Feeding a stray cat

Is one of its ears cropped? Vets do that after neutering tomcats, at least around here.

They crop both sexes over here.

buddha_david, Beware. If you name this cat, it WILL be yours. You have been warned. (Plus also, good onya!)

I’m really really hoping he names the cat :smiley:

How is the cat buddha_david, has it been around recently?

Do vets really do that? In any case, I haven’t noticed.

Ran out of chicken, so I bought some cheap generic dry food and left a bowl outside, along with some water. Most of the food was eaten by this morning, though I haven’t seen the cat today at all. I’m starting to think that the cat was drinking water from the A/C runoff, since that’s where I’d usually see it in the morning. :eek:

Still working on a name – I’ve considered “Brian” (as in Brian Setzer…get it?) but that would be embarrassing if the cat turns out to be female, as well as attracting too many Monty Python jokes. :smiley:

You don’t have to name it, you’ve fed it, that’s good enough. That’s how we got Squatter. We didn’t want another cat; we’ve been feeding her almost a year now. We had 3 of those big coolers so she got one to sleep in last winter- put it against the house, it’s insulated, she’ll warm it herself!

The local humane society here has a program for spay and neutering feral cats - you catch them, bring them in, promise to provide food/water/shelter they’ll do it for free. We didn’t take her to be fixed because she’s not ours, and we don’t want her. :o As soon as she quits nursing, Squatter and the kittens are all going in! :smack:

buddha_david, I think Brian, as in Setzer :cool:, will be a fab name for the cat. If Brian turns out to be a girl then she become Brianna. Glad Brian/Brianna has been around and eating their food.

You’re doing a great thing by trying to help! :slight_smile: I’m going to keep watching this thread, how exciting! I caught a stray cat last November and he’s the best cat I’ve ever had, so you may just end up with the same sort of thing!

If it’s female you could always change the name to Wife of Brian :slight_smile: ETA: Or Wife of Bwian.

:p:p

Brian showed up this evening, first time I’ve ever seen him in the PM hours. I left out some more food but he hasn’t touched it yet – right now he’s perched on an unreachable part of the fence, obviously waiting for me to go to sleep before he eats it (or breaks in and murders me in my sleep…you can never tell with cats, you know?)

Oh, one thing I completely forgot to ask (though it’s obviously a moot point now): Is it dangerous to refeed starving animals, the way it is for people? Brian certainly hasn’t shown any ill effects from all that leftover chicken, in fact he’s looking quite perky and content these last couple of days.

Uh-oh, things are getting complicated.

Heard some yowling outside, and looked out to find Brian standing off against another gray striped tabby, in fact both cats look exactly the same. I took the food back inside, which I’ll probably leave out again later tonight, but I’m not sure what to do now – feeding one cat is fine, but I’m not about to run a soup kitchen here. :smack:

Not a bad way to get rid of a few extra cats, though.

Ow! Hey! Stop it! What’d I say?!

Well, not to pets, usually, but to strays that have been captured for TNR. It’s so that if the cat gets captured again, they’ll know to let it go because it’s already been fixed.
(Although for some reason they clipped my above-mentioned former feral, even though they knew we were planning to tame him. Can’t figure out why).