Foods you miss

Foods from L.A./California:
[ul]
[li]Tommy Burgers (burger or hot dog, with or without cheese, with or without chili … that’s the entire menu)[/li][li]Jack in the Box Super Tacos[/li][/ul]

Foods from Indonesia/Southeast Asia:
[ul]
[li]Peanut sauce[/li][li]Satay (without decent peanut sauce, it’s just meat-on-a-stick)[/li][li]Padang curry[/li][li]Krupuk (shrimp chips)[/li][li]Fried sweet-potato wedges[/li][li]Some sort of Indian fried omelet thingie from The Stalls in Singapore, across from the Cold Storage. I think it was called “chapati” or “martabak”, or something like that.[/li][/ul]

Foods from Taiwan/Hong Kong:
[ul]
[li]Swan-mei (small dried, heavily-salted plums)[/li][li]Watermelon seeds[/li][li]Ginger beer[/li][/ul]

Thanks. Now I am really, really hungry.

Look here, I can get all of those and put them in dry ice, if you got the cash…

Maybe not the burrito. Gotta have those fresh and hot…

They fried them in lard or other animal fat.

The pies were deep fried. Remember how eating one incorrectly got crumbs all over you?

KFC does a pretty good impersonation of them.

Rachel’s Brownies… the original ones, before they sold out to the horrible conglorporation that changed the recipe, overpackaged them, and killed them.

Tiger’s Milk powder. Looooovved that stuff.

Danny Bars–frozen yogurt with a chocolate coating. Nom.

Stuff from Cairo I miss:

koshari
fuul
kofta (oh, man, how I miss kofta)

And I’ve never had either tahini or pitas as good as I had there.

White Castle and Bob Evans restaurants. Neither one exist in Arizona, and they’re they only things I miss about Ohio.

When I was growing up in the 60’s and 70’s, there was a simple little neighborhood bar called Ol’ Sweig’s. They had a huge family room… I can still remember it, the knotty pinr paneling, the cracked red leatherette booth seats, pictures of race horses on the wall.

They made the best fried chicken in the world. I am talking THE BEST. OMG… it’s been 20 years since they closed and I can still smell and taste it. I have NO idea what was different about it, but I have never had anything close.

THAT’S the food I miss most in the world.

I’d like a Banana Flip by Mickey Cakes. I think the company is gone now. I loved those little folded over circles of yellow sponge cake filled with slick-feeling banana-flavored cream.

Trader Joe’s breaks my heart every once in a while when they discontinue my favorite things. Last year, it was the green tea muffin mix.

I miss all the Bay Area food that you can’t get here, like Cheeseboard pizza, Gregoire’s potato puffs and bread puddings, Fenton’s ice cream in Oakland, La Farine’s morning buns, Semifreddi’s cinnamon toast, Acme bread in general, and all the produce at the Ferry Building.

There’s plenty of Taiwanese foods I miss too. Things such as really good oyster noodles, little round spicy meat pastries, and thinly sliced goose meat. Most of all though, I miss gua bao. It’s deceptively called a Taiwanese hamburger, but it’s really nothing like a hamburger. It’s a very mildly sweet pac-man bun stuffed with fatty stewed pork and relish with a thin layer of peanut powder inside. Coupled with some soup and it’s the best meal in the world.

Jones Brothers breakfast sausage links, or “little pigs” as my mother used to call them.

Butterscotch ice cream.

The burgers of my youth, before McD went berserk and ran everyone out of business with their frozen crap. Happily, the mom-and-pop burger has come back in a lot of places.

Speaking of things like this, why isn’t Hawaiian kettle potato chips making their plain signature chip anymore? All I’ve seen on the shelves for months is that flavored shit.

I get hankerings for various Asian and Hawaiian foods pretty regularly but it’s not impossible to come by (laulau is a bit hard to pick up, though). Except for the fruit. I haven’t had a decent starfruit in years, much less lychee or guava or all those things I don’t even know the proper English terms for (pohas, strawberry-guava, etc). When I lived in Belgium I desperately missed decent tacos, and now I desperately miss my favorite doner/shoarma place.

1. My grandmother’s homemade Maple Cream (from gramp’s freshly made syrup)
  2. Hot dogs from the ‘Dirty O’ in Pittsburgh.
  3. Onion Cakes from The Hunan in San Francisco

I just asked my SO, who often speaks lovingly of The Stalls from living in Singapore. Those are martabak.

SO: 'Or as we used to call them, “Motorbikes! heh heh”

Jumpin’ Jack Cheese Doritos

The ORIGINAL taco flavored doritos (not the Taco Bell seasoning second round)

Wise’ Crunchy Cheez Doodles (“Double fried for tastiness!”)

Yeah, I think it’s obvious I’m not overweight b/c of a ‘problem with my metabolism’.

:rolleyes:

Arthur Treacher’s Fish and Chips.

Latif’s Bakery in Al Khobar, KSA had cheese bread, baked in a wood burning oven. The zatar bread not so much.

Belgian frites and mayo.
Moules provencale (although I make a killer version)
Having a baguette with butter and a cafe au lait at a sidewalk cafe in Paris
Pepper steak and frites in a Brussels pub
Fish and chips in London

Plantar’s Cheese Balls. They still have the cheese doodles/cheetos thingies, but not the cheese balls. Oh, and Cheetos Paws. Those things were awesome.

Who would eat a Tommy’s burger without chili? Sacrilege! Back in the 70’s, they had tamales, too – have the discontinued them?

The ones I remember were Lemon Coolers by Nabisco I think. They had little lemony nuggets throughout the wafer. I loved those things.