Fallout 4: Now Playing

Or what Kinthalis said.

Pretty sure this was a patch only for the Steam version, so you gotta be playing that. I also recall hearing about people asking for and receiving steam keys for retail or GFW copies of the game. I think this was last year.

I have the Steam GOTY edition. I’ll try it again tonight and report back.

Fallout 3 had problems with multicore processors. There is a simple .ini fix for it but I don’t know if said fix ever made it into an official patch.

Yeah. Dang it.

I guess the good news is that if all I need is mobo/CPU/GPU/RAM it won’t set me back but maybe 4-500.

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed so far. On startup it tried to detect my video card but couldn’t so defaulted to ‘low’. I set it to ‘high’ and carried on. It crashed trying to start a new game. So reset it to ‘medium’ and got a game started. It’s pretty jerky in places and there’s something weird about the anti-aliasing. I’ll reset it to ‘low’ and try again. My machine was top of the range when new 6 years ago, I’d hoped it would at least cope with the ‘medium’ settings. At least now I can justify shopping for a new machine. It also won’t let me remap the keys how I want. I play left handed so use the arrow keys for movement and the number keypad keys for common activities such as reload and VATS.

I never had any problems with the lastest bestest Steam version of FO3 on Windows 7 64-bit, after twidding .ini files and such. It doesn’t seem to do Steam achievements like FO NV does, but no big loss to me.

OTOH, playing Fallout 3 within Fallout New Vegas is awesome sauce. It’ll tide me over until I spring for FO4 (i.e., after the next major patch, because the initial release of every Bethesda Gamebryo/Creation engine game is a public beta they get people to pay to participate in :mad: )

What are your specs? IF you have an Nvidia card, and running the latest drivers, open up the GeforceExperience app. It will auto set your Fallout 4 settings to something that runs well on your system.

Dogmeat gets my dogs up and growling. It is both funny and annoying.

First time a games auto-detected settings put me at “medium”, ugh time for an upgrade i guess.

(load up the game on PC for the first time)

(go to remap the movement keys from WASD to the numpad, as I do with every single game I play because I use the moust with my left hand and WASD is awkward and uncomfortable to me)

(The game tells me that the numpad is “reserved” and I’m not allowed to bind keys to it)

Well, that’s $65 down the crapper. Wake me when someone comes up with a mod for what should be a basic function of the game.

I’d recommend maybe a game pad, or better yet, a steam controller as that lets you remap anything to anything and it also happens to be awesome for this game.

But yeah, Beth just dropped the ball on the PC UI, as usual.

I take it you didn’t build and insert your own home with the toolkit?
I probably spent half as much time building my perfect home base for storage and crafting as I did playing. :wink:

Nah, toolkit was too far removed from the game for me to mess with. I did download a few homes from the Nexus, but I barely used them.

I just watched an IGN video on making large warehouses in Fallout 4, and now I want to tear it all down and start from scratch! Deforestation ahoy!

Ehh. I’ve never found a controller to be superior to keyboard+mouse for anything besides fighting games. I’ll just wait until someone comes up with a mod.

(Now that I think about it, Skyrim had this exact same problem. I guess none of Bethesda’s coders, executives, or beta testers are left-handed.)

I guess there’s no point in avoiding bobble heads until later this Time around, as Special boosts can be taken multiple times?

Game pads aren’t, for sure, however, as you’re finding out, this UI is a gamepad UI through and through.

If you’re set on mouse ans keyboard, yeah, UI mods are probably your best hope. The Steam controller though is a marriage in gaming heaven between speed and accuracy of mouse (well, mostly) and the analog inputs of a gamepad. For a game like this one, one which could take advantage of the quickness and accuracy of the mouse, but whose UI is hobbled by a gamepad mindset, it’s kind of perfect.

I get a great feeling first person shooter experience, and I don’t have to fight the controls, neither a horribly gimped right analogue stick for aiming and camera control, nor a very poor UI for mouse and keybaord.

Anyone know if you can scrap stuff outside of your bases? I’m tearing this world apart.

Fuck molotov cocktails. Every time I throw one it snags on some bit of scenery and blows up in my face yet enemies can throw them at me with pinpoint precision from halfway across the goddamn map. Hope someone mods this cheap shit, died more to molotov cocktails than any other thing combined.

They know it’s broken every time. They know how modders always fix it, having been given an example every game of a working UI. You’d think by now they’d just put in a decent UI in the first place. How much effort could that take?

At least so far it appears they won’t be charging for mods, profiting off someone else fixing their broken stuff. As far as I know. That would’ve been an absolute dealbreaker and I’d have sworn off buying another Bethesda game again.