Fiction authors who are also lyricists

Jimmy Buffett. His books have topped the NYTimes bestseller list several times. Where Is Joe Merchant? being the biggest seller, IIRC. It outsold Tales From Margaritaville, in any case. He has also written several best-selling children’s books with his daughter.

Leonard Cohen is best known as a singer-songwriter and poet, but he did write two novels in the 1960s (The Favorite Game and Beautiful Losers) before he decided to seriously pursue a career in music. I’ve never read either, but I believe Beautiful Losers is pretty well-regarded.

Yeah, but we try and ignore that album. :stuck_out_tongue: Better off listening to The Curse Of The Hidden Mirror, which Shirley also contributed to.

ETA: Why are people bringing up fiction written by musicians? Did someone switch the OP or something to be 180º of what it started out as?

The OP was non-specific. “Who else writes both lyrics and fiction?” was the question. Besides, what did Shel write first, lyrics or fiction? (Cartoons, of course. But what next?)

Well, the OP itself gave John Lennon as an example.

I was going to post this one (and tried to do so from my phone, but failed.) His books are actually pretty famous —I’m not so fond of Beautiful Losers (although I’ve never finished it —I think I’ll try again this Christmas, and maybe I’ll like it this time), but The Favourite Game is simply stunning.

Earlier this year I saw this story about how Stephen King has sort of co-written this song.

I think anyone who’s read The Stand would deny the claim that King is in any way a lyricist…

And also to Thudlow: :smack:

I guess that’ll teach me to re-read the OP instead of just going by the thread title (that I can see even after I scroll down the page).

Carry on, folks. Nothing to see here.

You probably haven’t heard of him, but Israeli journalist Yair Lapid has published 10 books (7 of them fiction), and written lyrics for several hit rock and pop songs. He’s also a newscaster, columnist, talk show host, screenwriter, playwright, occasional actor and amateur boxer. Rumor is that he’s considering entering politics.

Fantasy author Steven Brust is also a drummer, and writes music and lyrics. He’s released an album of his stuff, “A Rose for Iconoclastes”, and Boiled in Lead wrote an album around/with his novel “The Gypsy” (with Megan Lindholm).

Mystery author Andrew Vachss has written or co-written lyrics for several legendary blues performers.

That is very interesting, I think that I’ll have a listen to BOC and MM and the BF when I get an opportunity.

I’m partial to this version of Veteran of the Psychic Wars, which was featured on the Extraterrestrial Live album. It has a slightly different sound, and the guitar solo is perfect.

Michael Moorcock also wrote The Great Sun Jester, based on his novel The Fireclown. The Mirrors album is unpopular with some (and referred to as Errors), but the song is worth a listen.