Fill me in on Mrs Butterworths syrup

1980: In 40 years we’ll have colonized the moon, and we’ll all be piloting flying cars.

2020: This syrup is racist.

I agree that Amos is different from Jemima because he was/is a real person. But Jemima and Crocker seem the same to me, both fictitious, one a friendly person who nourishes people, sets a good table, the other the neighborhood lady who is a great cook. Only real difference is one is black, one is white.

It looks like Cleveland will lose their Indians, keeping up with the times. Los Angeles might reconsider their Dodgers as well, most of them were immigrants living in Brooklyn. Can’t be too careful.

A little more than that. Jemima was a blackface character, not just an ordinary black woman. The origin is mixed up with racist imagery, even if that part has, over the years, been set aside. The character was cleansed, but the origin still exists. Were it up to me, I’d forgive and forget, and keep Jemima as a “mascot,” same as Betty. But it matters to a lot of people, and it doesn’t really matter one hang in hell to me, so let her go.

My grandmother had golliwog dolls, too. It was a different century.

… and that one is based on a racist caricature. Did you somehow miss that part of my post?

Powers &8^]

The last remaining “Sambo’s” is changing their name. California restaurant agrees to a name change amid national unrest | CNN

Sorry, even as a child in the '60’s my sisters and I saw Aunt Jemima as a household servant and a somewhat demeaning racial depiction. Our family would occasionally eat at the Aunt Jemima’s Kitchen restaurant and we’d ask our parents about it, and why the company used that image. If it bothers people, it really doesn’t matter whether you can see it or not. But you could at least try. Honestly, if a 10-year-old could spot it 50 years ago, I’m confident you can, too.

Didn’t miss it. Two caricatures, one white and one black. I don’t think that’s a problem but obviously you do.

It’s not “one white and one black”; it’s “one racist and one not”. Are you intentionally refusing to understand that point? Why are you so resistant to the idea of racist caricature?

He’s being deliberately obtuse. Don’t waste your time.

It puzzles me why anyone uninterested in honest discussion would come to this forum, in particular, and proceed to be deliberately obtuse.

Powers &8^]

Between her commercial voice and the “Mrs Butterworth” name, I always thought of her as some British housekeeper/nanny type figure. [Edit: not to imply she had a British accent, rather she sounded stereotypically white to me]

That said, I don’t care if they change her depiction or name or whatever. Life’s too short to get mad over companies modifying their advertising campaigns or pretending that it affects my “culture”.

I always thought of her as Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith Show.

Could be worse…my association is Mrs. Butterworth from The Prisoner, polite and British, and nasty and devious and manipulative and sly. But cooks like an angel!

I always thought Mrs Butterworth was Caucasian, and have never heard of this Butterfly McQueen story. Even in her older days, Ms McQueen was not rubenesque like the bottle portrays.

Another correction: In “Gone with the Wind”, the character of Prissy was NOT a young mother. She has no children, but does serve as nurse to Scarlett’s children.

Nurse, yes. But she don’t know nothing about birthin babies.

I never used that brand of syrup, but being voiced by a white woman means nothing. Amos and Andy on the radio were voiced by white actors. They couldn’t get away with doing that for a TV show.
Just consider the current effort to cast Black voice actors in Black roles. That wasn’t done in the past.

Reviewing some comments from upthread…

[quote=“John_DiFool, post:5, topic:855892, full:true”]
I would have sworn that, when an ad series animated her many moons ago, that she spoke in a stereotypical NE US Causcasian accent.[/quote]

So a white woman shouldn’t provide the voice of a character whom a lot of us thought was white and whose race has apparently not been proven to be otherwise?

Let me help you out: