Foods made out of potentially lethal ingredients

There’s not supposed to be any lye left when you put it in the pot or oven. I can find no information about people injured from eating dangerously caustic fish. I think the chef would find out ahead of time that it wasn’t prepared right when he put the fish in the pan and his skin sloughed off.

This is completely frightening. My Dearly Beloved™ makes her Killah Chili exactly this way. With dry original beans, including kidney beans, thrown into the pot and cooked up, soaking up liquid as they go.

No more, I say !!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not immediately lethal, but you might want to reconsider drinking that tea made from sassafras:

Rhubarb leaves are toxic. Generally they aren’t used in the final food product though (just the stems), but then the same issue applies to fugu (i.e. you’re just not supposed to eat the toxic parts).

Pequi fruit (from Brazil) isn’t exactly toxic, but if you eat it wrong, you’ll drive a bunch of spines into your gums, lips, tongue, and palate, often requiring assistance for removal. They’re not toxic per se, but I expect that such an injury, if left untreated, could result in a problematic infection.

And along those same lines… dihydrogen oxide.

A whole lot of foods are toxic without processing. Bitter cassava, Polynesian arrowroot, many some bean species, some varieties of sorghum, some cycad species, and probably others. Kernels of many species in the rose family are poisonous but the edible varieties (e.g. Almonds and apricot kernels) have usually been bred for low cyanide. And Then of course many leafy vegetables contain oxalic acid which will make you suck or kill you in high enough amounts.

If she’s making it in a newer slow cooker, there’s probably not a problem. (Easy check: open it. Is it boiling? Then you’re fine.) If her slow cooker is a family pass-me-down or an older model purchased at a thrift store or flea market, it might be problematic cooked on Low, because the temperature setting of old slow cookers is lower than new slow cookers. Again, open it. If it’s boiling, you’re fine.

Vitamin A is toxic in high quantities, but as far as I know the precursor (found in many fruits and vegetables) isn’t, so you won’t get vitamin A toxicity from eating too many carrots or pumpkins.

Too much kale definitely makes people suck. :wink:

I showed her this thread.

She suggested that I climb in and see if " it’s hot enough for yas in there ! "

I love my sweetiepie.

The cooker is only a few years old and we tend to run chili on High when awake, adding water and other liquids as it cooks, and Keep Warm when asleep. Chili typically takes 2-3 days to be suitable.

But you might turn orange.

Almond extract isn’t toxic unless you drank a couple gallons of it. The processing to extract the flavor removes the amygdalin which creates the cyanide.

Ackee is a fruit commonly eaten in Jamaica. It must be allowed to ripen on the tree, since eating under-ripe ackee can cause a potentially fatal illness called “Jamaican vomiting sickness.” Eating parts of the fruit other than the arils can cause the same illness.

What amount do I have to feed to my girlfriend to get the first effect but not the second?

Trying to eat great white shark might kill you…

Bamboo shoots are poisonous eaten raw. Never heard of anyone dying but it’ll apparently make you puke and shit like you’ll want to die.

There’s potentially deadly ingredients, and then there are ones that are deadly in reality. One of the ingredients in this thread–one I regularly use in recipes–kills nearly a dozen Americans every day.

Hijiki, a black Japanese seaweed contains inorganic arsenic, and is a very frequently eaten side-dish. For a long time the Japanese general healthiness (long life-span) has been at odds with the inexplicable high rates of intestinal cancer. Hijiki is a likely factor.

In Jamaica, they eat the fruit of the ackee. Ripe ackee is fine. Green ackee is poisonous.

I see I was beaten to it.

Um. As I recall, soybeans can, in large quantities, inhibit the absorption of…something important, I forget what. Soybean curd–tofu–does not, due to its processing.