Favorite single comic issues?

It’s one of these four, but darned if I know which. Larry Hama rocked!

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/comics/73.html

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/comics/74.html

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/comics/75.html

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/comics/76.html

The Cobra civil war was a great storyline.
I second the Emperor Norton issue of Sandman. It was even better once I found out that Norton was a real guy.

The issue of Infinity Gauntlet where after Thanos has killed all the heroes… Captain America is the only one left. He steps toe to toe with essentially a god.

For the Man Who Has Everything, Superman Annual #11 (1985)

How about half an issue? Specifically, the second half of Amazing Spider-Man #248:

“The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man”

:slight_smile:

Planetary #3 “Dead Gunslingers”

Transmetropolitan #8 “Another Cold Morning”

**Swamp Thing #**escapesmymind, “The Curse” (wich narrowly beat out the conclusion to “Still Waters” and “The Anatomy Lesson” - so many amazing issues to choose from in Alan Moore’s run).

Green Lantern #109: Jade attacks Santa Claus, but for a good reason.

Plastic Man #8 (current series): A villian is screwing with continuity. Plas winds up with a son (with whom he plays mophing rock, paper, scissors at an inapprioate time). Wonder Woman becomes a maid for the JLA. Hal Jordan has a cameo as this JLA doesn’t allow Negroes (“That sounds like one of Ollie’s crazy ideas!”). This around the time of GL: Rebirth, so that’s an awesome looks like an error an first glance, but is really clever once you get the joke, err, thing.

Superman versus Muhammad Ali, by Dick Giordanio and Neal Adams. This was one of the first comics I bought on my own as a child. I don’t care that it was delayed so long that by the time it actually hit the newsstands, Ali was no longer heavyweight champion. Ali put the smackdown on Superman and saved the Earth from the Scrubb in an intergalactic boxing match, and had a surprise for Superman at the end. The story still holds up well as one of the seminal pre-Crisis Superman appearances of the seventies, the Neal Adams artwork utterly rocks, the wraparound cover of classic 70’s personalities including President Jimmy Carter sitting ringside is e’ffen awesome. I wish DC would re-release this story on better paper stock.

I can’t recall which issue it was… but the issue in Watchmen with the origin story of Rorshach is absolutely f***ing brilliant. Next on my list is the next issue, with Rorschach in prison and the other inmates trying to kill him.

“You don’t understand. I’m not in here with you. You’re in here with me.”

Rorschach: more batshit crazy than Batman!

Transmetropolitan #50.

“Listen to the Chair Leg of Truth!”

I’ve not read a lot of comics, but a memorable one was an issue of Teen Titans where the kids were at a farm trying to save the family from an infestation of demons. As it turns out, the baby involved was a demon changeling (the original kiddo had died earlier of a fever or some other ailment), and the grandfather had to kill it. (I think.)

It was fairly creepy.

That was about the only good issue after Keith did the 20year jump
Swamp Thing #50 this is the issue that Moore had been building up to since he introduced John Constantine. Pulling out a who’s who of DC mystics the join to fight something beyond discription.

Merable moment incude Dr. Fate and Dead Mang getting tumped by the uber badie and Swamp Thing finding some way to reasone with that thing.

Highlight was watching Spector get his ass handed to him

I can’t remember any of the issues I like, but I’m gonna do it anyways.

Right at the beginning of the Operation: Zero Tolerance story line, there was an issue of an X-Book that featured Marrow, Callisto, and Spider Man taking on the first of the Prime Sentinels. It was the typical “great power/responsibility” stuff really, but it had a great side story. Bastion shows up at the Daily Bugle and offers Jameson a disk with the real identities of mutants. Big giant scoop handed up on a silver platter. After a nifty little talk about responsibility, Jameson burns the disk with his cigar, tells Bastion where to stick it, and kicks the supreme prime sentinel out of his office.

Next is the issue of What if? where Spider Man keeps the symbiote costume. It was just an all around good issue. Peter finally loses the costume but it has cost him most of his life. He dies finding a way to defeat the symbiote. Good stuff.

The issue where Kitty Pryde takes Colossus’ ashes back to the farm in Russia is another goodie. It’s essentially written as a letter to Xavier explaining why she is leaving the X-Men and ends with Xavier erasing all files pertaining to her from all computers. It was such a good issue that I’m actually sorry that they brought Kitty and Colossus back to the X-Men.

The issue where Hal Jordan enters the power battery right before Kyle Rayner and Parralax. That whole issue was brilliant, and I’d never read an issue of G.L. The writing really brought home the feeling of a hero giving up on being a hero. Very powerful.

All this and no mention of Grant Morrison or Astro City?!?

OK, it can be kind of hard to pick a “single issue” for Grant Morrison, since he tends to do a lot of series with deep continuity (reading only one issue could lead to a tremendous amount of confusion), but if I had to pick, I would pick:

Animal Man #26 “Deus Ex Machina” Brilliant ending to a brilliant run on the series. Grant took a completely obscure character and acheived greatness. Kudos.

Doom Patrol #27 “The Painting That Ate Paris” Another excellent Grant Morrison tale. Pick up his entire run on this series if you appreciate delightfully weird comics.

Astro City #1 “In Dreams” Amazing. Simply a great synthesis of story and art. Beautiful look at an average day in the life of a superhero.

GL #51(2?) second series. I definately teared up when (spoilered for those who may not have read it):

Hal bbq’d Kilowog and killed Tomar Re’s son/cousin (?). In Emerald Dawn Tomar was the second GL Hal met, the first being Abin Sur, and Kilowog was his drill instructor.

I almost mentioned that one, but I think one of the parts I’m thinking of happened one issue earlier.

On the other side is Final Night #4. “Beware my power, in a different light!.” : shiver : : tear :

Avengers Annual #7

Adam Warlock goes up against Thanos. Warlock knows that he must fight Thanos, and that he can’t possibly win. Thanos, a god in his own right, power mad and in love with Death as a maiden, wants to give her the extinguished Universe as a love offering.

Heavy stuff, tragic in the Greek sense, or so it seemed to my teenaged mind.

I assume this is old enough that you wouldn’t have to box a spoiler if I asked… What was the surprise? (Was it hostess fruit pies? I remember them pretty much solving everything about the time that comic came out…)

In Dan Slott and Ty Templeton’s recent Spider-Man/Human Torch miniseries (set in modern continuity), they foiled the villain using Hostess Fruit Pies!

Timidly raises my hand.

This is a hijack, please don’t hit me!

I don’t follow comics, but you people seem to know them all! I have a question about a graphic novel lent to me by a former coworker. I’d like to find it again, but can’t remember the title, and I thought you folks sound like you could help.

In this story there has been some kind of meteor that landed, and the “radiation” or something caused mutations in about two hundred children that had been in utero nearby. Their mutations are all different, but many are found and sent to a special school. The story that touched me most was about a young woman who had been the only one to show no overt changes. She didn’t mind, as she didn’t have the problems the rest of them had. But then she sees a cat that has been struck and killed by a vehicle, and after checking it out walks away thinking “poor kitty”, never to know that the cat gets up and walks away, wondering what had happened.

There are other stories about individuals affected, some are really sad, some not. Does any of what I have written ring a bell?

That is the first Rising Stars trade paperback, “Born In Fire,” written by J. Michael Straczynski. And it’s a good one!

JMS wrote it? No wonder I liked it, not even being acquainted with the genre of graphic novels. Thanks a lot, BBVL, now I can go look for it.