FIFA World Cup 2026 - discussion etc

I remember João de Havelange, FIFA president from 1974 until 1998. Imagine how corrupt he was that he also was member of the IOC from 1963 to 2011! In July 2012, a Swiss prosecutor’s report revealed that, during his tenure on FIFA’s Executive Committee, he and his son-in-law Ricardo Teixeira took more than 41 million Swiss francs (£21m) in bribes in connection with the award of World Cup marketing rights. (Cite in the wikilink provided) He lived to over 100 years old.
Sepp Blatter was his successor. He was way more corrupt than him. He is currently 90 years old. And not in jail, believe it or not.
Now we have Mafiantino. No link necessary. He is the corruptest of the lot.
It reminds me of the British Tory Prime Minister series since Cameron. Every one is worse than the previous one. David Cameron. Theresa May. Boris Johnson. Liz Truss. Rishi Sunak. What a progression! I’ll ignore the current one and the one before him, I have forgotten their names. I think they claim to be Labour anyway, that’s completely different </s> Mafiantino, it has to be admitted, had the help of Russia’s, Catar’s, and Saudi Arabia’s ruling caste and of President Ineptstein of the USA, that gave him some advantage in his corruption raking. One could argue that he should have been disqualified for corruption’s equivalent of doping.
The big difference between British Prime Ministers and FIFA presidents is that FIFA presidents last a very long time, not like lettuce. I am not convinced that Mafiantino has met his match yet. I would not mind a pleasant surprise, but I’ll wait with the cooling of the champagne until it is deserved.

David Squires, as always, puts it better and funnier than me:

Make
Association
Football
Infantino’s
Again

Brilliant!

To be clear: that is David Squires’ idea, I just copied it. For my part I will still call him Mafiantino. Similar, but not the same.

I got that, I read the cartoon, and it’s great.

Hearing murmurings if Infantino goes, he might get replaced by a Canuck!

(Victor Montagliani, 60-year-old Vancouver native and current CONCACAF President)

Reading claims that Mafinatino is not going to go without a fight and a cheat:

The Jordan Football Association president, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, has accused Gianni Infantino’s administration of “blackmail”, claiming that Fifa threatened to withhold financial assistance from his federation if it refused to back the president’s bid for re-election.

Blackmail? It’s just an offer you can’t refuse! What’s a little arm twisting among friends?

Looks like no more money to Canada. Carney gives Infantino a thumbs down.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/carney-fifa-president-9.7297433

Wondering how much Carney had Montagliani (mentioned above) in mind when saying that - I’m trusting that Infantino’s track record was first and foremost in Carney’s mind.
Hoping more countries start piping up.

UEFA still boycotting, even after Infantino’s nefarious scheme was scrapped, they want “reassurances that it will not happen again”.

I want to say that Infantino is done but I wouldn’t stick a fork on him yet.

If Infantino isn’t done and UEFA sticks to their guns, then FIFA is dead. The World Cup is worth half (or less) of its current value without the UEFA teams. Which means FIFA can’t show the small associations the money they’re already used to, let alone added money. UEFA is the tail that can wag the dog monetarily. Not to mention, good luck finding hosts for 2030.

That would interfere with FIFA primary purpose (the obtention of money) and result on Infantino’s prompt ejection.

Three Argentine players sanctioned for post World Cup Championship brawl:

Argentina given huge punishment for ugly World Cup final scenes with three players banned

Luis Paredes was given a ten-game suspension, Nahuel Molina seven games, and Thiago Almada one game. The AFA was also fined for a political display after the ARG - ENG semi final.

Paredes should have been red-carded even mid-game.

That is harsh, but appropiate.

What would Argentina’s next ten games be? I assume friendlies don’t count, so there’s the Copa America and then the first part of 2030 World Cup qualifying?

Certainly more than I expected.

I’ve never seen friendlies not count, unfortunately. Look for Argentina to schedule a lot of them!

FIFA has stated that only official matches count.

I mean, official matches would include friendly matches scheduled during the open international windows…I’ll bet they could fit at least two into each window.

They won’t have WC qualifying at all, right? I thought they qualified automatically as one of the 6 hosts?