Forgotten knowledge, methods, technology, etc.

If you have 3 surfaces and you alternate which ones you grind against which you automatically get a flat surface. And with a little care and eventually getting to very fine grit it will be VERY flat. Like a tiny fraction of the size of the finest grit you used flat. This is telescope optics making 101 where you eventually get to optical flats that are fraction of wavelength of light flat. And this can be done just by hand with eyeballs and some knowledge of optics and simple equipment. Not that those guys went to that level. Just noting that some amazing things can sometimes be done with just a little bit of the right knowledge.

As I understand it, the situation with Damascus steel is similar: The actual techniques weren’t all that complicated, it’s just that the ore used in Damascus, unbeknownst to anyone, had traces of (I think) vanadium, which turned out to be critical.

Or is it just not worth the money to make the film the same way. If the original production required a specific machine or material, and it’s not worth the cost to reproduce that machine or material, then the technique isn’t really lost, it’s just not being used.

I bet I would create, with no modern tools, a seam between 2 rocks that was extraordinarily precise. It would take lots of time and effort, and personally, I’d rather go buy 2 bricks and slather mortar inbetween. So while I could do it, I’m not going to; it’s not worth the time or the money.