Favorite Beatles and Stones covers

My favourite Beatles cover is Long Tall Sally originally by Little Richard on their Long Tall Sally E.P released on 19 June 1964. The song is particularly special to me as I heard it at a party the first time I met my wife in 1969, it was our our first dance at our wedding in 1974 and it was played at our 40th Wedding anniversary this year!! We got a band who did a brilliant version
(The Mod Cons) and made our party a really special one!

Rudolph Isley introduced Twist & Shout to John Lennon when the Isley Brothers toured with the Beatles in 1962. He thought it would be a good cover for his voice.

I know cause I once had a talk with Rudy on the subject

I think Bésame Mucho is kinda fun.

Going back to the Hamburg days, how about My Bonnie and Ain’t She Sweet?

I agree with “Love in Vain” for the Stones.

Also, does Mick sing “like MEEEE” when they cover “Like a Rolling Stone”?

You know, when I opened this, I first thought this song. I love it well enough that it’s one of the few songs I can play and sing at the same time.

And I don’t know how I missed this thread the first time around, but reading through it made me realize that my favorites from each are:

Stones: Ain’t Too Proud to Beg. (The keys joining Jagger on “I KNOW You wanna leave me”, sells me on the arrangement every time.)

Beatles: Act Naturally. (I just think Buck provided the best source material to work with.)

Beatles: “Long Tall Sally”
Stones: “You Got to Move”

I’ve made this mistake twice recently. I know better, and I’m publishing a correction this time. Buck Owens didn’t write Act Naturally, that credit goes to Johnny Russell and Voni Morrison.
Don’t post while drunk, kids.

Are you saying I can’t post?

And don’t call me “Kid”!

:smiley:

Beatles: “Twist and Shout,” with “Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey” a runner-up

Rolling Stones: “You Gotta Move,” with “Not Fade Away” a runner-up

I always do.

Revolver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thxli1BdbsM

Well, the legal BAC for posting on the internet is much higher than the one for driving, proportional to the local laws.

Sorry, I imagine everyone I can’t see as having a goatee and little horns. I’m probably projecting a bit.

Very, very beautiful!

Off Live at the BBC, I will go with Hippy Hippy Shake, and A Shot of Rhythm and Blues. As DChord says, John totally sells the vocals. When he injects “With just a little” (rock and roll on the side, just for good measure) in the chorus, it gets me every time.

Twist and Shout is the equivalent of Respect, I’ll Be Loving You, and Heard it Through the Grapevine, and Watchtower as transformative versions, IMHO.

When it comes down to it, for me, I’m a Money guy. Can’t shake that riff.

As for the Stones, wow. Would have to go with You Gotta Move and It’s All Over Now.

I am truly surprised that so may people prefer the Beatles’ versions of Money and Twist and Shout. I personally feel like their versions of these songs are obviously inferior. I don’t mean to insult anyone’s taste but I don’t understand it at all, just a little shocked that I am so far a minority of one so far.

SHOUT!

I honestly think the Isley Brothers did the all-time definitive version of “Twist and Shout,” because of the great energy it projects. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Beatles’ cover of it is awesome too, but the Isleys just brought it all together the best. Although the instrumental playing is better in the Beatles’ version.

I’m not a Stones fan, but I have to cite their “You Gotta Move” as noteworthy. The first time I heard it, it blew my mind: I felt as W.C. Handy must have felt the first time he heard such music at the train station in Tutwiler, Mississippi in 1903:

Such an experience opens one’s brain to a whole new way of hearing music.

The Stones performed their cover as hommage to Mississippi Fred McDowell’s version of it, and I think they did justice to it.

As to this: here’s a replica of a cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM69p3IAqcc — It speaks for itself. Lovely jolt to begin a Monday morning.

Stairway To Heaven.

OK, you win the thread. That was fucking brilliant. :smiley: