Find out how fast you read

581 words per minute. 132% faster than the national average. Apparently I can read War and Peace in 16 hours. I don’t think I’ll be trying that.

Moved Cafe Society --> MPSIMS.

You read 529 words per minute.
That makes you 112% faster than the national average

Not too bad, I guess.

682 words per minute, 173% faster. I’m sure I actually read faster than that when reading a novel - I don’t normally read every word like that, and it felt much more laborious than reading usually does.

635 words per minute, 154% faster than the national average.

You read 714 words per minute.
That makes you 186% faster than the national average.

Although it’s kind of a weird thing to test, like trying to tie your shoes while thinking about how to tie your shoes. I spent the whole time trying to focus on reading normally, so I couldn’t.

On a handful of tests, I scored 168%, 188%, and 205% faster than the national average, on excerpts I recognized as being from The War of the Worlds, Alice in Wonderland, and The Wizard of Oz respectively.

728 wpm/191 % above average
1073 wpm/329 % above average (that was Alice)
958 wpm/283 % above average

You’d think I’d be smarter. :dubious:

You read 493 words per minute.
That makes you 97% faster than the national average.

786 WPM, 214% faster than the national average.

Anyone look at the sliding scale to see just how fast the world record speed reader goes? Holy Shnikes! 4700 wpm. Gah.
Do you actually retain any comprehension at that speed?
FTR, I did 152% w/2/3 right, 147% all three while being asked questions on an unrelated matter…didn’t try a third time.

82% faster, but I had to guess on the first question. I had to guess on all the “War of the World” questions, so I just gave up. The odd wording had me reading at only 180-ish words per minute, anyways. It was too easy to get lost and have to go back.

I decided to experiment with speed and comprehension. I read the first sample at a methodical pace and scored 54% above average, all 3 questions correct. I sped up the next sample and finished 120% above average, all 3 questions correct. The last sample I read as fast as I could without skimming and finished at 196% of average, still got all 3 questions correct. I may go back later and skim a few samples to see how fast I can go without missing key data.

Averaged between 350% faster on three tries, got one question wrong out of 9.
ETA: I also don’t know if this is a good way to judge. The passages are too short, and speed skimming is easy.

560 wpm here.

You read 548 words per minute.
That makes you 119% faster than the national average.

I tried three times. 555, 658 and 959 wpm.

I changed my position in regard to the screen to improve speed. I imagine that with a book or EReader I am usually around 800 or so when not trying for speed. This monitor is a bitch to read fast on, with my 20 inch at home it’d be easier.

Slee

I tried twice. Forgot the first score, second was 2009 wpm, 709% higher.

I trained myself to read very fast from a very young age. I loved to reread, so I also trained myself to forget what i had read. This sucks.

Obligatory Calvin & Hobbes link: http://thecuriousbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/58e5f6c8250a102d94d7001438c0f03b-1.gif

Heck, since the questions are always the same, I got 14,256 wpm the second time I tried it. That seems to be the limit, since it can’t record times less than a second. But at the risk of sounding skeptical, there’s very little evidence that anyone can read (as opposed to skim) at more than about 800 WPM, and some researchers are skeptical of rates much above 600.