Finding an Apartment (Long Distance)

I don’t want to turn this into a VA vs. MD thing, nor push you too hard on this - you’re the one who has to live with your choice, and as a straight dude, I can’t speak from personal experience. But I do think you’re doing NoVA, and Arlington County in particular, a bit of a disservice. You can think of Arlington as sort of Virginia’s Austin, if you like - it’s exceedingly cosmopolitan and tolerant, despite the backwardness of other bits of the state.

Yeah, but from a legal standpoint, even NoVA can’t override the bullshit handed down by Richmond. There’s the grandmother who sued for custody of her grandson (and won, at least initially) primarily on the grounds that her daughter was a lesbian single mom. And the law passed that expressly nullifies any legal contracts that are design to mimic the rights and protections of marriage.

As much as I like NoVA in many ways, the statewide homophobia would make me suggest that a same-sex couple should look elsewhere.

The funny thing is: the house our former neighbors lived in (the woman who moved after that asinine law was passed) is now owned by a couple who couldn’t have been legally married here 35 years ago (mixed race).

Nobody mentioned this before but if the girlfriend already lives in MD, then staying in MD greatly simplifies her end-of-year tax returns (no multi-state stuff to deal with). So that’s another argument for remaining north of the Mason Dixon line. The OP would still have a multi-state concern, but there’s no way around that.

And taxes in DC are a lot higher than taxes in MD (I think) so that’s another argument for MD vs the District.

Um… I do not think the Mason-Dixon line is where you think it is…

:smack:
d’oh!

You’re right, of course. I was thinking “states which didn’t secede” and conflated the two, rather incorrectly.

Of course, I’m closer than the lyrics in this song:

That’s right next to the building I work in. At least I think it is, there are two or three buildings right there. If so you’ll have to invite me over.

I also went to lunch today and my date told me she lived Falkland Chase, which isn’t too far away and in your price range.

Not according to this article. From what I’ve seen our friends in the Maryland suburbs pay just as much as we do.

Normally, I’d recommend Northern VA over MD, but in the OP’s case, she’s right about the state laws. They wouldn’t get many stares and looks in Arlington, Alexandria, and probably Fairfax, but the rest of Virginia is fairly conservative.

Are your parents an interracial couple? I’ve always felt like Pittsburghers are pretty damn “whatever” about just about anything. Live and let live. Well, except furries. But that’s a whole other thing.

Exactly, the one two punch of McDonnell-Cucinelli is just really unpalatable. And Maryland is kinda-sorta recognizing marriages from DC and other states and is on track toward marriage equality or at least civil unions in the very very near future. (The governor has committed to signing either if they hit his desk.) VA is so far away from that they’re going in the opposite direction. It’s legal and personal folly for any same-sex couple to relocate to VA, especially if MD is an option.

Whee, we’ll have lunch one day, if I end up there. Remind me!

Yup they are. Pittsburghers are very “whatever”, I agree. You’re totally right about Furries, they do elicit so much resentment and curiosity!

Also, that apartment building you linked to looks niiiiice. Not many places like that round here! :stuck_out_tongue:

ETA: forgot the “n” in linked

I don’t know if you are looking for a furnished rental or not, but I would suggest reaching out to this site, www.interimhousingsolutions.com. They are a search service for furnished rentals and they are free. They can quickly find you some options to meet your needs. But they only offer furnished rentals. Good Luck!