Favorite Fairy Tale Re-Telling

Snow White: A Tale of Terror. Sigourney Weaver makes a great Wicked Witch.

Santa Steps Out

[sub]sorry, very sorry…[/sub]

Oooh, I just remembered - Roald Dahl wrote some poems about fairytales, in his delightfully twisted way.

Wow, this is the first time I’ve found other people who even knew Enchantment, let alone liked it too!

Gregory Maguire has made a name for himself doing this.

The book Ella Enchanted (not the horrible horrible movie) seemed good when I was 10 or 12, not sure how it holds up now.

In Terry Pratchett’s Hogfather Susan (death’s granddaughter) finishes up a version of Jack and the beanstalk I loved and wanted to hear more of.

For comic fans: P. Craig Russell did some amazing versions of Oscar Wilde’s fairy tales. “The Selfish Giant” is extra charming, and I hate Jeebus stories.

I’ll add my voice to those who enjoyed Hoodwinked. I thought it got a bum rap. I think I even reviewed it here and said it was full of humor that Dopers would like.

Alan Moore’s Lost Girls is… distinctive and entertaining.

She definitely fucking was. And her collection of fairy tales is called The Bloody Chamber, I believe, which includes the short story **Company of Wolves ** which others have mentioned, though the story is little like the film.

McKinley’s Beauty is a favorite of mine. I’m generally fond of fairy tale remakes, so I’ve read a lot of these mentioned and enjoyed most of them.

That said, my all-time favorite is an old one – Eleanor Farjeon’s The Glass Slipper. Read it many times in childhood; and several times more once I grew up.

I was going to say “These two are my absolute favorite. Are you me? :D” Until I realized the McKinley I love is actually “Spindle’s End.”

I take it by now you’ve figured out, but it is a short story, not a comic. It’s in the collection Smoke and Mirrors. Check out Fragile Things, too - features a nice retelling of Beowulf (ground Gaiman’s trodden at least thrice)

Actually, before I found Smoke and Mirrors, I came across a stand-alone version of the book. Amazon had one used copy for ninety dollars! jaw hits the floor

It’s my intent to eventually get everything Gaiman has written, as he’s my favoite comics author. Thanks for the reccommendations!

TroubleAgain, I guess we must just be slightly twisted twins, huh?

I quite like Spindle’s End, though, and most of the rest of McKinley’s stuff I’ve read. But Beauty is my favorite for old times sake.

Have you read any of Farjeon’s other stuff? I love The Little Bookroom (short stories including some fairy tales, but no retold ones), but have never been able to track down a copy of The Silver Curlew (a retelling of Rumplestiltskin.

Terry Pratchett’s Witches Abroad retells several, primarily Cinderella and The Frog Prince, but with brief stops at Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, and The Wizard of Oz, among others, along the way.

I’d love to go to Genua for Fat Lunchtime.

Thanks for all the interesting responses.
I loved the movie “Ever After”. Best movie Cinderella, I think.

For the Neil Gaiman fans - he has a wonderful poem called “Instructions”, ;which is included in his collection “M is for Magic”. The poem is sort of all about fairy tales. Here’s a link:
http://www.endicott-studio.com/cofhs/cofinstr.html

If I can include a miniseries 10th Kingdom mushed together a bunch of fairy tale plots in a kind of interesting way.

And the musical Into the Woods would also be a good thing to check out, there’s even a proshot DVD available.

Kissing the Witch is a YA collection of retold fairy tales, told in interesting new ways.

Does anyone know any good ones for the Little Mermaid? It’s my favorite. (I’m not counting the Disney one…I prefer to pretend it doesn’t exist.)

I am currently reading The Serpent’s Shadow and loving it.

I know it’s bad form to bump one’s own thread, but I can’t believe I forgot to recommend Jane Yolen’s “Briar Rose”. Sleeping Beauty retold during the Holocaust sounds stupid, but it’s not; it is beautiful and powerfu.

I’ve never been able to lay hands on other Farjeon stuff, though I’d like to. And I haven’t ready Beauty, so maybe it’ll be my favorite, when I manage to read it. :smiley: Twisted twins indeed. :cool: