First-person shooters and nausea

I got that alot playing Descent 3, in “no cockpit” mode. Not sure if this qualifies as a FPS but it’s the same idea. It would be alot better if I used the cockpit. If Wolfenstein has some kind of setting like this you could try using it or use a smaller screen size.

Didn’t get “VR sickness” but the cable car sequence in Return To Castle Wolfenstein where you’re running around on the tower gave me a bad case of vertigo.

eww…

I’m over 40, and the only time I’ve experienced motion sickness of any kind was when I got slightly nauseous after playing Quake with 3-D goggles at an arcade for about an hour.

I had this happen to me when I first played Unreal Tournament. I got over it after playing a few times, so I think either my movements became smoother, or I started unconsciously moving my head to match my character.

When my girlfriend (now wife) started playing, I sat next to her to show her how to use the controls. Within ten minutes, I felt sick as a dog. Something about the combination of her jerky movements and not knowing where she was going to move next just made me come close to hurling.

For people playing on PC games that get sick only on certain games, not all, there is something you can try.

You can try changing the field of view. I know Unreal has this option, but I’m pretty sure Quake (and their engine based games) does too. Basically, when you’re viewing a game on your monitor, you’re seeing out at a certain angle from a single point. In unreal, people will change this angle from 90 (I think that’s the default) to about 110 so that they have more ‘peripheral’ vision.

With only certain games giving vertigo/motion sickness, I’m guessing it has something to do with you seeing a wider or more narrow angle than your brain is used to and so it looks distorted as you move (similar to moving your head around while looking into a curved glass fishtank). I know if I make the field of view angle too high, it looks strange to me and I can’t play very long, so it’s something to look into on your favorite game. And, if it helps, just remember that angle and you can use it in other games that allow you to change it.

If this helps anyone, I’d be very interested to hear about it, as it makes me sick if I change the angle, so maybe it’ll make someone better if they do the same.
As for people with consoles…well - you can always just buy a wide screen tv and see if that helps.

John

I think it has something to do with the jerkiness of the animation in FPS. I can play X-Wing for hours (an oldie but a goodie!) but a few minutes of Wolfie leaves me queasy. I’m okay with Gran Turismo, too, but probably that’s because it’s on the TV, rather than a computer monitor a few inches from my nose.

Anybody experience sickness with flight or driving similuators?