that the universe won’t contract!

I’m sorry for my ignorance, but I’ve got to ask this question. If the question has been answered above, I’ll re-read until I (hopefully) understand.
My question is: Dosn’t the very word “Expansion” mean something (even if it’s something we don’t understand right now) is moving away from a “base” or stationary “thing?”
What is this thing? What is space moving away from? What is it moving toward?

Space is expanding “away” from itself. If you could imagine being a single raisin in a freshly mixed batter of cinnimon bread, you’d see every other raisin expanding away from you, without reference to anything but yourself. Similarly, if you had two observers gravitationally isolated from each other in space (and widely seperated) they would see each other, and everything else, accelerating away from them; however, as they measure no effect of acceleration (no “virtual” D’Alambert forces as a result of inertia), they would each conclude that they are not in motion and are therefore the center of the universe, away from which everything is fleeing.

There is, at least in threespace, no “away” or “toward” for universal expansion; the space between all objects just gets greater (and grows at a rate proportional to how distant they are). It is possible that this might have some kind of orientable property “outside” the universe (as in “branes” colliding), but it’s neither here nor there to us as we’re unable to experience or measure it.

It’s not a trivial question, though; time clearly does have a preferred direction, and it is oriented “with” the expansion of space. The reason for this is unknown; we can justify it in terms of itself, i.e. entropy and causality, but we don’t fundamentally understand why one thing happens after another, and indeed, on the quantum level, causality does not hold in the classical sense. But hey, if George Lucas can ignore it in order to incestuously tie together every character in his saga, why should we agonize over it? :smiley:

Stranger