For those who buy organic, what are the reasons?

Tastes better. Grass fed beef and organic dairy tastes freakishly better. I would have thought this BS, had my wife not insisted I start buying organic cottage cheese. Much, much better.

Grass fed beef does taste different, but that does not = “organic”.

I think that a lot of the taste difference is in dudes minds.

Yeah, point out where I said that.

I meant this to be wry and jesting when I wrote it, but rereading it it sounds just bitchy as hell. I apologize.

Well, we are in a thread about Organic.

Admitted - like I said, that came out way more snarky than I intended. Anyway, what I mean is that some of the the expensive stuff I’ve hesitatingly tried at my wife’s insistance, like grass fed beef on one hand and organic dairy on the other, has proved to have a taste difference. The two most noticeable I can think of are with ground beef and cottage cheese. The ground beef not only tasted fresher and better, it looked different, more brown than the gray that cooked ground beef usually looks like. The organic cottage cheese tasted sweet without the weird chemical taste that I’d never before realized cottage cheese had prior to that. It’s possible that it’s all in my head, but I really don’t think so; I fully expected it would taste exactly the same and was genuinely surprised when it didn’t. With organic produce, on the other hand, I’ve never noticed any taste difference whatsoever.

No doubt, grass fed beef has more flavor, but many debate whether it’s “better” n that corn fed beef is more tender. But there is a definite difference, I’ll concede.

Like I said earlier, a lot of what dudes think of as the better taste of organic is actually the better taste of small and locally grown. Not all truck farms are organic, however. The difference between the same variety of food, harvested and shipped the same way- but one with manure and the other with chemical fertilizer- is almost impossible to tell. If you had a small local non-organic dairy, I have little doubt their products would also taste better.

Could be; locally grown/milked/whatever has the touchy feely carbon footprint quality my wife values to it as well, so if that’s the case I’ve got no problem buying conventional and local if the taste is okay. All I can say with certainty is that generally the cottage cheese and yogurt labeled organic has a much much better taste and texture for whatever reason, and I don’t mind spending the extra.