Friend was fired 'cause she's involved w/a sex offender. What do I say?

Yep. A definite wait . …what?

Yes, they can. But since 'at will" means they don;t have to give a reason, it’s stupid to do so. It can lead to bad publicity, a lawsuit, etc.

You most certainly can sue if you’re fired in at will state for a silly reason, but you have to hire your own lawyer, etc. You can’t just file thru the State.
“Not making enough sales” is Ok, but like I said- you have to be a idiot to give a reason in a “at will state”…unless you’re trying to get out of paying Unemployment.

Why give a reason at all?

I’m pretty sure it’s more “Hey, we need to fire this Shelley chick before parents find out one of our employees is dating a child-molester. Also, we need a rule that nobody is allowed to date child molesters.”

It’s like the time I was at a hotel swimming pool that had the sign: “If you have had diarrhea in the last three weeks you are not allowed in the pool.” Somebody didn’t just come up with that rule out of thin air, there’s a reason it came into existence.

Hey, brand new poster defending child molesters. You’re too obvious.

Uh, most people complain when they get fired. It’s not something we enjoy having happen, normally.

Bad publicity? As opposed to having an employee that’s dating a child diddler? I don’t think the PR on this will go the way you’re thinking.

You really think the world would be better if people just got fired w/o being told why?

snerk

Nobody’s asking you for exact locations or identifying information. At least, I’m not asking about that. All I asked about was the nature of Rick’s crime, esp. the victim’s age, and you can’t even come up with that. Also, kindly note that despite your friend losing both of her jobs as well as not being eligible for unemployment, you are still feeling sympathy for Rick, the sexual predator, even if you don’t flat-out say it.

Frankly, I’m not happy with pedophiles or any other kind of rapist. This is mostly a media hysteria thing, but their existence casts a dark light on all adult single men. Heck, just today, I tried to access a high school library to look up an old friend, but was turned away at the admin office due to policy (since I had attended a neighboring school, not my friend’s) and the secretary gave me a dirty look as if she’d assumed I was some kind of creepy stalker. (Naturally, she changed her tune and became apologetic once I looked her in the eye and gave her my name as well as the name of my friend, but she still couldn’t help me.)

RICK has utterly ruined your friend’s life and livelihood, and unfortunately I must agree with everyone else that she has only herself to blame. Society sucks, but it’s a society we must exist & behave in. Had she not been a schoolteacher, my reaction would be different. But I think it’s clear to everyone now that your friend allowed herself to be toyed with by a dangerous manipulative psychopath.

… and/or was required to “confess” to get parole. As I understand it, if you want parole, you’re not allowed to deny guilt.

Y’see? This is the kind of prejudice I’m talking about. :rolleyes:

In ground pools are a pain to maintain, but if I ever have one I’m gonna be posting that sign. Although for close friends and relatives I’m willing to go with seven days.

Hey I think I found someone who also graduated from this one-room school house.

“I can’t even come up with that”? I’m sorry, when did it become required that I determine and then hand over every piece of information to you? (And yes, someone else asked about the town.) If it’s none of my business to learn this, as I strongly feel it is, it is unbelievably much more none of your freakin’ business. Jesus! Prurient interest is all well and good, hey it’s the official sport of IMHO, the Pit and MPSIMS not to mention countless snark boards, but it has nothing, bupkissimo, to do with the problem I posed in the OP.

Even if I don’t flat-out say it? In the paragraph you quoted, I specifically said that I’m not weeping sad tears for him.

Reading Is Fundamental!

What a brave stance. I applaud you, sir. That is truly a courageous thing to say, in this day and age, among strangers and on a public forum. Kudos to you, and kudos again.

Mmm hmmm. Naturally. Do you have PROOF that she changed her tune? No! You can’t even give us that!

Holy fucknuts, now he’s a psychopath. You know less about the situation than I do and you’re declaring him a psychopath. Words mean things, y’know.

Anyhoo I thank everyone for helping me with the reason I started this thread, which was not to go into the revolting details of whatever happened, if it happened or when it happened. I’m being sympathetic to Shelley and trying to give her practical advice, and basically just listened with appropriate “mm hmm” noises when she called. That’ll continue to be my strategy, because that’s the most I feel comfortable doing.

No, I know he revealed his pedophilia to his family either a year or a few years before any of this happened. Then his sister/brother-in-law accused him of the crime, and eventually he was convicted. So, not a condition of parole. Unless you mean confessing the crime? That much, I don’t know. Sorry.

I had scarlet pee but the tablets cured it right up.

I have a niece who married a sex offender and had children with him. The three children have been removed from her and he’s back in jail. I don’t know the full story, but it can’t be good.

I say that your friend is a fool if she wants to be around children. Probably her best bet is to leave that guy and the area to start life fresh elsewhere.

The broad answer is to work to destroy all “at-will” regulations and force employers to have a good reason to fire someone and allow any employee to challenge a firing. That way, she can challenge the firing herself without needing to keep it a secret.

Doesn’t that chronology seem odd to you? I know you don’t know any context behind it, but isn’t it strange?

If I were in Shelly’s shoes and loved kids as much as she must to have had two jobs working w/ them I’d have beat feet the minute my boyfriend told me he believes himself to be a pedophile.

choie, the hard reality of the situation with your friend, Shelley, is that Rick will always be like a boat anchor, dragging her down, impeding her progress.

He doesn’t ever pick her up at work, because he probably can’t get a driver’s license. Is he employable in this little town? Will he ever bring income into the family unit?

It doesn’t matter how much she loves him. He might even be a nice guy. But she will drag this anchor behind her wherever she goes. She is young. A good friend would ask her what she sees in her future.

If she says I will carry Rick’s worthless ass to the end of time, let her. Sometimes these things do work out.

Just as long as you, and her, see what the relationship offers in the long run. Old people settle for ‘good enough’, young people should not.

Yeah, it definitely seems odd to me. The whole thing seems odd to me. I just can’t imagine getting involved with someone whose illness/proclivity/crime/whatever is so antithetical to my own hopes for the future. Or even if it wasn’t–I can barely handle my own neuroses, I would never want to deal with something this serious in a partner.

The only way I know this chronology is by reading anti-RSO blogs that mention this guy (these are blogs go out of their way to find RSOs and post as much about them). According to them, he started a blog back in the mid-2000s to talk about his issues and advocate for better mental health treatment, so it would be less daunting for people to admit that they have a problem. He mentioned in this blog that he’d revealed his feelings to his family. Fast-forward a year or two and he was charged with the crime and eventually an R.S.O.

I can read this a couple of ways, honestly. He came out and then did something so incredibly stupid to his own family, the one group of people who knew IRL that he was someone to watch. Or, he came out and his sister/bro-in-law were so squicked out that they wanted him away from their daughter and so accused him of a false crime. (That’s the most generous reading of the timeline, obviously. I don’t buy it but I suppose it’s possible if they’re that freaked out by his admission.)

But who the hell knows the real story–well, only those involved I guess.

For. Realsies. Ever since I’ve known this and considered all the problems she’s making for herself by hooking up with someone with such issues, I’ve been thinking the same thing. Unfortunately this girl is hella loyal and if she’s your friend she’ll basically believe you make the sun and stars shine. Even our pretty distant relationship, she is constantly thanking me as if I’ve given her a million bucks for the tiniest things I do (and stuff she’s paying me to do, so it’s not like favors for which she should be grateful).

So I have the feeling she’s cast him in the role of Tortured Hero and she’s the Stoic Sweet Princess who brings out the prince in the beast. Everything I know about her fits this pattern–she’s one of those people who thinks the Phantom was a misunderstood hero in Phantom of the Opera. :rolleyes:

Frustrating but she’s a sweet girl. I just look forward to the day that either she finally gets her eyes opened, or somehow this all turns out to have a happy ending that I can’t actually envision.

Ridiculous oversimplification. The class of people I was logically referring to was convicted sex offenders who have served their sentences and been released.

But for that matter, even child molesters are people, and they do have rights. Otherwise, we could just crucify them or burn them alive, right? Or give them all life sentences regardless of their offenses, right? Oh, wait, internet registries…

I reiterate my point that we must be prepared to defend the rights of those in society who are the most despised, or nobody’s rights actually mean anything.

Pray tell, how has the sex offending pedophile in the OP had their rights challenged?

OP - Has she asked you for money?