[QUOTE=Little Nemo]
To those who responded to my previous post, obviously what I wrote is my own personal opinion. If you enjoy a work of art for other reasons, that’s good and I certainly don’t think my opinion is right and others are wrong.
I will concede Pollack is not the worst example of what I described. But I think he’s an inspirational pioneer figure to some of the artists who are producing some of the worst examples.
I was once visiting a modern art museum (it was in fact the same one exhibiting Pollack’s works). One of the exhibits was a piece of canvas that was painted yellow. That was the work of art. Next to it was a plaque explaining the work. The artist had been dying of AIDS. He spent the last few months of his life working on this painting. Every morning he would get up and paint the canvas a uniform coat of yellow. Then he’d let it dry. Then in the evening, he’d sand off as much of the paint as he could. He’d get most of it off but a little would remain each time, so it slowly built up a yellow coating on the canvas. He repeated this every day until he died.
The plaque explained that the artist was trying to communicate a message about something - I don’t recall exactly what - the transcience of life and art or something like that. But when I read it, all I could think was that that man had wasted his last months on earth. He could have been doing something useful or meaningful or fun or entertaining with the same time and energy he spend essentially digging up and filling in the same ditch over and over and over. I tried to sympathize - the man was dying - but all I could think was what a waste of time.
Because all it really was was a canvas painted yellow. The artist, or anyone else, could have achieved the same result with an hour’s work. Everything else was a story about the bizzarely elaborate method this man had devised to paint the canvas yellow. If the painting ever became seperated from the plaque, nobody would even know what it was he had done. The painting itself was unimportant; it was just a prop to anchor the manner in which it had been painted.
[/QUOTE]
These days, for many, the artwork is not just the “final product” but the process as well. Some would argue that its really always been about the process and not about the final product, but I would say there have just always been two different ways to appreciate a piece. Anyway, the one you saw clearly was intended to be appreciated not just as a physical produced object, but rather as a process of producing a physical object.
Just because it was intended to be appreicated in that way does not mean you have to appreciate it in that way, of course. But given the choice between an interesting interpretation (“it’s communicating an epiphany on the sysiphan nature of life in the face of death” or whatever) and a boring intepretation ("It’s yellow and it doesn’t communicate anything) I’ll take the interesting one.
By the way, both interpretations’ formulations constitute rather banal statements. But even if the point of a work can seem banal when formulated in a sentence or two, the appreciation of the work isn’t an appreciation of its interpretation, especially its formulated interpretation. Rather the appreciation depends on the extent to which and way in which the work (as interpreted) has drawn you into an experience not otherwise accessible to you, in a way which informs (or perhaps deforms!) those experiences that are accessible to you.
I am not an art critic or anything. This is just how it seems to me.
-FrL-
-FrL-