Finding my UK phone stalker

I reckon it’s Gordon Brown.

What, he hasn’t anything better to do?

From London, eh?

If it were calls made during June, July, and August from Clydeside, Inverness, Selkirk, etc., I’d hazard a guess that it’s someone enamored of Scot summers. :wink:

Bill Bryson once wrote, quite rightly, that you can live there for years, yet still open the Evening Standard and read a story about something in a part of the city you’ve never heard of.

If I had any thought at all that Gerard Butler, say, were on the other end, I’d be waiting by the phone with bated breath. :wink:

But no, the calls are from London area, and have been coming in recently, so I guess other possibilities have to be entertained. I looked up the person I was thinking of in LinkedIn, and it seems he works in Hayes, Middlesex these days - close enough to the other places mentioned up thread that I have to consider him a real possibility as the caller. :smack:

Sounds fascinating and bewildering at the same time. I’d love it!

For Googling purposes, yes, but officially the area code is 20, so the “correct” way of writing it (including the dialling prefix) is 020 8XXX XXXX. Many people erroneously tack the 8 (or 7) to the end of the 020, thinking that it’s a separate area code, because until a few years ago London telephone numbers were only seven digits long.

That’s what I meant to write, psychonaut, but I screwed up.

Jean Gray I can’t tell if you’re in the UK or not, but come to think of it I have had a few calls from London numbers recently to my mobile, and they’ve been call centres saying “Hi! As an Orange customer, you’re eligible for an upgr…” to which I always reply “I’m with Virgin. Goodbye.”

jjimm, I’m in the US, and on the Do Not Call registry here w/r/t marketing calls - which probably means nothing to companies outside the States, but then it also strikes me as unlikely that anyone in the UK would want to try to sell me anything. :wink:

Calls to the US from Britain would have to start with 00111 for international dialing + country code, no? Doesn’t seem like this could be happening entirely by accident… though I would be happy to find that was the case.

Might be my brother.

He’s in the Richmond/Twickenham area…

Just to clarify - what exactly are the nature of the calls? What is the other person actually doing to you?

No, they’d start 00 for international, then 1 for the US - then the US area code etc. Just 001 to start.

However, I too seriously doubt that a telemarketer in the UK would call a US number.

Ah okay. FWIW, I was thinking of calling home from Australia and assumed it would be the same from the UK too.

Peter Morris, right now the calls are only hang ups, no message left - I just see them as missed incoming calls. The outgoing message on my landline phone is the voice of a male friend of mine, because as a single woman living alone I’d rather not advertise the fact. That message may be discouraging the caller from leaving a message of their own.

The reason I’m curious about the source is because there’s a chance the calls are coming from someone I used to know a few years back, whose sorry ass I dumped when it came out that he had a wife and infant daughter. (So, Really Not All That Bright, I hope it’s not your brother!) He’s emailed me a few times since the fall and I haven’t responded. Just wondering if in fact he hasn’t tracked me down and is trying to get me on the phone.

If you consider this to be a nuisance you can contact BT if you are a customer. I did this when I got repeated calls from either a fax machine or a computer somewhere. They gave me two months free call-barring which was long enough for the offender to get the message.

That’s true. I live in a flat around the corner from Joanna Lumley OBE and similarly around another corner to crack dens.

I got it Poly, you did not post in vain. :cool:

Well, a good game of Mornington Crescent is a way to get to know your way around, and I’ve already played the opening move (come on, guys, I expect better :wink: ).

Ah, so that *was *a whooshing sound I heard earlier. Can someone explain?

GorillaMan, I’m pretty sure I’d be lost within three steps, even with a map handy. :o What’s your starting point, Trafalgar?

The best way to learn is to play. We’ll be kind, and we’ll avoid all diagonals.

Trafalgar puts you in Charing Cross, and without making the obvious shunt I’ll opt for Blackfriars.

June, July, and August = Summer
Clydeside, Inverness, Selkirk, = Scotland

Scott Summers and Jean Gray are characters in X-Men (didn’t you know?).
Oh, and I’ll play the infamous Pudding Lane loop, which is always risky, but fun.

Fun? I’ll show you fun! Theydon Bois!!!
Hah. Don’t forget, no diagonals :stuck_out_tongue: