FIFA Officials Arrested On Corruption Charges

I’m a little surprised that this is a US prosecution. I don’t see any indication that any of these crimes occurred in the US.

If their bid was successful because of fraud, that’s kind of their problem.

Doubtful. I don’t think that Russia or Qatar World Cups will be affected. There may be massive pressure on a re-vote for 2022, but I think that FIFA will want to keep that place, even if Blatter gets convicted and we have a non-corrupt head (a pipe dream, but maybe a closer reality).

Also the world of soccer has never loved the United States more than it does now ;).

Here’s some detail:

The fun part of wire fraud… at some point it crosses over electronic systems in the US.

Watching this press conference in the US I feel like hugging the nearest American for their country being the one to finally do something about FIFA.

You go, Loretta Lynch, and the Sweden Authorities. Somebody found some balls…

Swiss, sorry.

As are small Picassos

FIFA claims it’s the damaged party. :smiley:

That last bit does seem less likely now than it did yesterday.

What do all the big football countries even need with FIFA anyway? Can’t they just go ahead with their own tournament if they want?

From the DOJ/FBI press conference: “Lynch says $110m in bribes related to next year’s Copa América Centenario in the United States alone.” (via Guardian live blog)

From CNN:

The Swiss have their own parallel investigation going, as well.

Thanks.

I doubt if he orchestrated it, but he’d certainly distanced himself from CONCACAF. He’s a wily old operator, think of Blatter and Platini as Burns and Smithers…

That’s idea gets thrown around now and again and all I can really think to say is that control permeates through every level of football.

Take England as an example, the (English) Football Association is the governing association and the main competition in England, the FA Cup, involves every single level of football in England, from Sunday leagues up to the Premier League. But the FA is a member of UEFA and UEFA is a member of FIFA.

So if England were to go with their separate competition pretty much the entire FA would have to leave UEFA or elements would be banned, which would affect things like the Champions League. Or UEFA as a whole would have to leave - and that isn’t just the “big” countries.

Basically it isn’t that simple.

Mountain goats don’t jump off cliffs. :wink:

The Russia WC will only go for political reasons, not for corruption allegations or even proof of the same. Ditto Qatar, whose owners (yes owners, not rulers) have put in a ton of money into the game, they sponsor Barcelona for instance. Also I doubt that you will find anything illegal in the dealings, bid committees can and do hire top lawyers, accountants and managers to ensure that everything remains technically legal.

Well, they still have to do their penance for Salt Lake City.:smiley:

The US Justice Departments press release.

Loretta Lynch was responsible for this?

The sound you just heard was everyone at Fox News going into panic mode trying to figure out how to paint the Democrats as bad for attacking soccer.

If Blatter or one of his loyalists can hold onto power after this, it will pretty much kill any chance of the US hosting the WC in 2026. I would imagine any American bid would be dismissed out of hand.

:rolleyes:
Given that she probably hasn’t finished unpacking her office yet, I think you’ll need to look far & wide to find anyone who thinks Lynch did anything except make an announcement.

True so FOX can’t really blame her but that doesn’t really slow them down trying to tie it to others.