Exporting Crude Oil

**Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaexile View Post
And if you think light sweet crude (Texas Intermediate) would be the ONLY product that companies would export, then you aren’t aware of how the oil industry works. If they are allowed to export unrefined oil, they’ll export ANYTHING which they can to make a profit.

When you hear that someone is supporting any kind of legislation it’s always a good idea to check behind the scenes to see what’s in it for them.**

Ahhh…the majority of oil producers in the United States are in fact are either owners of refineries or have close business ties to refineries.
It’s a very incestuous business.

You assume that we will be an exporter.

I have worked for five different oil companies and I can state that the way that they treat their refineries tells me that they couldn’t give a crap if they ran or not. They are more the “bastard” stepchildren of the energy industry than they are seen as an integral part of the business.

That’s why Conoco-Philips, Delta Airlines and hedge fund consortiums are purchasing them for a song: It’s the side of the business which no one really wants.

Okay, got it. You’re saying build new refineries located in North Dakota to deal with increased oil production there. The problem with that is that refineries are incredibly expensive to build, and they don’t really have a good profit margin. Basically, it’s a very low IRR proposition.

Actually that is what most of the experts think. Refined retail products are correlated to the global price of oil. If the U.S. adds a source of steady stable supply to the global market that should reduce volatility and reduce the global price of oil. Exporting should also raise the domestic price of oil; however, since refined products are correlated to the global price they should reduce in price.

The price won’t drop much because the feedstock is a globally traded commodity that needs to be imported. Refineries aren’t going to import heavy oil and refine it so they can turn around and sell into an oversupplied U.S. market that results in a plummeting price for their product.

This is just a different degree of the same thing.

Presumably this would be the elected politicians.

You’re basically right. One point though: we won’t be importing refined products; we’ll be importing crude oil that our refineries are configured to handle.

Who is the dictator that’s going to prohibit private companies from drilling on private lands? Is it the same person who is going to be okay with removing the billions of dollars in tax and royalty revenue from the federal, state, and local budgets?

If you count selling their product to them as having close business ties then I guess so. Otherwise, not really. The independent producer dominates the U.S. oil and gas industry.

I don’t assume we will be exporter. We are an exporter. With the capex dollars already spent to build out the refinery capacity we have, why do you think we will stop?

You’re also pretty off on your details. ConocoPhillips no longer owns refineries. They spun them off as a stand alone company called Phillips 66 back in 2012. It’s an independent refiner, which I can assure does not want to just cease to exist. Same thing that happened with Marathon. These are independent refiners just like Valero, Tesoro, Holly, Alon, and many others.

Who said anything about a dictator? Exporting oil is off limits now, and the closest thing this country ever had to a dictator is the Brits. If producers drill too much oil there will be a glut and nobody will be able to sell it for jack squat.

I’m saying the United States does not have to subject its lands and people to the punishment associated with wide-scale fracking in order to supply the world with oil. The United States can supplement its own needs via fracking as it sees fit, and that ought to be the extent of it. The billions are already in the ground where they belong. They should never be sold to foreigners.

I saw this note in a research report that I read discussed the impact of Alaska exports on California refined product pricing that I thought I would pass on.

That is not the way that the panel of experts seemed to think it worked. They seemed to present this legislation as picking winners and losers between the oil producers and refiners (at least in part).

And doesn’t the crude export ban make them slightly better propositions?

So we either export the crude and import the refined or ban the export of crude and just export the refined. At the most it seems like you are saying that the ban has virtually no effect on the price at the pump. I don’t see how you get to lower prices at the pump by lifting the ban on exports of crude.

The global oil market is not exactly a free market. There is a cartel out there that manipulates the price of oil. Throwing our oil into the global supply to help smooth out oil shocks is kind of silly when so much of the free oil supply is controlled by this cartel. Oil is not one of those commodities where a free marketeer can simply instruct others to rely on the free market.

Right now there is captive crude that cannot be exported. That crude must be priced at a level that will allow the refineries to make a profit or the refineries won’t refine. This might result in less domestic production because the price is too low to support the more expensive extractions but assuming that producers and refiners are willing to simply squeeze their profits, why wouldn’t we get lower prices at the pumps?

Pfft!

Hrmm.

I am starting to wonder if we can accomplish anything short of a quota system on all petro product exports. I am primarily concerned with cheap gas, not because I want to reduce my price at the pump but because I want to reduce our society’s price at the pump. I think cheap gas would be good for our economy.

I’d like to go ahead a quote myself a few times from this thread. I think a salient point is being missed.

So, just to state it again, we won’t be exporting crude and importing refined. There is no proposal to import refined products. Nobody is saying import refined products. The proposal is export one type of raw material (light crude) and import another type of raw material (heavy crude).

I don’t see how you got that from my comment. I specifically said it would reduce the price of refined products, and I specifically said how that would happen by lifting the ban on exports. Here it is again.

In other words, you get lower prices at the pump by reducing the global price of crude oil. The U.S. exporting crude oil reduces the global price of crude oil.

But OPEC doesn’t exactly operate in a very coordinated way. They set quotas and then turn around and cheat on them. The members all hate each other. Saudi Arabia is really the only country with spare capacity. OPEC has also lost market share, and their combined spare capacity is declining as a share of the total crude oil demand.

Because we still need to import heavy crude at the prevailing global market price to supply our refineries with the necessary feedstock. As long as that is the case our price at the pump will be based on global crude prices and not the domestic light crude oil prices.

OK, so we export light and import heavy and net export refined? I could live with that.

OK, so it sounds like you are saying that the export ban is permitting refineries to sell at larger than normal margins and the lack of an export ban on refined products means that we pay the global price on refined anyways, right? So we could increase export of crude to reduce the price of refined products by a little bit. So why couldn’t we restrict the export of refined products to reduce the price of gas by a lot.

Aside from the desire to have lower domestic energy prices, I am also not enthusiastic about things like fracking if some significant portion of that fracking productions is stabilizing “global” markets rather than just the domestic market. Its one thing to risk poisoning our water so that our economy can benefit, its another thing to risk it to increase the global supply of oil and gas.

I’m pretty sure its still a cartel. I read a history of OPEC once and IIRC the author made a very good argument that the fall of the USSR was the result of a battle with OPEC and the ascension of Hugo Chavez was the result of the prior regime’s battle with OPEC. OPEC can destroy oil exporting nations if they put their mind to it.

Are refineries incapable of being reconfigured?