Food storage container recommendations, please!

It’s worth noting that these come in both glass and plastic versions. Both use the same plastic lids (and they really do make an excellent seal). Confusingly, I seem to recall that Rubbermaid uses the “Brilliance” name for both types. The lids have little holes under the latches that are tightly sealed when closed, but exposed when unlatched, providing venting if you microwave stuff with the lid on.

I have the glass ones; glass and plastic each have their advantages and disadvantages. The glass type is oven safe, but is probably less suitable for freezing.

I don’t recall seeing anyone mention Food Saver vacuum bags. Great for stuff like chili or ham & beans. We freeze in plastic, remove and put in food saver bags. Then back into the freezer. Takes up a lot less room than rigid plastic or glass.

I use vacuum bags for longer term storage. But they’re impractical for leftover veggies that will be eaten within a few days.

Generally speaking, we reuse lunchmeat containers and pint/quart yogurt tubs, along with any takeout containers that we can. Along with this, we’ve got some of those semi-disposable containers that you mentioned- I think Ziploc and Rubbermaid both make them, as do most house brands.

The luxury there is that if they get messed up, or food stays in them too long, there’s no pressure to have to do anything special- just throw them out and replace them with the lunchmeat/yogurt containers you’d already likely be throwing in the recycle bin anyway.

We also use a lot of just plain zip-top bags for a lot of foods. It works surprisingly well for a variety of foods, once you get over the whole “You can’t refrigerate soup in a gallon ziploc bag!” mentality.

Oh… for long term freezer storage, we’ve got a vacuum sealer (think FoodSaver, but a slightly more capable type) that does good work storing stuff like leftover ham, turkey, etc… One thing we do is buy ground beef in bulk- like 5 lbs, and then portion out to 1 lb food-saver bags, and freeze. Same with leftovers like ham/turkey at holidays, and stuff like barbecue, since you can’t really smoke a 4 lb brisket or pork butt.

Count me among the Rubbermaid Brilliance fans.

Yes of course, I wasn’t inferring they were good for everything. But my freezer is full of them.

Another vote for Rubbermaid Brilliance. I received a recommendation on these boards a while back, and they’ve been terrific. Pretty expensive though. Understand that the plastic version is very hard, crystal-clear, rigid plastic, not what you think of as regular Rubbermaid material.