Fermi's Paradox and Time Travel.

That’s it. You’re being written up for deliberately immanentizing the eschaton. You’ll be lucky if they allow you anywhen downline of the Permian for the next few cycles.

This board is teh awesome. sniff

Meh. I’ll deal. I remanticipate that as one of the most fun extinction events I’ll have ever will been involved in starting… :cool:

Where’s John Titor when you need him?

Thank you Dr. Streetmentioner.

The clam bakes alone will not have been believable if we hadn’t been then for at least five iterations.

Conceded. But at least you can’t deny me the engrams I’ve already internalized. :stuck_out_tongue:

“there was a young lady named Bright
Who Travelled much faster than light
She set out one day, in a relative way…
and returned home the previous night”
This poem summarizes the absurdity of time travel.
Results CANNOT precede actions-time travel means that causality is violated.
Time flows in only one direction, and cannot be made to reverse.

[Scotty] I can’t change the laws of poetry. [/Scotty]

If you travel to the future at a pace faster than it is being created, you might want to hold your breath…because you will be the only matter there.

John, I hope you don’t mind but I’m going to shamelessly steal your link and post it in IMHO. cuz’ I want to talk about this and not derail this thread.

Linky

It can’t be a cellphone, of course. The technology to support it just isn’t there in 1920.
I think it’s just a communication device to talk to the director, like a walkie-talkie or something.
Just sayin’.

Previous linky on same subject.

Anywhen:p I think I have a new favourite word:D

I’m sure others have pointed out that time travel may have a starting point in a future time t + A where t is now and A is some future time.

So time tourists can go from t + A + T to any time B >= t + A

But time flexibility may be observational and not physical. Meaning, no physical body can go in the past or in the future in time, but that a human, or an object, can observe the past and/or the future.

Exactly. Time travel is trivially easy and there are hundreds of different ways to travel back in time. But there exists the remote trillion-to-one possibility that none of these methods were discovered.

Everytime anyone travels back in time, they change history. What with time travel being so easy, history is constantly being changed all the time. It gets changed millions of times - billions of time - trillions of times.

Then at some point, history chances upon the remote possibility that time travel was never discovered. And that’s when it all stops and no further changes occur.

Another possibility is that something like Cantor’s Diagonal applies to alternate timelines: there are infinitely more timelines where time travel does not take place then timelines where it does. So even if time travel is possible, the chances of observing it happening approach zero.

• pulls out my “Don’t Let Them Immanetize the Eschaton” button from the Our People’s Underworld issue of National Review from 1967 or so. *

The leading three theories are:

1. Branching universe - time travel just brings you to a different part of the multiverse
  2. Range problem - there are several theoretical models of time travel that only work as far into the past as the time travel was created (since it’s like a door or tunnel).
  3. Time cops - time travelers are carefully regulated.

Another possibility is a time barrier. A natural or artificial point in time that can’t be traveled through, though travel on either side is possible. Pass that and suddenly all the tourists show up.