Flat earth theory. Serious question

What I find most interesting about the FE’ers is … why? For what possible reason could there be a conspiracy to convince people the Earth is Round rather than Flat?

I mean, apparently all the airlines base their flight plans on a round earth model - do FE’ers refuse to catch planes?
The TV companies say (well, they would!) they beam images right around the globe - what is the benefit they gain from claiming the earth is round rather than flat? Do FE’ers boycott TV?

What the hell does the guvmint (or more particularly, those in charge - Illuminated Masonic Royal Oily CIA Bildeburgers) gain?? What does NASA gain? Even if the earth IS flat, we still need to explore space.

It seems to me that if you went out of your way to satirise Conspiracy Theories by inventing a CT that, EVEN IF TRUE, means - basically nothing in most people’s lives, and provides no benefits to those propagating it - a Flat Earth would be a good choice.

Without the application of thrust. But if Isaac Newton was in the conspiracy, then the laws of motion are just a scam by Big Science!
I wonder if you could work out any consistent set of laws that would let you “orbit” a flat earth without thrust. Anything resembling an orbit in Diskworld went over the edge.

Thanks for your opinion, but no, I am not being disingenuous.

I love how you know what I am thinking based on your own personal biases.

People believe things that I personally don’t understand. You think FE is a theory that deserves ridicule? Fine. Go make a pit thread.

I can list a number of “theories” that are viewed by many as just as “out there” as the FE group. Many of them have tax-exempt status and are ridiculed on this board daily. Others have led people to fight wars.

My OP was genuine. If you can’t answer the OP in the spirit of GQ, then move along.

Which was exactly the question the OP asked. To which nobody has come up with a clear answer.

The best consensus seems to be that there are sane pranksters and insane believers. The former don’t have to believe their own arguments and the latter’s arguments don’t have to make sense. And that’s all there is to it.

But we still don’t really have even so much as an explanation of what the insane believers’ insane arguments are. Meaning, their arguments for why TPTB even care to delude all us sheeple about this, however silly such argument may be. The nearest we’ve seen is the speculation that the believers think that TPTB are trying to create an illusion of military superiority.

ETA: Sheeples of the disk world, unite! You have nowhere to go but baaaaaaaa!

Agreed. I have no more insight than anyone else does.

We can take a stab at what motivates them. The same as other CTers. IMO:

How’m I doin’ so far? :smiley:

Yes of course it’s circular nonsense. A verbal Escher staircase. That’s the fun of insane people. They’re happy to build such staircases and then walk around them over and over admiring their handiwork. Which always reveals a new and exciting vista after turning each of the corners over and over and over and …

It’s all organized by the Devil as a plot to destroy the faith of true Christians. I.e., the government is working with/the pawn of the Devil and on and on.

Don’t think of it as a traditional conspiracy like the Kennedy Assassination or Moon landing. There isn’t a human cabal behind it. The forces involved are spiritual. We’re just the players in it.

Ditto those pesky dinosaur bones the Devil put in the ground.