Explosives Camp? Why the HELL Didn't They Have This When I Was a Kid?

What a moronic statement. To be expected, but still moronic. People trained in something generally have a greater respect for it, and are less likely to do something stupid, like think that C-4 is available to the public, or that bombing mailboxes is cool.

Yeah. Uh-huh.

People “trained” in something. :rolleyes: Being properly trained is one thing, being a dabbler or dilletante is another.

People gain a respect for something if their living depends on it, not when they are going to daddy-paid-for summer camp, you twit.

Oh, I can’t get C-4? Well, I’ll just mosey on down to the gun store and buy some 1 lb. cans of black powder, then.

You’re no judge of what is moronic, you ding-ding wack-a-doo.

Spoken like someone who knows what the hell they’re talking about. I take that back. I’ll say spoken like a paranoid.

Not all people have to make a paycheck off a skill to learn to respect it. Hell, I don’t make a living orienteering, laying fire on a target, or canoeing down the Ocmulgee River in Georgia. But I have respect for these skills–they’re useful and practical. Oh, by the way, I went to summer camp to learn some of these things. Then they tried to re-teach me some of them in basic training. I already had a leg up.

However, teaching someone the professional basics of safe demolitions with real-world applications under a watchful eye might actually broaden a few horizons. After all, not every gun-wielding teenager is out to incite a coup d’etat.

Zambini, you apparently are one of these kids that just can’t quite get the jist of a structured, professional environment. Don’t worry, I’m sure you’re paranoid delusions of children running amok on the streets teaching the “JD’s” (whoever they are :confused: . . . ) how to make bombs won’t come to fruition. I will say that comparing black powder to C-4 is moronic. Black powder is a slow burner, you fool.

Tripler
Oh, but I wouldn’t safely know. I’ve only handled blasting caps with “a EOD flight”. :rolleyes:

Black powder is a slow burner, eh? Huh. Wonder why it can push a bullet down a barrel at 1300fps.

Color me surprised.

You’re the military guy, right? You went to the school and you don’t know that black powder is a dangerous explosive? So what if it is not classified as a “high” explosive. It is still dangerous.

Do you still have all your fingers?

Comparing C-4 to black powder is “moronic”, but comparing cheesy, week-long, frozen chicken-blowing up “demolition training” to canoeing on the Crackerhoolie isn’t?

Don’t care anymore.

Zambini57, personal insults are not allowed outside of the Pit. We can have a decent discussion without resorting to insults; we can even disagree without the name-calling. If you have to rant about another poster, however, please confine it to the Pit.

You’re cutting it a wee bit too close here, silenus. The first sentence is okay; after all, we allow you to attack what the person said. Your second sentence, with the “[t]o be expected”, can be inferred as a personal attack. I’m not saying it is one, but I’d rather we step away from the line and focus on the discussion and not the person.

I am guessing he is using an old term for Juvenile Deliquents .

Declan

I used to work with a guy who decided to liven up his summer by enrolling on a week-long explosives course (the kind that actually results in a licence to use gelegnite & stuff). He just did it because blowing stuff up sounded like a fun change from project management and sailing. The fact that afterwards he regularly got phone calls from random acquaintances inviting him to blow up tree stumps, rocks etc. was an unexpected bonus. “So what do you get up to at the weekend?” “I dynamited an outcropping that was in the way of my girlfriends uncles neighbours new jetty. How about you?”

Oh, to be able to preface a story with “This one time, at explosives camp…”

When I was in Boy Scouts, a guy brought some Primercord out and blew a tree in half for a demonstration. It wasn’t meant to be educational, we all just thought it was hella cool.

…So I wonder if I could start this kind of thing up in Canada…

ponders, very deeply

How to say this without crossing the line and insulting another poster outside of the Pit - Zambini, you’re raining on our parade here without any apparent reason. Tucker started this thread because he was excited about the idea of explosives camp; the rest of us participating are probably excited about the idea, too. You don’t seem excited about it; you seem scornful of it. Maybe you could start your own thread about why explosives camp is such a bad idea. There’s a difference between a back-and-forth discussion of an idea and simple thread-shitting.

(This isn’t intended as Junior Modding, either - it is my opinion as a participant here that Zambini should take his attitude elsewhere. I think blowing shit up sounds like fun!)

Just heard this joke: What do you call a monkey in a minefield? A ba-BOOM!

I’d sign up. If I’m going to be moving up north, there may be granite to blast.

I’ll ask my co-worker, who is from one of the mining town even further north. H’d know about blowing stuff up.

And in the interests of full disclosure, Rolla is right next to Ft Leonard Wood, which happens to be the home of the Army Engineer School. I am quite sure the instructors at the civilian course are the graduates of said school by no coincidence.

Tuckerfan, I hope you know, you made my life much more difficult for this. My husband REALLY wants to go. I’ll never hear the end of this. :smiley:

Ok, it was my fault for showing him the thread… :rolleyes:

It’s okay, I promise to come and keep you “company” while he’s away at camp! :wink:

I’ll hold you to that! But, what happens when he blows himself up!? :smiley:

In reality, he has a pretty good grip on explosives. As probably everyone knows, he’s a firefighter, but he’s also a Haz-Mat something. Its one step above tech. He once had to rescue a chemical engineer whose colleagues taught him to make exploding paper. There’s still an 8 X 4 foot patch in the tarmac where it finally came to rest. The hole was a couple feet deep. The engineer was ok, and his colleagues got to take a class on not blowing up the FNGs.
Unfortunately, that just makes him more interested in making things go boom himself.
:rolleyes:

My son would love to go to Explosives Camp.

Maybe the opportunity to learn about making big booms will encourage him to study math more.

Oh, yeah:

:smiley: