[QUOTE=tarragon918]
Now here is an unusual situation that I’d like to toss out here for the thread (and I really hope it might provoke some discussion): one of the tenets of the Sikh faith is uncut hair, which is why you see the men wearing turbans (they’ve got really long hair underneath them, folks!) as well as beards, which some roll up (using a device). Particularly if they have taken Amrit and are Amritdhari Sikhs (Amrit being akin to adult baptism or confirmation in the Christian faith is probably the best way to describe it). This includes women - which means no shaving or waxing or plucking. I guess in some cases it depends on just how closely they follow the tenets, because I’m sure that some women probably do use depilatory on facial hair, but to be honest, uncut hair means just that - uncut. Unshaven. (As an aside, I lived as an American Sikh for about 3 1/2 years, and I gotta say that it really disturbed me that I couldn’t shave under my arms!! When I decided to leave that lifestyle, it was one of the very first things I did.)
[/QUOTE]
Y’know, I live in an area that has quite a high Sikh population, and I have to say I’ve never noticed an abundance of hair on the women. Than again, I hardly ever see the women (or at least don’t notice them as Sikhs the way I do the men), so that might have something to do with it. Or they’re buying Nads off the Sikh black market.
Honestly, if I knew it was for a religious reason, I’d be able to let it go (the ick, that is.) For me, a lot of the discomfort comes from curiousity and cultural mores - and the knowledge that to simply ask why someone doesn’t remove her facial hair is nosy and rude and my grandmother would come back from the grave with a hickory switch if I asked it out loud! But if I knew the reason - whatever the reason, I wouldn’t have to agree with it - then I’d feel, “Oh, that’s OK then. Carry on.” (I can’t make that sound right. It’s not as if I’m giving permission, just that I’d internally feel better about it. Once acknowledged, it’s no longer a big deal.)
Like when I see a person with a run in their nylons. I get anxious about it and just itch to point it out so it can get taken care of. But if a goth friend runs her nylons on purpose, it doesn’t bother me. It’s the idea that the “flaw” might be unnoticed (and more importantly, might embarrass the person if they knew about it) but I can’t politely point it out that’s unsettling, even more than the flaw itself.
But I hang out with hippies and only shave my own legs thrice a year (although I do, against all community values, still shave my pits at least once a month) so who am I to judge, right? 