Finally bought a kayak...what else do I need?

Groan!

Definitely the wetsuit, it’ll extend your season and increase your safety margin.

A problem with cold-water kayaking is that to be safe, you have to dress warm enough to be in the water, even though you generally won’t be in the water.

I particularly like wetsuits with “smoothie” panels, which protect from wind chill. The “smoothie” is porous next to your skin but nonporous on the outside. The extreme of this is called a “steamer”, which you let some water in to begin with and your body heats it up and you can go in and out of the water many times without losing much heat. Great for windsurfing, probably overkill for kayaking except in cold weather.

Find a good place to learn and practice Eskimo rolls. The hardest part of this is being strapped in, upside down, under water, and OK with that. But when you need one in a hurry, it’s a REALLY nifty thing to be able to do.

Don’t discount the fun of a little white water. I’ve never whitewater river kayaked, I’ve only been terrified by what I’ve seen kayakers do when I’ve been whitewater rafting. But I have taken touring kayaks in the Great Lakes and at the coast in North Carolina. When the waves are right (2 to 4 feet and not too gnarly) it’s terrific fun to surf them, and surprisingly easy. You don’t go perpendicular to the wave, the way you’d expect, but put the craft parallel to it. As soon as the wave starts pushing you (sideways), do a high brace, putting the paddle blade on top of the wave, and lean into the wave. The paddle will sit on the top of the wave like it’s a rock, and this is a very easy position to hold as you go screaming toward the shore. Screaming like a little girl, if you’re anything like me.

The fun part is the little surprise when the wave finally slips beneath you. That high brace paddle blade is no longer sitting on a rock, and sinks in, and you roll over. (This is a great time to have your Eskimo Roll mastered, but if not, just pop out and stand up, grab an end handle, and wade to shore with the craft between you and the shore.) The SECOND time, you’ll have learned to rebalance and relinquish the high brace just before the wave slips under. :slight_smile:

Sea kayaks (aka touring kayaks) are great in shore break, when it’s not too big. The first time I tried it, I was really impressed as I watched the bow of the boat pierce the wave and slip right through it as though it wasn’t even there! Unfortunately, not so my chest. WHACK. So, the second time, I made a point of leaning forward to break the wave with my thick skull. :slight_smile:

Have fun, and good luck!

Oh, kayakers always have whistles. I guess it’s safety gear, but I’ve never had reason to use one. They don’t work well when upside down under water, for example.

Important note: be sure NEVER to carelessly tuck the skirt strap/handle under the skirt. When upside down, under water, and not OK with it, it is rather reassuring to reach forward and actually find that strap, to pull the skirt off and exit the boat. As a thick-skulled individual, I make a habit of always grabbing that handle to reassure myself, before picking up the paddle. So far, that’s worked.

BTW, it sounds like you got the wrong kind of kayak. 10’ sounds short to me, for a touring kayak, and unless you’re going to be white-water paddling, a touring one is what you’ll want.

White water kayaks are shorter, wider, and turn faster. Touring kayaks are longer, narrower, and much easier to keep going straight. The former take LOTS more energy to get from point A to point B than the latter, but they’re the ones you want whenever you hit the rapids. Plus, it doesn’t take much energy to go downhill.

A high brace is when both hands are near your shoulders (though one is usually a bit lower). A low brace is when both hands are near your hips (again, one usually lower). Low brace is quicker, high brace is stronger.

In either case, you generally whack the water with the blade, to restore your balance. But when you’re moving (surfing), it really is like putting the blade on a rock.

I stand corrected.

Last summer was my first with my new kayak, and it was a learning experience. I have one of the sit on top ones, and like you only take it on meandering river floats and out to the lake.

Practice getting in and out by yourself.

Someone has already mentioned it, but you’ll need a dry bag. Even if you have a ‘dry’ compartment built in, I’d still use the dry bag. And if you’re taking any electronics, use a dry case inside the dry bag. Water is sneaky.

Shore looks closer than it actually is. Watch out for windy days on the river or lake, as paddling against the wind sucks.

Dogs on kayaks are not a good idea. Trust me.

Take munchies and lots of water. Water that’s easily accessible while on the water.

Sunscreen and a boonie cap.

Consider getting an assistant to take the kayak out on the water for you.

It was a little more complicated than that. Let’s just say it was the least bad option of extremely bad options at the time.

Sorry, didn’t make myself clear. That’s my advice to anyone who obtains a kayak. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wetsuits are good - drysuits are great! Waterproof, breathable, comfortable. Dress as warm or as cool as you’d like. I’ve paddled in sub-freezing temperatures, with water temps not much warmer, and have been as snug as a bug in a rug.

I cannot speak highly enough of whitewater paddling. Take a class and don’t look back.

Band Name!

Well, I picked up my kayak this evening. The manager said it must be a great deal because he’s had seven or eight delivered this month. Glad to know I’m not the only one ordering a kayak online in January.

Now…if only summer would get here so I could go out…

Sorry, Chilliwack, water water paddling sounds like torture to me. I’m not a thrill seeker and the idea of being in water moving that rapidly to flip me over, drown me, or break my bones…um, no. At 47, I’d suspect my bones wouldn’t heal as fast. I know my courage would heal less so.

And on edit…I cannot imagine myself squeezing into a wet or dry suit. Sometime regular clothes are challenging enough.