Facial and neck tattoos. Do they have problems finding jobs?

Or has a nasty skin disease.

Oh how times have changed.
I’ve become so accustomed to being served coffee at my local coffee shop by guys and gals with piercings and tattoos that it just doesn’t feel right to have a barista who doesn’t have tattoos or piercings or dreadlocks.
Of course the new guy is clean-cut, but I forgive him since he is ridiculously hot.

On a more serious level, I’d agree that I’d be put off by a visible tattoo at a fancy restaurant. I doubt I’d care too much, but I’d notice and think it odd.

Well, I work for a pretty Big Company, a large software developer headquartered in Redmond Washington. There are plenty of people with tatoos here. Of course, I don’t work on the customer facing side. It might hamper your work if you were in legal or marketing or upper management. But if you’re a developer or tester or designer? Not really a problem. I guess PMs tend to be a bit more clean cut, and as you move from individual contributor to lead you see that sort of thing less and less.

Actresses, pop stars, and musicians? Some of the most fucked-up people on the planet, as a group.

I have a friend with a ton of tattoos and she has to wear turtlenecks and long sleeved shirts, and either full skirts or pants everyday at work, regardless of how hot it is outside. Her company specifically prohibits visible tattoos - its their policy.

also, I remember working in a CPA firm and one girl had the neatest tattoo of a phoenix. And she wore sleeveless blouses in the summer time occasionally. Until a partner told her that she needed to cover it up. Then she got all whiny and bitchy about it. :rolleyes: I wasn’t particularly surprised - its a CPA firm. Those folks are more uptight than any other industry on the planet.

Odd, I’d expect that “enlisted military” would be a subgroup with a relatively high tolerance for tattooing–I certainly see enough arm/shoulder tattoos on those guys.

As with many of the techie types here, I wouldn’t have a problem hiring someone with a tattoo pretty much anywhere–it’s much less relevant in our geeky little caves. Granted, I personally dislike pretty much all tattoos and piercings more than a tasteful earring or whatever, but I don’t see any reason to judge someone harshly for having one (unless the artwork itself is also unacceptable outside the tattoo context, like the aforementioned f-bomb knuckles).

OK. I’ll bite. What are you dealing with?

An Individual!

The thing with sweats and Hawaiian shirts is that you don’t usually show up to the job interview in them. If you do, I can make a call on what kind of person you are and if you are a good fit for the job.

Facial tattoos can be difficult to cover up. I really don’t care if you have one on your arm or a “tramp stamp” or something on your ankle when I’m hiring you…that’s under “what I don’t know can’t create an issue.” And if, after I hire you, you expose it - well, if you aren’t dealing with customers and it isn’t a distraction, I don’t care (exposing the tattoo on your ass might be a distraction, but that distraction might not be completely due to the tattoo). But a facial tattoo or one on the neck (not covered by long hair) or HATE on the fingers - those sort of scream “I really don’t have good judgment.” That’s a fine thing for many jobs, but not the sort of job I’ve ever hired for (and I’m a techie type).

If you show up at the supermarket in sweatpants, I assure you, I’m making a call on what kind of person you are, and I absolutely question your judgement.

I’m not defending facial tattoos, or ignoring the fact that tattoos are permanent, but anyone who defends sweatpants outside the house but decries neck tattoos is fooling themselves if they think they’re talking about a difference of quality as opposed to degree.

Oh, yes.

I’ve got friend who can’t stand tattoos because they remind him of the numbers the Nazis tattooed on his mother’s arm. I can sort of see where even the best done body art can make him uncomfortable with associations like that.

See, that’s one of the downsides to tattoos. Although now they’re seen as pretty innocuous by one segment of the population there are enough other groups around who have a completely different association with them that it can cause problems.

Well, given that I have a tattoo (but one that’s pathetically easy to cover up and would never even come up in a work setting), I don’t really care either way. I think the stereotype comes from people like this girl I know–who complains all the time about “selling out” and having to get a real job, who wants to write the Great American Novel but spends most of her time getting drunk and talking about it more than anything, and then gets drunk and gets a tattoo on the back of her neck. (Disclaimer: Shady, shady, super-sketch tattoo studio! Any reputable half-decent artist will not work on an intoxicated client! But if you go to a lousy place where the artists are just killing time between smoke breaks, sure, anything goes.)

To a lot of people, neck tattoos (and face tattoos) say “impetuous poorly-thought-out decision,” or “I didn’t think this through,” or “I made lousy decisions in college.” To me, it doesn’t say that, because I can’t be bothered to worry about what other people put on their skin. But to a lot of people, especially those of older generations or who are especially conservative, very visible tattoos can be a sign of Trouble.

Right. Because I totally want someone as mature, stable, and responsible as Britney when I’m looking for an investment banker.

I have a tattoo on my shoulder and one on my forearm. I can easily cover them with a long sleeved shirt. Neck and face tattoos just scream “convict” to me, especially on guys with gym rat builds & shaved heads. I say that as a gym rat with a shaved head.

Just for the record, people with tattoos (and who are serious about them) are this way because they like it aesthetically for themselves and don’t give a shit what you think. More than that, they don’t give a shit if you give a shit or not.

The thing is, I’ve got extensive tats, but they’re all hidden under a short-sleeved shirt. Never been attracted by facial ink at all.

I agree with Cat Whisperer here, and I have friends who are highly tattooed - including a friend who has 80% of his body tattooed.

The thing is culturally, tattoos are not mainstream, and in many cases they are not culturally accepted. Because the cultural norm is to be un-tattooed, one who makes a conscious decision to get a tattoo in a visible location either:
A.) Has chosen to ignore these cultural norms
B.) Lacks the foresight or knowledge of these cultural norms and the possible impact of not conforming to these norms.

There is a reason why tattoo parlors do not tattoo people under the age of 18, it is not only because of risks, it is because someone who is too young may not be aware of the outcome of the decision to get a tattoo. Even tattoo parlor owners and artists are aware of these cultural norms, and will on occasion refuse to tattoo people over the age of 18 because of the location or size of the tattoo.

When I see someone who has visible and obvious tattoos, and is not overly young or naive, what I see is a rebel because to not expect that having visible tattoos would bother some people is extremely immature.

There are plenty of special snowflakes in their 20’s who think getting inked is cool & anyone who would not hire them due to the ink is prejudice and close minded. They sincerely do not think that the body art they are getting would possible impact a future career. They can’t be completely unaware that tattoo are rebellious, but many of them hide them from their parents at first.

Rebellious people can be great in some worlds. I’d expect a tattoo artist to be tattooed but I am not sure I’d want my doctor to be visibly tattooed. I know heavily tattooed people can cover up, for example I know a lawyer who covers up his sleeves when he should, and shows them when he can. He was mature in his tattoo choices.

Another person I know does not need to work due to his creative endeavors. He is about 80% covered including his skull. He has no reason or need to conform to any norms, but before he reached this point in his life, he kept his body art in places that would be covered in situations that may impact his chance of getting a job.

Earlobes the size of Frisbees and stars on your temple may work if you have a successful band that has been signed to a major label - but that look may hamper the chances of getting a job as an engineer.

I don’t think tattoos are ever going to be accepted to such a level that it they are considered to be mainstream instead of being rebellious. There are long standing cultural & religious prohibitions against tattoos, and these aren’t going away over night. Long hair on men and earrings on men are still not mainstream in many circles. Personally I like rebels, I am a rebel too, although I don’t have any tattoos, I’ve dyed my hair cherry red and have sweaters with argyle & skulls in the past - but I need a job, and I work in a conservative city, in a conservative field - so no matter how much I may want to, for work my hair is a natural shade and my clothing is conservative. I don’t have a choice if I want to work and rebellion is not more important than my career.

Because of these factors what I see when I see someone with visible body art is:

1.) Someone who doesn’t need or want a mainstream career.
2.) Someone who doesn’t care about societal norms.
3.) Someone who isn’t mature enough to know they are making a choice between a mainstream career & body art.

None of those 3 types of people are the type I’d hire to do my job although I may buy their next book or CD.

Ink is notoriously shiftless and lazy so it’s usually not an issue. But with the economy the way it is, even the most inteligent and hard working of designs are having difficulty with long term employment prospects.

Good. Then they won’t give a shit about not getting a particular job and we can close this thread.

I don’t mind tattoos…but I think face and neck tattoos are pretty stupid. You justg have to deal with the fact that lots of the world doesn’t appreciate them. Pretty much anything permanent and permanently visible is pretty stupid - what happens if you hate it later? And FTR, I have considered a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist, and may still get one - but it will be small enough that the majority of it will be covered by my wrist band. People just don’t think is what it is.