First-time listener of the White Album

Oh no, I suddenly see the counter-nitpick right there! The movie Yellow Submarine came out before the White Album; it’s just the album Yellow Submarine that came out after. Oh, and another counter-nitpick rears its head, with Wikipedia’s help: although it was released later, all the material on the Yellow Submarine album was recorded well before the sessions for the White Album began.

Damn. I shall slink away, red-faced.

:falls to knees: WHY GOD WHY!?!?! Stop picking my* Nits! ;_;
I just saw the movie! I’ve got a hole in my pocket! I was born in the 80s and have no sense of timing of the Beatles! Just make it go away! :sobs:

*nitpick: I guess it’s technically you picking your own nits actually.

::d&r::

I have the limited edition CD that came out in '98. It has the 8X10’s and the poster, but they’ve been reduced to fit inside a CD sleeve (so, - 3X5’s instead of 8X10’s? and a smaller poster). It as also numbered, like the original albums were. The packaging left something to be desired, in my opinion. I didn’t like the plastic sheath that the discs (which were also in a paper LP style CD sleeve that reprodudes the original in miniature)

Beatles trivia that surprised me: There were NO number one songs on Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper’s, Abbey Road, or The Beatles (The White Album)

Actually, Yellow Submarine was on Revolver. The cartoon movie came after but the song already existed.

As for the White album, although I don’t like all the songs on the White Album, I can’t imagine cutting any of them.

Oh, I love Piggies, Yer Blues and Savoy Truffle. And Dear Prudence. And I Will…and Blackbird…
Oh yeah…I really do like Everybody Has Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey…damn…also, The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill.

Good Night I can do without.

Oh, the song? I was referring to the album. RoOsh was referring to the movie.

Well, let’s put an end to this. Anyone know when the first actually yellow submarine was constructed?

Haha. I’ve played the “cut down the White Album” game too, but you always get stuck with more than one album’s worth of songs. I think that’s a worth tradeoff for whichever songs you consider filler.

It depends on who you believe: either Hagbard Celine had it built secretly in the fjords of Norway, or he stole it from the government of the US or the USSR.

I disagree with Birthday. Listen to it at 0:57, it’s nice hard rock. I would probably add Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, which is diverse but ultimately not a good song, and mother natures son, which bores me. (Why is it that their worst songs are some of their most well known from their post-rubber soul output? This song, Yellow Submarine, Octopus’ Garden.)

I wanted us to dance to it at our wedding, but the DJ, who at one point owned the local oldies station, had never heard of it.

He didn’t inform me of this until we were at the reception, waiting for him to start it up. I don’t even remember what we ended up with. :frowning:

That’s because the Beatles did not release singles from their albums–they thought that was “cheating” because you buy an album for new songs. Occasionally, this wouldn’t hold true (Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby was during a transitional time for the band, musically and professionally since they knew they were going to stop touring soon). Help and A Hard Day’s Night were both released because of the films, but wouldn’t have been released as singles otherwise. So instead of a number 1 coming off of Rubber Soul, the world saw the release of We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper and then later in '66, Paperback Writer/Rain. They deviated from this pattern for Revolver, as I mentioned, but then released Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane instead of songs from Sgt. Peppers. Then around the time of th White Album, they had Lady Madonna/The Inner Light and Hey Jude/Revolution. Even the version of Let It Be they released as a single (Let it Be/You Know My Name Look Up the Number) is not the same version you’ll find on the album.

That would explain why that greatest hits CD I bought a while back doesn’t have my favorite Beatles songs on it. :smack: I guess I’ll have to break down and buy some proper albums some day.

Yep. And that’s why if you want the entire discography, you need to buy every album they released plus Past Masters Vol 1 and Past Masters Vol 2 (and Live From the BBC just because it’s awesome).

What, no Free As Bird, Real Love and Come and Get It. :slight_smile:

Well, doesn’t it go without saying that everybody should own all three volumes of the Anthology (though it was possible to buy Free As a Bird/Real Love as singles. I regret very much that I didn’t at the time. I didn’t know any better, I was only 14).

That was SOP in the UK at the time. Songs were released in three formats: singles, albums, and EPs. You did not include singles on the albums, or anything else. British record buyers had less money than those in the US, and resented having to buy the same song twice.

This is one reason why the early Beatles albums were different in the US and the UK. There was originally no US release of “Beatles for Sale,” for instance, and “Yesterday . . . and Today” was originally only released in the US (in addition, British albums were expected to have 14 songs, while US albums had only 12).

The 1 album has Something and Come Together, with a picture of the single. I don’t know about #1 in the US, but it must have been #1 somewhere.

“Come Together” was indeed a U.S. #1. (“Something” made #3.) It was in the U.K. that neither song reached the top spot.

Thanks! I just bought it on iTunes.