Face the Music - Fanny, or, "So you thought you knew 70's rock. . ."

There was a Shaggs movie in the works a couple of years ago, but I haven’t heard much about it since.

How the hell have I never heard of these people?

– well, OK, there were a lot of people doing great music then who I never heard of at the time either; my knowledge in that area was never all that broad. But still –

The album was Philosophy of the World, and my link in #11 was a song from that album. So yes, that was them at the height of their “talent”. I wouldn’t call it “minimally competent”. The whole album (as much of it as I could tolerate) sounds to me like three kids picked up some instruments they’d never touched before and tried to improvise a song.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqK1CjE9bA&t=529s

No, that was the cult Shaggs of the '60s when they were kids. Years later, as adults in the '70s, they recorded another album that was just normal and nobody’s ever heard of it.

I know, right? I was only in single-digits at the time, but I made up for it by going through my sister’s albums, listening to a lot of rock radio when they still played that era all the time, talking to ppl and using the internet. Still, I only discovered them recently. Makes you wonder what else we’re missing.

Yep Suzi showed that she could rock back in the 60’s, when she was just 15. If someone’s not into garage rock, they may not have heard it, but The Pleasure Seekers’ What a Way to Die is a classic.

And I think they do the best version of Bacharachs Little Red Book

She never seems to have made it big in the USA, but the late 70s and early 80s are for me inconceivable without Carolyne Mas, specially her “Sitting in the Dark” from her live album Mas Hysteria:

WORLD PREMIERE at HOT DOCS INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY FESTIVAL 2021!

Cool, they finally finished it!

The 2021 Hot Docs Festival will be available for audiences across Canada to stream April 29 to May 9

So that’s over, hope it’s available somewhere soon. The trailer had some NICE footage of their Beat Club performance, even better than the one posted on Youtube.

Bit o’ trivia-- Love was an influence on the Doors, or at least when the Doors were starting out, Jim Morrison’s ambition was for the Doors to become as famous as the band Love:

By the time Love entered RCA Studio B in September 1966 to record their second album, Da Capo , Pfisterer had been moved from drums to organ and harpsichord – an indication of Lee’s ever-increasing ambition. Aware of Jim Morrison’s ambition “to be as big as Love”, Lee pulled out all the stops.

Been listening to her on Youtube. I really enjoyed her live performances.