Female urination devices (FUD) for travel

Have you considered external, or more problematic, internal female catheters?

I would not recommend either for the situation you describe, due to the possibility of bladder infections.

Hell, I would ask for something other than a diuretic for the trip. [I can’t use diuretics for other reasons and take a selection of the other types of BP control meds. I can go for almost all day without needing to pee.]

Although I will comment that women in that type of macho culture are accustomed to wearing long skirts and nipping off into the shrubs to pee by themselves. Hell, in some cultures the women simply squat by the side of the road and just sort of shift their skirts.

Only while it’s in the body, and then only in theory. Urine makes an awesome bacterial growth medium once it’s out in the air, so yeah, I’d clean those well whenever possible.

I am not able to use ACE inhibitors. They kick up a terrible hacking cough instantly. Again, I’m not looking for ideas about other things to do. I’m looking for comments from people who have tried FUDs.

From the aviation department:

Hope this works

No experience, but they are carried by many Pilot Supply stores, so they can’t be entirely useless.

If link doesn’t work, “Little John” and “Lady J Adapter”

Link gets you to the urinal - click “Accessories” for the Lady J

I have tried this sort of thing (can’t remember the brand) and it was, just for once, really FUN! I got to pee standing up like a dude! I peed against a tree! Tehehe :smiley:

But honestly, I find squatting a lot easier. Like sven, I wear skirts and that makes squatting easier. It’s a lot easier to do outside with no loo, I understand your description of your legs touching the bowl etc. Perhaps the gogirl is better for you.

I would travel with disinfectant wipes to clean the gogirl. Although it’s true that urine is sterile when it comes out, icky bacteria start growing as soon as the pee leaves your body. Plus: ew.

What’s wrong with squatting?

• if it’s cold out I want to minimize how much tender flesh I expose
  • if there are biting insects out I want to minimize how much tender flesh I expose
  • my knees are getting older and squatting can be physically painful

I’ve worked on construction sites, too, and lack of toilets is an issue. It’s a lot easier to be discreet about what you’re doing if you don’t need to squat and expose your ass. Being able to piss into a cup or bottle without aiming problems allows you to have more control over where the piss ends up (sometimes, you want to be able to pour it down a sewer grate or hole instead of just pissing randomly on the ground). This is also why these sorts of things get used by pilots - I mean, good luck squatting inside a cockpit.

A FUD isn’t the only solution, but neither is squatting. I’m all for having multiple options.

Susan - the design of the ShePee makes it easy to use, it’s quite a robust little thing and didn’t make me think that it would break or collapse too easily. Also, it fitted well and felt relatively comfortable, it only took a couple of practice tries to know how best to position it for use.

As far as cleanliness goes, you can rinse it if you are able to find a suitable water supply otherwise I’ve used anti-bacterial cleansing wipes and felt that it was perfectly adequate.

I’ve found the GoGirl very easy to use as long as you are wearing loose fitting pants/shorts that allow you to position the end of the spout lower than the cup part.

What a clever way to identify female members. <shifty>