Foreign Equivalents to the Pledge of Allegiance

In Thailand, everyone stands up before a movie and they play a montoge of the royal family with a song or poem or somesuch as the soundtrack. Don’t recall if the movie patrons join in.

They used to live over by Round John Virgin and Harold Angel, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, the nat’l anthem is played every morning, before morning announcements (or as a part of them, if they decide to have a student sing it.) Early on, we were encouraged to sing along, but that practice is generally restricted to grade threes and lower. Eventually, you just stand and take off your hat, if you’re wearing one.

I vaguely recall the practice being the same in the separate schools, but having only gone there for kindergarten, I really don’t remember for sure.

Just wanted to add that almost all of the controversy about the pledge that I’ve heard has just been about the “under God” passage, not the recitation of the pledge itself.

That’s the most recent part of it, with the Newdow cases and all, but the argument dates back to about 1940 and covers the Pledge itself, not merely the “under God” element (which wasn’t added until 1954; I’d just memorized the old version in first grade when I had to relearn it!).

Can I live on your couch? I’d love to live in a place where such things are recognized for what they are.

German (former West German) here.

Something like the US Pledge of Allegiance was unthinkable here - any patriotic ceremonial (in school at that) would be considered far-right. That also goes for a cult of the flag. (I think flag burning is illegal in Germany, but nobody does it in the course of protests because it would fail to get a rise out of people).

In school former President Gustav Heinemann was held up as a model to us. When asked if he loved his country, he answered that he loved his wife.

Not disputing that this was the case - but you wouldn’t encounter this now, outside of a church school.

Similar situation in Australia regarding the Crown (for citizenship, not visitors):

1949 Oath of Allegiance:
I, A. B; swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King George the Sixth, his heirs and successors according to law, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Australia and fulfil my duties as an Australian citizen.

1994 (current) Pledge of Commitment:
Form of Pledge No. 1

From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Form of Pledge No. 2

From this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Say it once when you get off the plane, then forget about it. Go wild breaking laws with the rest of us. If you’re born here, you never have to say it at all. There is no current controversy - nobody thinks about it.

The hospital in India that I worked at for a month last summer had an attached primary school.
Every morning, at about 7am,400 kids would line up and say hawkeyejo’s:

India is my country.
All Indians are my brothers and sisters.
I Love my country.
I am proud of its rich and varied culture.
I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
I shall love and respect my parents, teachers and elders.
To my country and my people I pledge my devotion.

Except that all 400 under kids saying that pledge in English had Marati as their first language, and I only now understand what they were actually saying!

The only part I ever got was “All Indians are my brothers and sisters” which the kids really enjoyed saying…the rest was pretty incoherent.

To me that sounds like a very nice pledge in any language.

Up until Grade 2 (1992) we sung O Canada every morning and said the Lord’s Prayer (at the discretion of the teacher, my Grade 1 teacher never had us do that), in my public elementary school. After that, we did nothing, except O Canada at assemblies. Once I went to high school, we didn’t even do that.

Up until I left primary school in approximately 1992 we recited the Lord’s Prayer everyday before lunch. My primary school wasn’t particularly religious, we were linked by name with the local church but the only time we ever went there was for the leavers ceremony (something similar to graduation) and that was only because our school hall was too small. I wouldn’t be too surprised if pupils recite the prayer to this day.