Fictional references that became true

Not to be snarky, but “cite”? It was after someone raised this issue that i realized that the only times I’d seen “waldoes” used was in the works of science fiction writers.

Well, THAT’ is an excellent username/post combo!

So in other words… Where’s Waldo?

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Also Seinfeld related: John O’Hurley (the chap who plays Elaine’s boss, Mr. Peterman, in the show) is a major investor and part owner of the real-life J. Peterman Company, which relaunched in 2001.

The Simpsons had an episode where Barney ran over a pile of rags, thinking it was Princess Diana.

After Flip Wilson created a character named Reverend Leroy of The Church of What’s Happening Now for his TV variety show, a charlatan preacher in Ohio named Leroy Jenkins did you-know-what.

My post is my cite.

Exactly.

It takes 69 posts to mention Stephen King’s Misery?

It’s one thing to write things that come true. It’s quite another to pre-write your autobiography.

No, that was Toto’s drummer, Jeff Porcaro.

The reference to cows earlier in the thread reminded me of “there is no cow level” in Diablo I and the Secret Cow Level in Diablo II, but I don’t think that really counts.

Nestle came out with a line of Wonka candies in the 70s. I think they were just capitalizing on the success of the Gene Wilder movie.

In San Francisco there is a Hotel California on Geary Street. It looks like there’s another one in Santa Monica. Not sure if either is related to the song.

Kansas, Toto. I was close!

Not even close. “Toto, I have the feeling we’re NOT in Kansas anymore.”

When did Stephen King get kidnapped by an obsessive fan?

Kickapoo Joy Juice, originally a joke in Al Capp’s Li’l Abner comic strip, now a soft drink produced by the Monarch Beverage Company in Atlanta.

It’s quite good too.

Lester del Rey wrote a novel Rocket Jockey in 1953 and used the name Armstrong for a character who was the first man on the moon.

In movie special effects, when they have a gimbal, the controls are usually a smaller version of the gimbal they can manipulate. They call those a “Waldo”.

I just found one today. I was reading Walter James Miller’s Afterword to Mendor Brunetti’s translation of 20,000 Leaugues Under the Sea and found this:

This is more impressive than most in this thread because Lake was actually employing an extrapolation from science fiction, and one that may have saved his life. He wasn’t simply naming something after the creation in a book.

Reading Das Boot right now, and they had a doozy of a storm (one full month long)-they often dived to get away from the tempest above-but the boat would still move around a bit even at 150 feet.