Films that exceeded your expectations

I might say it was my favourite, but I expected to love it considering I am both a Harmony Korine AND Disney/ABCFamily Channel fan…

The East, also from this year, was the one that exceeded my expectation though. It is definitely in my tops of the list for the year, and ignited my interest in the amazing Brit Marling. Also, living in New Orleans, I sometimes end up at the same kinds of functions as the types of freegan-anarchists that were the subject of the movie (not eco-terrorists, but everything else was spot on).

Twenty some years ago, I went to see LAST OF THE MOHICANS with a friend simply because she wanted to leer at Daniel Day Lewis; I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Ironically, she hated it. I had a similar experience with DEATH BECOMES HER. And, now that I think of it, I’d never have gone to see FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING on opening night if I hadn’t been dragged.

Big Trouble in Little China. I thought it was going to be a stupid kung-fu movie.

Moulin Rouge. A ‘period piece’ set to modern music? Yeah.

Gone With the Wind. I knew it was a ‘classic’, so my expectations were pretty high, and I was pretty certain I was going to be disappointed. I wasn’t.

*Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. * Total schlock, but worth every penny of the $3.99 rental charge. Loved the girl who played Gretel, and enjoyed the story.

Trouble with the Curve. Caught it on HBO recently. Was expecting a baseball movie. Didn’t get one. Baseball was just a thread to tie things together. Possibly the best acting I’ve ever seen from Eastwood.

My girlfriend (now wife) was in the video store around 1989, 1990, and she chose the stupid baby movie. I said something along the lines of “Dammit, you convinced me to see Look Who’s Talking in the theater and now you want to watch another damn film with another baby?”

But I was wise in the ways of nooky, though while I protested, we still got the damned baby movie.

Last night, my daughter asked me “Daddy, when was the time you laughed the hardest?” Mom and I looked at each other and, in unison, said “Raising Arizona!”

I was so destroyed by that movie that when the opening credits came on, I started laughing at them, for the sheer audacity of putting the credits (seemingly) 10-20 minutes into the film.

I saw this in a hotel when I was traveling a few weeks ago. Not sure about it being his best, but he has become a better actor with age. He used to be a movie star, but he has become a pretty good actor.

“Nathan needs some Huggies.”

I was young when Raising Arizona came out on VHS sometime in 90s; I had no idea what I was watching and hated the movie and mostly forgot about it. After Hudsucker, Fargo, and Lebowski I became a Coen worshiper. I went back and watched every movie they ever made. When I discovered that Raising Arizona was one of theirs I was shocked.

Teenage me had missed everything. It is definitely one of their funniest movies (and they have made several). It’s also one of Nic Cage’s most memorable roles. You can’t help but root for him even though he’s a kidnapper and an idiot. He’s just such a sweetheart you wish him well.

That is a phenomenal little movie, isn’t it? Really enjoyable. Ranks right up there with Shawn of the Dead.

I also agree with Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Awesome little flick that doesn’t get near the love it should.

Rocky Balboa, aka Rocky VI. Okay, old man takes on a boxing champ in his prime? Adrian took a pass on it? Yep, even she knows this movie is gonna suck. Turned out I enjoyed it, especially all the shout-outs to the original movie. Unlike the other sequels, the movie wasn’t merely a 2-hour set-up to the final fight. And darned if they didn’t make that fight look believable.

Lethal Weapon 4. Fine, a by-the-numbers action movie sequel. Girlfriend likes Mel Gibson, so I guess we’ll see it. Movie starts, gun fights, lame cop-buddy jokes, and then Holy crap! Who’s that awesome Chinese fighter? Started a fandom where I started collecting Jet Li’s HK movies.

Despicable Me. Watched it on On Demand long after it was in theaters just because we wanted something vaguely interesting to watch for a Sunday evening. Loved it.

Kung Fu Panda. I didn’t want to like it because I don’t like Jack Black, but it won me over. Very cute, fun movie.

How to Train Your Dragon. Hmm…I sense a theme here. But yeah, didn’t have high expectations, ended up thinking it was sweet and cute and really good.

For non-animated movies, don’t judge, but I loved the fluff Disney teen flick Lemonade Mouth. I had it on in Netflix as mindless background noise for WoW leveling and ended up turning off the game and watching the movie.

Wow! I was going to mention both of those also.

Also Private Parts and the Wedding Singer.

Ravenous really surprised me, given that I’m not a horror fan at all, and cannibals/Donner Pass just sounded like it had so much schlock potential. My husband had to bribe me to watch it. Loved it, bought it, and frequently loan it out.

In The Loop was another one as I generally avoid political movies, but it was wonderful, hilarious and appalling all at the same time, with an amazing cast.

Also worth mentioning since some people might want to check out some of James Gandolfini’s post-Soprano’s work.

it’s been years since i’ve seen it, but i remember being surprised by how much i liked the movie Diggstown with James Woods.

Pan’s Labyrinth. A movie about a girl and her fairy friends? Turned out to be a very compelling story with impressive special effects.

I jsut saw 21 Jump Street, the remake with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. I thought it was hilarious - way better than it had any right to be. They had some fun turning cliches on their heads. Spoilers to follow: Loved the trucks that didn’t explode when they were expected to. Also I loved how Jonah Hill was the cool kid and Channing Tatum was the nerd. And how good students were cool now. An early scene where Channing Tatum couldn’t figure out the clicks and wound up punching that kid and got ostracized for making a “gay” joke was hysterical. Also, the best cameo I’ve seen since Wolverine showed up in X-Men: First Class.

I agree. I would also add Trollhunter to the list.

Rushmore. Didn’t have any expectations, really. I was so struck by it that I watched it again immediately.