First name with most spelling variations?

I’ve seen Jasmine, Jazzmyn, Jazmin, Jasmyn, Jasmin, Jassmyn, Jazmyn and countless other variations.

My daughter’s a Caileigh. (I only know one other that spells it that way.) In her preschool class were Kaylee and Callie, and she’s got a cousin Kali (all pronounced “kay-lee”). Other variations include Caylee, Cayleigh, Kalee, Kallie, Callie, etc.

I’m not sure if it’s the most, but it’s got to be up there. I think it’s a relatively new popular name that a lot of people like the sound of, but it’s not so old or made famous by one person to cement just one or two spellings of it into our culture. I suspect that, if it doesn’t have the most spelling variations in lists in books (which include historical or creative spellings not commonly used), it probably has the most spelling variations in widespread and common use today.

Is KAY-lee for “Callie” a usual pronunciation? I’ve always heard it to rhyme with “tally,” but I only know two Callies and they’re both in their 30s, so perhaps it’s a generational thing.

Her teacher said it’s her second “KAY-lee” spelled that way, but yes, I would have guessed “to rhyme with ‘tally’”, myself.

(And don’t get me started on Kali. I think I’ve ranted about that before. It just doesn’t make sense!)

I came in to post my name, but it’s Katherine, and already been mentioned repeatedly.

You think the people that come up with abominations like Mykynzy care?

And that’s just the worst one I could find where the pronunciation is obvious.

I like Caitlyn but I’ve seen Hayley spelt many, many ways too:

Hale, Halee, Halie, Haley, Haly, Haile, Hailee, Hailey, Haily, Hayle, Haylee, Haylie, Hayley, Hayly, Haele, Haelee, Haelie, Haeley, Haely and even Hayliegh, Haliegh, Haileigh, Haeleigh etc…

How did “Linzy” not make that list?

Is Qaddafi a first name? It could be.

I spelled one of my cats names as K-Lee, but then the other one is Schmokey, the vet loved it!

I knew that was coming!! So funny!

“Kaish-leen,” as I was told when I gave my daughter that fine old uncommon Irish name around 1989… traditional spelling.

I’ll have to use that next time I write to a family member of that name - who is female.

I don’t think that the multiple ways his name has been spelled are actual variants in the sense of the OP, rather they are just different best guesses on the part of the media and government on how it should be spelled. IIRC, it hadn’t been translated into written English by his regime until after he had become well known, and it contains at least one sound that does not exist in the English language.

ETA: The master speaks.

Welcome to my world (teaching, that is)…

Keeping the Caitlynnes and the Lindzeez straight is exhausting.

I miss “The Year of Jason/Josh/Jen/Jaclyn”, when every kid seemed to be one of the those.

How do 6-year-old zombies spell their names? :stuck_out_tongue:

The names I’ve seen with the most spellings are the variations of Sheri or Cheryl.

Two different teachers told me that the names with the most variations, in their experience, were

Alice and Jason

Those were quite surprising to me.

Ashley.

Or Ashleigh. Or Ashlee, Ashlie, Ashlea, Ashlie, Ashly, Ashli or Ashlé.