Fauci - Rand Paul Thread

But I didn’t lock the thread due to disruption, I locked the thread when I realized the off-topic debate was all from 1 post that had revived a thread after 3 months of no posts.

I think a lot of regular posters in GD and P&E consider the Debates to be a bit of a game or sport. Those from all sides of the political spectrum. Though I’m not sure that is what Magiver meant in this case.

That’s fair. FWIW I support the locking of the thread (if that matters), I see it like re-burying a dead horse someone had dug up to poke at.

I just wanted to have my say here about why that thread upset me so much. I appreciate that we have this space to express our opinions.

Moderator Note

The post you replied to brought up the topic relative to the moderation of the P&E thread. I don’t know if you were attempting to respond to the accusation of trolling and the topic of how that should be moderated in ATMB, but your response appears to just be addressing the Covid topic itself, which is off-topic for ATMB.

Let’s keep the discussion in ATMB relevant to the rules and moderation, please. If you wish to respond to the Covid and mask issue instead, do so in the P&E thread.

I concur - we get a lot of people who latch onto an idea on a topic on which they have a particular axe to grind or gospel to preach and who just repeat their point over and over, beating it into a puddle of mucilage even long after it’s been thoroughly rebutted. I can think of half a dozen regular posters who do this, just off the top of my head.

Is it annoying? Definitely. Is it arguing in bad faith? Sometimes. Is it trolling? Hard to say. As such, I don’t blame the mods for not jumping on every instance of this, preferring to police the more obvious cases of deliberate provocation. And the odd topic or thread ban seems to help mitigate this sort of behavior from the more irrationally fervent.

Does this mean that some people posting with malign intent get away with it? Yup. But them’s the breaks.

You may have misunderstood magiver’s post.

Atamasama accused magiver - in this (ATMB) thread - of trolling. The basis for the accusation was that magiver responded to part of Atamasama’s (P&E) post and ignored the rest of the post. magiver’s response was that “There’s nothing about the rest of [Atamasama’s] post that changes anything”.

It was a perfectly on-point response (whether valid or not, I have no idea). If you consider accusations of trolling to be appropriate for ATMB, then it’s hard to imagine that responses to those accusations are not also appropriate.

Possibly. The first part of it seems as you’ve described, but then it seemed to me to veer off into a discussion about masks. If the intent was to respond to the accusation of trolling then that’s fine. Whether or not something is trolling is certainly an ATMB discussion. I just don’t want to continue a discussion from the thread in ATMB, which is something that happens fairly often.

If I misunderstood then I apologize.