Firing squads

Is there still underground nuke testing? Because I’ve always thought that once a year, you could herd all the condemned to a room directly adjacent to the bomb.

I am confused. Are you responding to me?

I was not posting on the death penalty, or the methods, in general, in my two previous posts. I was posting on one specific issue, the availability of one of the approved drugs. I know about this. I’ve been following the story for … nearly two years, I believe.

A U.S. drug manufacturer cannot decide to produce and distribute a drug in short order; an accelerated ANDA is possible only when public health is at risk, and one person currently in prison is not, as far as I know, considered an immanent risk to public health.

There was one European manufacturer of the drug, which has significant therapeutic usage, and that company will not sell it for use in execution. The company was prepared to refuse to sell it to all U.S. distributors after one state obtain some illegally and would not return it.

The company had to challenge the FDA to enforce U.S. regulations on the grounds the actual shipment of drug was originally distributed for clinical trials. If I remember correctly, the shipment was shipped to an Italian distributor for shipment to an African country for clinical trials, and ended up be shipped to a U.S. state prison for use in execution. This should have been a major embarrassment, but the U.S. press did not run with it.

And this is relevant how? Note the US constitution ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Also, from everything I’ve read - nitrogen asphyxiation is the way to go. I imagine some states still have their gas chambers, so I’d think modifying one of those to pump out air and pump in nitrogen would be pretty easy to set up.

A little refresher reading even indicates that China is able to successfully recover organs from prisoners executed via their form of lethal injection—save for the heart, which is damaged by the poison.

Incidentally, as I recall, for Chinese firing-squad executions, they actually used a special hollowpoint 7.62x39 round, fired from—judging from the photos of the execution I saw—about three feet away, at the back of the skull. Basically everything above the bridge of the nose was obliterated.

Would you even need the chamber? A heavy duty face mask ought to do it, really.

Oh! Or one of those big, old-fashioned diving helmets. Metal.

You don’t even need a gas - a vacuum can also induce hypoxia. Painlessly too, I think.