Froggy went a'courtin'

“Yep, English. Then, Yankee. It was first printed in England in 1611 with the title, “A Most Strange Weddinge Of The Froge And The Mouse”. It first crossed the pond to New England with the Pilgrims & Puritans in the 1620s & 1630s before migrating south to the Blue Ridge & Appalachian areas where it became a “traditional American” tune.”

http://kristinhall.org/songbook/ClassicKids/FroggyWentACourtin.html

Unfortunately, the web page that offers this bit of history, offers no proof of citation for the information. Nonetheless, it seemed worth posting here, if for no other reason, than to send the next reader on a hunt to prove it!

Well, Froggy went a-courtin’ an’ he did ride, uh huh,
Froggy went a-courtin’ an’ he did ride, uh huh,
Froggy went a-courtin’ an’ he did ride,
Blablablablablablasumthin’ Bender is great,
Froggy went a courtin’ an’ Bender is great, uh-huh!

It doesn’t have to be gory, just end it early. “Miss Mousie will you marry me? mm-hmm.(3x) And then we two will happy be, mm-hmm.”

“Without my Uncle Rat’s consent, mm-hmm (3x) I would not wed the President, mm-hmm.”

“So Uncle Rat he went to town, mm-hmm (3x) and bought his niece a wedding gown mm-hmm.”

When I sang this to my son, I always ended it at that point.

Well, that was the end of him and her, uh-huh
that was the end of him and her, uh-huh
that was the end of him and her,
you won’t see no tadpoles covered in fur, uh-huh

David

I was unaware until I read this thread that ducks eat frogs. I was ready to make post stating that they do not, then I did a little research.

There is a version of this song on a CD of children’s music I play in the car for my daughter. In that version, the happy couple goes on a honeymoon to France after the wedding supper.

Moved MPSIMS --> Cafe Society.

I know this song from a Doc Watson album I have. His version of the lyrics can be found here. Not sure his version is for kids, either; part of it goes:

1. He rode right up to Miss Mousie’s door, ah hah, (repeat)
    And he hit it so hard that he made it roar, ah hah, ah hah, ah hah.

2. Then Miss Mousie let him in, ah hah, (repeat)
    And the way they courted, it was a sin, ah hah, ah hah, ah hah.

[light-hearted snark]You know, there’s this website called “Youtube” that has all sorts of songs and videos and things. You can search on them and everything. Going there and searching “froggy went a courtin” turns up 721 videos. [/LH snark]

If they had Youtube in the year 2000, that might have helped her.

Goodness!

Oh, dear. Has anyone mentioned the last verse with the zombies yet?

Zombies went a-walking and did they munch, uh-huh

And your cerebellum made a tasty lunch, uh-huh…

I had that record when I was a kid!

Apparently, it’s been re-released on CD, with a bunch more tracks than I remember on the original LP.

Okay, I have to ask… did anybody else think of Jerry Mouse’s guitar playing Uncle Pecos (who taught me the word “Crambone”)?

Post #13, yes. (Although, like you, I agree that it was “Crambone” not “HAMBONE”!)

There have probably been 180 new versions released since this thread started.
Besides the good Dylan version mentioned above, I have one by Mike Oldfield, of all people, which has the marry the president verse and then
Uncle Rat laughed and slapped his fat side
Uncle Rat laughed and slapped his fat side
To think his niece would be a bride.

They all get swallowed up by a big black snake in the end, but not as bloodily.

I’m betting there is a Folklore PhD dissertation out there somewhere evaluating all the versions.

I remember this by the Brothers Four:

As I recall the last verse went

“That’s it, Clyde, better hit the road, farewell.
That’s it, Clyde, better hit the road, goodbye.
That’s it, Clyde, better hit the road,
You ain’t no frog you’re a horny toad,
Farewell, goodbye, adios.
Farewell, goodbye, adios.”

I think it’s super weird that “King Kong Kitchie Kitchie Ki-Me-Oh” (spelling may vary, I think) is the same (sort of) as “Froggy Went a’ Courtin’”. It’s not the same melody, but it IS the same story and much of the same text.

I prefer KKKKKMO to FWaC. Check it out:

How catchy and sweet is that?