Favorite Electronic Music

Also, Collide’s pretty cool, and I love the first album by the Sneaker Pimps.

Also, Collide’s pretty cool, and I love the first album by the Sneaker Pimps.

Walter/Wendy Carlos – any classical works (Swiotched-on Bach, SOB II, Well-Tempered Synthesizer, Swiotched-on Brandenbergs, etc.) I hate all of his/her original works.

Jean-Michel Jarre – Oxygene

Unknown – I have an anonymous album of classical synthesizer music. Among other things, it has a great version of Bach’s tocata and Fugue in D Minor that’s better than Carlos’

Rick Wakeman – too many to mention

Slightly different choices…

Morton Subotnik: Silver Apples from the Moon / The Wild Bull
Evocative and brainy experimental music from the 60’s. Features the greatest synth ever built and lots of sounds that kids these days think are new.

Francis Dhomont: Forêt Profonde
Some people may not call this music. Call it sound art then, close the lights and let it take you somewhere else.

Laika: Music From the Satellites
Rock? Pop? Electronica? I’m not sure what to file this under but that’s why I like it.

I’m a Daft Punk fan - in fact I’m listening to Around the World right now.

Also, Klint has a song (I think it qualifies as electronic music) called Diamond, specifically the remix. Good stuff.

I like Walter Carlos’ stuff as well. :wink:
Also, Fatboy Slim and Kraftwerk.

I like Walter Carlos’ stuff as well. :wink: (please do not misinterpret, I mean music)

I like Walter Carlos’ stuff as well. :wink: (please do not misinterpret, I mean music)

Heh Jovan and Attrayant, I think the experimental edge rides the edge of obscure to being archaeological finds. However Attrayant, if they use electronic instruments, they fit this thread, and are definitely worth mentioning. Morton Subotnik sounds interesting from the description.

Speaking of obscure, I finally found Schaft Switchblade which I’ve only found on mail order from Japan and I never had 50 bucks to available for one CD since then. It’s amazing, it’s a project headed up by Raymond Watts from Pig, with people like Coil and Autechre throwing their weight in.

Erek

My top ten electronic albums: (It is REALLY hard to limit them to ten, as I have about 600 favorite electronic albums)

(this list is not ordered)

Erasure - Chorus
Depeche Mode - Violator
Red Flag - The Crypt
Pet Shop Boys - Bilingual
Mesh - Who Watches Over Me?
Cause and Effect - Another Minute
Strange Angels - Somewhere in the Night Sky
A-ha - Minor Earth Major Sky
Camoflauge - Voices and Images
Various - Nobodys Diary: a tribute to Yazoo

especially that last one! (My band - Elevated Sins - is on it!)

:slight_smile:

Heh Jovan and Attrayant, I think the experimental edge rides the edge of obscure to being archaeological finds. However Attrayant, if they use electronic instruments, they fit this thread, and are definitely worth mentioning. Morton Subotnik sounds interesting from the description.

Speaking of obscure, I finally found Schaft Switchblade which I’ve only found on mail order from Japan and I never had 50 bucks to available for one CD since then. It’s amazing, it’s a project headed up by Raymond Watts from Pig, with people like Coil and Autechre throwing their weight in.

Erek

I find myself going for long stretches of time where I listen to only electronic stuff then get this sudden thought of “oh my god! Guitars!” Then I go long strectches with guitar music and think “oh my god! Synths!” Rinse. Repeat. It’s kind of annoying. Anyways…

My major loves over the years have included:
Ministry (earlier stuff is more electronic, but I like their later stuff up to Dark Side of the Spoon - that one just sucked in so many ways)

Meat Beat Manifesto (Storm the Studio is an ignored masterpiece, and 99% and Satyricon are exceptionally good “alternative” dance albums)

Skinny Puppy (warning: this is not happypopmusic!)

Orbital (they peaked with Snivilisation and In Sides, everything since then has been downhill)

Aphex Twin (especially his more ambient stuff, but Drukqz just didn’t do a dang thing for me)

The Art of Noise (mmm, Anne Dudley)

Depeche Mode (but only the stuff from the 80s)

808 State (Ex:El and Gorgeous are amongst the best technopop I’ve ever heard)

and Kraftwerk (Yay! I got see these hermits live in 1998!)

Some acts I’ve gotten into in the past few years include:

Add N to X (3 Moogs and sometimes a live drummer - when they have the drummer they make some great rock music)

VNV Nation (I hate their name, but Empires is an exceptionally good album, it really surprised me how much I liked it)

Rapoon (one man ambient act from former :Zoviet*France:-ster Robin Storey, rather hard to describe, but if you like Aphex Twin’s SAW II or Brian Eno you should like Rapoon)

And, what the hell, Synaesthesia (one of Bill Leeb’s side projects, space music really, but I like it more than Delerium)

What are they named after? :confused:

Do Mogwai count? or Sigur Ros? Tortoise? Tosca? I’m bad with music styles…

VNV stands for Victory Not Vengeance.

Tars: Mogwai and Tortoise DEFINITELY count. Tortoise is great. I know a lot of people into Sigur Rose but I don’t know them myself and Tosca I don’t know.

Semp: Rapoon is pretty good, I have Cold War Drum n Bass.

Erek

Does Wesley Willis count? :wink:

Ack…oh so many choices and eras to pick from…

Kraftwerk-Radioactivity
Cabaret Voltaire- CrackDown
Coil-Horse Rotorvator
Front242- official version
Skinny Puppy- ViVisectVi
Front Line Assembly- Tactical Neural Implant
Delerium-Spheres
Lustmord- Where The Black Stars Hang
KLF-chill out
Juno Reactor- Shango
Download- Effector/Eyes of Stanley Pain/Furnace
Imminent Starvation- Nord
Beefcake-i forget the title…:slight_smile:
VnV nation- Praise the Fallen/Empires
Covenant- Sequencer
gridlock- Trace/Further

i’m sure there are more…i just can’t think of them at the moment…

Heh, I dunno is Wesley Willis electronic? I generally don’t listen to joke bands, while his lyrics are funny I haven’t sought out listening to his music so I dunno if it’s electronic or not. I always thought it was kind of punky.

Erek

heh Covenant Sequencer is also one of my faves.

Coil Horse Rotorvator is amazing as well
as far as Download I think I am the only person who thinks that III is one of their best albums. It certainly has one of the best covers of an album ever with the art by Dave McKean.

Erek

Wesley Willis uses only the demo track on his keyboard, as well as some other samples. When he’s with a band, they may play other instruments, but on his own he’s pure electronic. I definitely agree that he’s punk-like, but he is most definitely not making joke music, even if it is humorous.